VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have this question because this tape have some problems at the start of the video but the rest of the videos seems to be perfect without glitches and dropouts.

And I donīt want to think my QTGMC is damaged and is deinterlacing my videos bad.

[Attachment 74111 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Those look like dot crawl artifacts.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dot_crawl
    Any way to remove these artifacts? I read that is more present in NTSC but in some cases also in PAL. I donīt know if is caused by bad deinterlacing by QTGMC or is my camera producing these artifacts.

I can get these artifacts even in professional cameras and the only way should be a filter? Also it can happen more with composite or S-video analog ports but I used a I.Link port connected to a firewire card and from what I see even in digital signals such as firewire you can get these artifacts also.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Dot crawl artifacts are caused by incomplete removal of the chroma carrier from the luma in composite video when digitizing. They can happen with both NTSC and PAL. The best way to avoid them is to capture s-video rather than composite. For example, use an S-VHS deck and s-video cables rather an a VHS deck with composite cables. If that's not possible you can remove them in software, at the cost of blurring the picture a bit. AviSynth has dot crawl removal filters, CheckMate for example.

You'll need to provide a video sample to say for sure that this is dot crawl. Do not process or compress the video before uploading.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    removal = re-capture
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank Discs • Best TBCs • Best VCRs for capture • Restore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Dot crawl artifacts are caused by incomplete removal of the chroma carrier from the luma in composite video when digitizing. They can happen with both NTSC and PAL. The best way to avoid them is to capture s-video rather than composite. For example, use an S-VHS deck and s-video cables rather an a VHS deck with composite cables. If that's not possible you can remove them in software, at the cost of blurring the picture a bit. AviSynth has dot crawl removal filters, CheckMate for example.

You'll need to provide a video sample to say for sure that this is dot crawl. Do not process or compress the video before uploading.
    The problem is that iīm not using composite video to transfer video... Iīm using the firewire port to a firewire card and get my videos via the codec DV 25 mbps and I am getting this issue with firewire also from what I am seeing.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    removal = re-capture
    What do you mean exactly with "re-capture"?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Means do it again the right way. Try to avoid DV codec.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    What do you mean... Stop using firewire?? Also I use VirtualDub to do it I donīt know exactly what I am doing wrong...
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    It can happen more frequently with old "damaged" tapes? Just to know because the tape had some problems but just at the start of the video.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Joscraft_05 View Post
    The problem is that iīm not using composite video to transfer video... Iīm using the firewire port to a firewire card and get my videos via the codec DV 25 mbps and I am getting this issue with firewire also from what I am seeing.
    If you're capturing from analog tape there is a composite signal somewhere in your capture process. Are you saying you're capturing from DV tape recorded natively by a DV camcorder? Or a DV camcorder that was used to record (or passthough) an analog tape? The tiny image you posted makes it impossible to say for sure what's going on. You need to post a video sample.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by Joscraft_05 View Post
    If you're capturing from analog tape there is a composite signal somewhere in your capture process. Are you saying you're capturing from DV tape recorded natively by a DV camcorder? Or a DV camcorder that was used to record (or passthough) an analog tape? The tiny image you posted makes it impossible to say for sure what's going on. You need to post a video sample.
    Sorry for the really bad quality post. All of these Video 8 (analog) tapes was recorded and used with a Digital 8 sony DCR-TRV255E. And using firewire to transfer them to my PC using QTGMC in Staxrip. So yeah my video 8 tapes was recorded natively in a DV camcorder.
    Last edited by Joscraft_05; 2nd Oct 2023 at 13:25.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    If you can't capture the analog signal from the camcorder and have to use firewire then Vdub is the wrong app, Use WinDV or Sclive.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    If you can't capture the analog signal from the camcorder and have to use firewire then Vdub is the wrong app, Use WinDV or Sclive.
    Oh I used sclive and WinDV before and it happen also. Can happen because of the Video 8 tapes that are analog?
    Last edited by Joscraft_05; 2nd Oct 2023 at 13:59.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Post a short sample of the DV footage right after you capture it with Sclive and before you butcher it with other programs, We'll let you know for sure what's going on. If you can't provide a short original DV sample, I'm afraid no one here can do anything to help you. In any case vdub is the wrong tool for DV, so stop using it and use Sclive or WinDV.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    Post a short sample of the DV footage right after you capture it with Sclive and before you butcher it with other programs, We'll let you know for sure what's going on. If you can't provide a short original DV sample, I'm afraid no one here can do anything to help you. In any case vdub is the wrong tool for DV, so stop using it and use Sclive or WinDV.
    Now I canīt but the next day I will post a sample of the same footage original without deinterlacing it with other programs.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    Already. Here is the video .avi original from the tape.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  17. I don't see any dot crawl artifacts in that clip. Just a little DCT blocking and ringing -- typical of DV. Nothing like the image in your first post. What QTGMC settings were you using?

Code:
    LWLibavVideoSource("C:\Users\John\Desktop\Test video.avi", cache=false, prefer_hw=2) 
    QTGMC()
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I don't see any dot crawl artifacts in that clip. Just a little DCT blocking and ringing -- typical of DV. Nothing like the image in your first post. What QTGMC settings were you using?

Code:
    LWLibavVideoSource("C:\Users\John\Desktop\Test video.avi", cache=false, prefer_hw=2) 
    QTGMC()
    I use QTGMC in Staxrip. QTGMC preset medium, interlaced, preset of staxrip also in medium, x264, MKV and CRF in 6 for no compression by the program.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Oops, I forgot to upload the sample in post #18. It's included here.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Oops, I forgot to upload the sample in post #18. It's included here.
    Interesting. What was your configuration, deinterlace filter and program you used?
    Quote Quote  
  21. I gave the entire script in post #18. I ran 64 bit AviSynth+. I used VirtualDub2 to preview the script. Then I used the x264 command line encoder to encode the script.
    Quote Quote