VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am looking for not very complicated way of getting CRT off effect. Something like this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4Wt23WPvZg

Can anyone recommend me any tools/software packages to do that?
    Quote Quote  
  2. So, super moderator has decided to close a similar (but no the same) thread where I was asking about different effect. Here is the link of that thread, if you know how to do that effect, please let me know: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/367641-How-to-get-this-effect
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The first one is a tool in Sony Vegas called "TV Simulator".

The second one is simple to do. Two black shapes converging over the background. [WRONG! See Next Post]

You will need an NLE that can do compositing(layering).
    Last edited by budwzr; 8th Oct 2014 at 13:26.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Click image for larger version

Name:	TVon-off-nd.gif
Views:	399
Size:	921.7 KB
ID:	27933

The above GIF shows a similar effect made using AviUtl (free).
    The effect is accessed by:

Animation Effect> [Satsuki] > TV_On-Off@ANM2-EN
    Stopping development until someone save me from poverty or get me out of Hong Kong...
    Twitter @MaverickTse
    Quote Quote  
  5. For effect from closed thread you need 2d/3d filter capable to use video as texture and apply variable distortions.
    Check blender eventually synfig, not sure about lua (FLuaG https://github.com/Youka/FLuaG )under Avisynth
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If we look at the phone animation frame-by-frame, it's pretty simple:

They flip the image, and squeeze it down vertically, to a sliver, then squeeze again horizontally. But to make it really pop, they fade to white along the way, and at the very end, fade to black.

Flipping the image conveys the mental idea of the beginning of a shutdown sequence, did you notice that? It throws off your eye so the start of the transform looks more "electronic". More "StarTrekkie".

I learned a lot from this too.
    Last edited by budwzr; 8th Oct 2014 at 19:05.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I have also analyzed that video frame-by-frame. I have decided to go with Vegas. It took me few hours to replicate this (I have not used this software before).

Thank you all for help.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Just to add to budwzr's breakdown, there is also a layered dual image, and you can add an afterglow/afterimage as in the video sample (hard to see in the gif) to make it look more real .
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Just to add to budwzr's breakdown, there is also a layered dual image, and you can add an afterglow/afterimage as in the video sample (hard to see in the gif) to make it look more real .
    Yeah, Good eye. I see that double image with an offset. I think there might even be a dissolve in there, or maybe that's GIF artefacts. And I just noticed some light from the phone spilling onto the fingertips. Now that's the sign of a pro right there.

All these little individual artistic flairs, when pulled together, create the magic.

The Voo-Doo that Yoo-Doo, so well. (Harvey Korman, "Blazing Saddles")

Mwahhahaha.
    Last edited by budwzr; 8th Oct 2014 at 21:33.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!