VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Recent post at Myce forum:

Sony says that “demand for physical media is contracting faster than anticipated,” especially in Europe. This does not bode well for the future of the Blu-ray format. Nor will it encourage others to invest in future optical formats for higher resolution video, like the upcoming 4k format. This will make distribution of ultra high definition video a tough nut to crack, as bandwidth restrictions and caps on downloading will discourage online delivery, and the consumer’s growing disdain for optical media undermines any confidence in yet another optical disc format.

More here:

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/financial/fr/13revision_sony.pdf
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  2. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Hopefully $ony does NOT speak for all the other manufacturers of optical media
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    BIG surprise .

It's not like people fell over themselves trying to buy BR players like they did when DVD came out.

4K video is silly anyway. What the hell is the point of quadrupling the pixel count when most people can't see all the detail on their 1080p screens?

I'd be surprised if there is any physical media 5 years from now. Streaming is the future, like it or not.
    Quote Quote  
  4. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Hoser Rob, where did you buy your crystal ball?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm somewhat amazed that streaming has succeeded to the extent that it has because of the higher cost and the fact that many people can't take advantage of it, but I can see the attraction streaming has (higher profits) for the parties involved in selling video.

The costs associated with it make streaming more expensive for the consumer than renting physical discs. ...and even in the US, a surprising number of people don't have a way to stream video because they don't have cable and the only Internet service available to them is insufficient for streaming video reliably.

In my case, renting from Redbox costs $1.20 to $1.50 per day per disc, and the library charges nothing. In contrast, my cable provider charges $5 per movie. Streaming from Netflix or Amazon would cost even more because in addition to the fee from whatever streaming service I used, I would need to pay an extra $20 or more per month to have enough bandwidth to stream reliably.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 1st May 2014 at 16:32. Reason: grammar
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I hear this all the time - "Physical media will be GONE in X years". It's simply untrue.

CDs are pretty ancient technology, yet not only do the blanks survive as does the physical CD audio, many countries STILL use VCD in Asia.

Currently many US consumers are obsessed with reducing clutter and getting rid of physical media, but what's true in the USA is not necessarily true elsewhere. Plus, some consumers simply want to buy product. Content providers are not stupid enough to willingly throw away that money when streaming is highly restricted in terms of content. Some content will NEVER stream - period.

Want an example of what I mean when I talk about how content is restricted? Go to Netflix and try to stream Taken or The Hangover, both big hit movies of the past 6 years.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    It should read:
    Sony says that “demand for SONY physical media is contracting faster than anticipated,”
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    And what about "You cannot Fast-Forward/Pause/Rewind with this material"? Or "BUFFERING..."? Or, watching part-way, but not picking up till a couple of days later, and having to pay a 2nd time? Or the simple fact that even the best streaming quality I have seen is worlds worse than most BD releases and even many DVD releases?

I make use of many avenues of media:
    *3DBD, BD, and DVD and CD purchases
    *Used 3DBD, BD and DVD and CD purchases
    * BD & DVD Rentals (both Redbox & Brick&Mortar stores)
    *Free (all media) Loaners from the Library
    *Netflix DVD rentals
    *Netflix (and probably soon Hulu+ and/or Amazon) streaming rental
    *Standard Network & Cable offerings from my STB
    *Comcast VOD (mixed with DVR'd stuff)
    *YT & other standard free-to-view web channels
    *(only VERY occasionally) PPV premium stuff
    probably others...
    But I don't intend to restrict those choices and would only do so if that avenue completely dried up and wasn't even available any more.
    I don't think other people are that different, so SURE, there's going to be a change in the percentage of the pie, but if the pie is getting BIGGER anyway, who's to say that there still won't be net growth for years to come?

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 2nd May 2014 at 01:17.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    shouldn't that have been "demand for all sony products is contracting faster than anticipated"? except maybe the ps4.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  10. Sony has vested interests in "helping" people give up physical media, distribute Paramount's content cheaply and use the PS3-4 to deliver it to your eyeballs.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    It should read:
    Sony says that “demand for SONY physical media is contracting faster than anticipated,”
    I think this needs to be reworded for better accuracy:

"SONY is contracting faster than anticipated".
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know where people are going to get money for all the new crap, when we're barely getting to enjoy the old crap.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Steve(MS) View Post
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    It should read:
    I think this needs to be reworded for better accuracy:

"SONY is contracting faster than anticipated".
    Reductio ad absurdum:

"SONY is constipated."

That's what happens when they shove their collective head where it doesn't belong. Ignore the will of the market at your own peril.

Seriously though, I love physical media. I continue to buy DVDs, Blu-rays, CDs, and vinyl records, but my desire to buy from companies that routinely punish everyone just to get at a few pirates is extremely low. And that's saying nothing about the garbage that these major companies put out.

Streaming is nice if you don't mind reduced quality, paying for more bandwidth, having to move to an area that even provides said bandwidth, and dealing with monthly data caps. We're a long way from ubiquitous, high bandwidth, high data cap service that can handle BD quality. Until then, physical media should remain.
    valvehead//
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If u want quality and features then Physical media will remain forever.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!