VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I am having trouble extracting Blu Ray subs for a English dubbed Anime series, they are fully functional playing but the subs are awful, huge letters and off set to the right, i was going to extract them using MKV Extract GUI as usual, as they are MKV and then edti the format and remux..but

they wont extract.... i get pop ups saying what extension to you want to use? i have no idea what to enter. I am NOT an expert, can barely do the re muxing if all works. so i thought to ask here.

any advice on this would be very welcome, i want to watch them using english subs and the original Japanese language audio tracks. there are two sub tracks, but both are in the same s_hdmv/pgs format.

any tips? i have seen past posts saying past versions of MKV tools dont like pgs. I see also discussion of this such as:

I did manage to extract the concerned files as also all the other tracks too using tSmuxerGUI. What I got were .sub files. I know that .sub files are certainly NOT text files but binary files. Next step will be to convert these .sub files to .srt files using the best freeware conversion tool SubEdit. I will also test the file with mkvcleaver and see how it goes.
    ...so will i end up with .sub files that need coversion even if i can get MKV Extract to grab them? sorry if i know so little yet but any advice is very welcome. I am not great with the techical side, 40 years of being an artist have given me giant right brain powers but nadda or little on the other side..but i will do my best. thanks in advance.

When i open an episode of the series in MKVExtract GUI 1.6.3 what I see is:

Track IK 1: video (V_MPG4/ISO/AVC)
    Track ID 2: audio (A_AAC)
    Track ID 3: audio (A_AAC)
    Track ID:4: Subtitles (S_HDM/PGS)
    Track ID 5: subtitles (S_HDM/PGS)
    Chapters

when i click on one of the sub titles and try to extract i get a pop up saying:

Unknown Format for MKV Extract GUI

Type in an extension that is associated with this type of track:

and a little window to enter an extension...

if i try to run the extract, and ignore the pop up window, it says de muxed successfully but there is no file output.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Deceased
    Search PM
    See next message...
    Last edited by blimey; 28th Apr 2014 at 12:20.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    wow that was fast.

OK thanks so much. I will try that. i really appreciate it. My hope is to be able to edit the subs and then re mux it..were you able to do that?

thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try using gMKVExtractGUI and/or MKVCleaver, along with a recent version of mkvtoolnix, to extract from MKVs. The original MKVExtractGUI (as well as MKVExtractGUI-2) haven't been updated in a long while, and may not know how to handle everything that can be found in an MKV container (that, and they tend not to work well (or at all) with the more recent versions of mkvtoolnix).
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    OK i will try re installing the latest versions, i bet i have old ones. Here's hoping it works. thanks for the help.

I like your avatar name...reminds me of /....... Akihabara
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!