VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    I'm new to the HD world and have a question. I'm seriously considering the Sony HDR-HC7 mini dv camcorder and would like to know if it records in both 16.9 & 4:3 formats. I have two late model HD televisions, but they are not widescreen. I guess i'm old school, but I still like the 4:3 format. If you have this camera and/or if you know the answer to my question please let me know. Your help would be most apreciated. Thanks, Ray
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    One Touch Wide Angle Shooting
    Easily switch between 16:9 and 4:3 aspect ratios for shooting, with just the touch of a button.
    http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&stor...uctId=11039061
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Baldrick!, Sorry about the cross threading.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    HD is defined to be 16:9 by all international standards. These camcorders shoot DV in 4:3 or 16:9 but HD is 16:9. You can always window for 4:3. Most programs are shot to work in static 4:3 (e.g. no pan or scan).
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have the HDR-HC7
    I like the quality of the shot quite a bit.
    Only thing I'm not crazy about is sometimes the autofocus delivers blurry shots.
    My 2 cents worth.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all,
    I understand that 16:9 is Hi Def and 4:3 is not. It's just that I have a 36" and 52" late model HD televisions that have great picture quality. Investing in widescreens isn't in my plans. I do own the Sony DCR-VX2100 which I simply love and can't say enough about. I would be using the Sony HDR-HC7 for on the fly situations such as; boating, snowmobiling, etc..
    The still picture quality along with great video quality is what drew me to this particular camera. It's like having two compact camera's in one. Plus already having memory sticks is a plus.
    P.S. A little off the subject; I've been using Pinnacle editing software all the way through 10.5 versions which has been nothing but a nightmare for the past 5 years. I just purchased Sony Vegas Pro 8 in which I've heard nothing but great reviews, we'll see.
    Thanks for all the input, and looking forward to more from you user's out there. Thanks again, Ray
    Quote Quote  
  7. Just in case you need a place to keep the documentation and service links for the Sony HDR-7 I included a copy of my personal file.

http://personafile.com/SONY-Camcorder-High-Definition-Handycam-Camcorder-HDR-HC7-P027242000084.htm

All the best,
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    half the users guide is dedicated to stills which I found annoying...
    Quote Quote