VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How do I load a demuxed H264 file onto a script that works?

I have tried several ways and they are rejected by AvsP.

Which is the correct way to do it?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    directshowsource("c:\path to\yourvideo.h264",audio=false)
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
  3. Or just dont bother with the demux and use something like:

Code:
    Directshowsource("myfile.mkv",fps=xxx, audio=false)
    xxx would be the frame rate of the video file.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by freebird73717
    directshowsource("c:\path to\yourvideo.h264",audio=false)
    Still not working. It begins to load, but it timeouts after not being able to load with F5 on AvsP.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Do you have a directshow filter for h264? A combination of FFDShow and Haali Media Splitter works great for me with mkv and h264.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mh2360
    Or just dont bother with the demux and use something like:

Code:
    Directshowsource("myfile.mkv",fps=xxx, audio=false)
    xxx would be the frame rate of the video file.
    The reason I am demuxing this mkv file instead of processing it directly, is because what I am getting is an m2p file with the subtitles burned in.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by freebird73717
    Do you have a directshow filter for h264? A combination of FFDShow and Haali Media Splitter works great for me with mkv and h264.
    What do you mean if I have a directshow filter for h264? How do I know I have one? Do I have to set things differently than usual on directshow?
    Quote Quote  
  8. If the original file plays OK in Windows Media Player, then you should have all the required codecs and filters.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mh2360
    If the original file plays OK in Windows Media Player, then you should have all the required codecs and filters.
    OK. Just tested and it plays fine in WMP. Even if never use it for that. I prefer VLC.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Did you test the playback of the raw h.264 in MPC or with a container?

ffdshow doesn't reliably decode raw avc properly in my experience. The Divx h.264 decoder generally does a better job

Another option is to use DGAVCIndex (similar to DGIndex for MPEG2 sources) to index it if the source is progressive (it has issues with interlaced h.264)

The reason I am demuxing this mkv file instead of processing it directly, is because what I am getting is an m2p file with the subtitles burned in.
    If they are burned in, then demuxing it won't do anything. They will still be burned in. If they are external subs, use mkvmerge to checkmark wanted items, uncheckmark unwanted items (i.e. remove subs), and re-wrap your .mkv
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You could also use avc2avi to place the h264 in an avi container.
    Quote Quote  
  12. m2p file
    Just to add, if the container was a transport stream (.m2ts, .mts, .ts), not .mkv, do the same thing (remux without subs) except with tsmuxer instead of mkvmerge. I have no idea what a m2p file is.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray
    Did you test the playback of the raw h.264 in MPC or with a container?
    I have two demuxed H264 files: one from MKVExtractGui and the other from DGAVCIndex. None of them plays in MPC. How do I exactly put an H264 in a container?

ffdshow doesn't reliably decode raw avc properly in my experience. The Divx h.264 decoder generally does a better job
    I was advised to use DSS2 too, as being more precise, but I can't make it work either. Probably because the container is not right.

Another option is to use DGAVCIndex (similar to DGIndex for MPEG2 sources) to index it if the source is progressive (it has issues with interlaced h.264)
    How do I know if the source is progressive? I already indexed the files with DGAVCIndex. How do I load them into a script? What I got was a dga file which I am not sure how to load.

If they are burned in, then demuxing it won't do anything. They will still be burned in. If they are external subs, use mkvmerge to checkmark wanted items, uncheckmark unwanted items (i.e. remove subs), and re-wrap your .mkv
    OK. That was it. The subs are external. I did remux it with mkvmerge and voilá: the new file is clean of ghost subs.

Good!
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just to add, if the container was a transport stream (.m2ts, .mts, .ts), not .mkv, do the same thing (remux without subs) except with tsmuxer instead of mkvmerge.
    Just curious: why tsmuxer instead of mkvmerge?

I have no idea what a m2p file is.
    Sorry, m2v.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Just curious: why tsmuxer instead of mkvmerge?
    If the starting point was a transport stream, it has better support for transport streams. Similarly mkvmerge has better support for mkv

Just for completeness, you would use DGAVCIndex in a similar way to DGIndex (have a look at the quickstart page) which I know that you can use . The dga file is analogous to a d2v file for DGIndx

LoadPlugin("PATH\DGAVCDecode.dll")
    AVCSource("file.dga")
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just curious: why tsmuxer instead of mkvmerge?
    If the starting point was a transport stream, it has better support for transport streams. Similarly mkvmerge has better support for mkv
    What would be a likely transport stream there? .m2ts, .mts, .ts? Right?

Just for completeness, you would use DGAVCIndex in a similar way to DGIndex (have a look at the quickstart page) which I know that you can use . The dga file is analogous to a d2v file for DGIndx

LoadPlugin("PATH\DGAVCDecode.dll")
    AVCSource("file.dga")
    Great info, Poison. Thank you very much.

Any difference in starting a conversion from an mkv stream or a demuxed dga stream?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Any difference in starting a conversion from an mkv stream or a demuxed dga stream?
    It would be easier with the container, not using a demuxed stream (often you have to edit the .dga file, to set the correct fps or you get sync issues - a raw avc stream has no fps information and is set to 25 by default). The benefit of using DGAVCIndex, is that it indexes the stream and is frame accurate. DirectShowSource() for linear seeks (plain encoding) should be fine, or as you said earlier DSS2()

What would be a likely transport stream there? .m2ts, .mts, .ts? Right?
    correct, eg. a blu-ray source, an AVCHD camcorder, or a hdtv capture are common examples
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    some demuxers give you a file with .h264 extension, you may need to change the extension to .264.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mgh
    some demuxers give you a file with .h264 extension, you may need to change the extension to .264.
    Maybe I'm old, but I miss the practical things we had in Win 3.X!

How do you change extensions in XP?
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK. Now let me tell you another different story, that is happening with a different film, which never happened before.

I have an MKV file stream that I converted with avisynth. Everything seems fine.

So I load everything onto DVDLab Pro, which is the program I author with. Already made hundreds DVDs with, so I think I know my way around it. I load the files, load my sub streams (that didn't come with the file) and burn the disc .

When I go check the vob files, below every single sub line, very small down below, there's a small line of characters. Not letters, sometimes numbers.

Now where did that come from?

I've already put up this question in DVDLab Pro forums, with no luck so far.

Any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  21. Are you sure you did the .m2v asset was clean (not hardcoded) ? Check with a media player
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Are you sure you did the .m2v asset was clean (not hardcoded) ? Check with a media player
    To make this task short: went through the original MKV stream with mkvmerge too and remuxed onto a new MKV. That fixed the problem in that film too. Strange thing is there was not a sub stream listed there, but the remuxing seems to have fixed the problem.

BTW: how and where do I check if an .m2v asset is clean?
    Quote Quote