VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm trying to convert some old mkv to avi for a standalone dvd player.

The audio is unfortunately vorbis but the video stream is fine for direct copy (xvid).

Popcorn MKV seems to do this just fine and the file plays perfect in windows but the standalone stutters on the playback.

When I recode the audio from mp3 to mp3 via virtualdub, the problem goes away (same direct copy video stream).

So Popcorn MKV is somehow making illegal audio (or out of bounds somehow) for the standalone.

I cannot find any tools out there to analyze audio off avi to see what might be wrong.

Are there alternatives to Popcorn (for batches) ?

I noticed Popcorn uses besweet which calls Lame but there is no way to change (or examine) the parameters it's using. So there must be a bad parameter in there and I need more control.

Many thanks for any suggestions!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Hmm, thanks for the suggestion, I will look into it.

Meanwhile I tried a few things like divfix++ and rederiving the keyframe flags.

What DID work, but is a total pain in the butt to do:

extract the audio to external mp3 - then reinterleave the video+external audio

Seems to be in perfect sync too - just way too much work.

So that implies a bad index but then divfix++ doesn't solve it? Weird.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Aha! I found an automated fix, here's how I did it to help others in the future:

1. install avidemux
    2. go into the GUI tools -> Preferences -> Automation -> check "Automatically rebuild index"
    3. then run this cli batch which will grab all the files in a directory and run them through the i&b frame rebuild
    Code:
    for %i in (*); do "c:\avidemux\avidemux2_cli.exe" --load "%i" --save "g:\temp\%i" --quit
    (obviously you might have to change your source path and destination path for your environment)

Basically it just rebuilds the index on each file and resaves it to the destination as a direct stream copy.

For some reason the re-derive keyframes on virtualdub did NOT fix the problem, but this did.

and avidemux is much faster than virtualdubs keyframes, it takes about 20 seconds per file
    Quote Quote