VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Of late I've been toying with streaming P2P services and apps from China and Japan but they always seem to lag so badly and there doesn't sem to be anything I can do about it. The media boxes and apps use P2P so if there aren't enough people using the app and that channel, then all these problems crop up. Are there any other servers I can try to improve things? Some stuff works okay, like the TVpad boxes and the Ipad apps since there are a lot of users for those systems but things like the Chinese TV app for my Blackberry Playbook only work so-so since there are few users.

I do like the Blackberry Playbook Tablet TV app though. Gives me about 75 channels in Canada and the US, using the right proxies. You can get rid of cable TV!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I realize this is not what you are asking about and therefore it may completely useless to you, but I'll pass it on anyway in case it helps. The very biggest and most popular Asian TV shows are sometimes fan subbed into English and available for download via various P2P networks dedicated to Asian TV shows. If you have very specific wants this can be a good way to go. You just wait for the download to complete and watch at your convenience. I've done that with a handful of somewhat older Japanese TV shows. If you have a Usenet subscription you can also sometimes find a few of the shows this way too. I've seen a few shows on Usenet that are not fansubbed but as I cannot speak any Asian languages those are not useful to me. If you don't need English subtitles you could probably find a good number of shows on various P2P networks after they are broadcast to download and watch as you wish.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried to watch the first episode of Space Battleship Yamato 2199 on Fami-Gekijou TV using an online paid P2P service. The lag was so bad I ended up mostly with frozen screens and some dialogue. I will buy the Blu Ray disc of the episodes when it comes out in May as it will be subbed in English by the releasing studio. That will be a plus as that series progresses. There will be no need of fan subs. That showing was the first ever showing of that series. I am able to get watchable quality on many Japanese channels using Keyhole so long as there are a large enough number of people also watching. Ditto on the various Chinese TV apps and boxes. That is a big drawback of P2P technology for streaming. The distance is also bad as well, the time difference means many shows that might be popular here have to be watched when they are on in China or Japan with a 13 hour time difference! Too much for me unless the software can be set up to act like a PVR and record shows for later viewing. But there are many stations of canned shows, some I've found, with English subtitles. That is indeed a plus. As for the Us/Canada/UK stuff, streaming is done differently, so I hardly have to buffer anything. There are several proxy services, some free, some paid that get around regional content concerns so I'm experimenting with those as well. Once I have enough info, I can inform people who have asked what is out there. The easiest is the streamer boxes which require little computer knowledge. Great for older folks who want TV from back home but may be limited by what is available in their adopted country. The boxes are quite popular and are available from stores in many cities as well as online. The apps for tablets are also popular as they are cheap and work within the aforementioned limitations. Still looking for ways to improve things though as well as finding out what else is out there...
    Quote Quote