VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I don't know if this is the right spot for this but I really need some help I have several MP4 videos the are playing as dubble image on VLC and Windows media player I have a program called Freemake video converter and I have tried converting the files to MKV (just to see what would happen) and I even burned them off to DVD and nothing is working here is a picture of what one video look like Click image for larger version

Name:	halp.png
Views:	274
Size:	947.4 KB
ID:	25778
    Last edited by parsons483; 17th Jun 2014 at 10:13.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I'm moving you to our general video section. This is not off topic.

Isn't that a 3d video for 3dtvs?
    Quote Quote  
  3. thank you and no
    Quote Quote  
  4. looks like a normal sbs encode, if it isn't a sbs encode some detailed mediainfo might shed some light on the subject,..
    Quote Quote  
  5. From a quick cross-eye check, it appears someone made an sbs encode of a 2D source.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    That's EXACTLY what this is, smrpix. Or, at least that portion of the video has little-to-NO 3D in it.

But yes, parsons483, that video is encoded in "sbs 3D" (aka Side-by-Side 3D), a common form for sending stereo 3D material through 2D channel. I'm guessing that whoever encoded this didn't really know what they were doing, and so ended up encoding identical perspectives from the same 2D source. Who knows, maybe they thought the app would "create 3D from 2D", which as well all know is not likely to look even close to good using simpleton apps.

If you want this to get back to a normal 2D image, you'll have to crop out 1/2 the image and then resize to fill back to the original resolution. There are some fairly simple AVISynth scripts that can do this, but I am reluctant to take you down that path if you are already struggling with Freemake.
    The cropping+resizing WILL lose quality (as would the re-encoding to another lossy format).

BTW, neither Freemake nor most other "converter" apps would be able to "FIX" this by a mere conversion to another codec or container (which is what you have so far attempted). It requires PROCESSING the image first.

You already have a "compromised" image (only 1/2 horizontal resolution), which won't get better even though you may succeed in cropping+resizing. It'll always be reduced quality. Is that what you want? Why don't you get a replacement copy, that is appropriately created, from your source?

Scott
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!