VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK, so I ready several threads and still don't see a simple answer.

I have a number of files ( such as from youtube and a few old home movies taken from vcr tapes ), that downloaded in parts ( part 1 of 4, part 2 of 4, .....).

They are in formats such as mpg, mp4, avi, flv,....

All I want to do is join these together into one file ( I understand there may be a limit that mpg files can only join with mpg files ... that is ok ... I am guessing there is programs that will convert them first to the same format, do not have to happen in the same program, most of the ones I want to join are of the same format).

I tried downloading two "free" programs.

Both were full of malware ..... one was so bad I had to reload my computer, took over everything!

Is there a decent free program that I can download, not full of spyware and malware, that will split and joining video files?

I have found dozens but when I read the views, I get confused. How can one person say it is a great program and another say don't download it because it is full of malware ???

Thanks so much ...... Mike
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There's no free lunch. Get a decent NLE like Sony Movie Studio, cheapest version. The cheapest one is here: http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/moviestudio
    Quote Quote  
  3. All I want to do is join these together
    Most converters can do that.

You could try Video to Video (No malware) and use Join under Tools.

This will re-encode your files to one joined file with the settings you choose.

I understand there may be a limit that mpg files can only join with mpg files
    This is only true if you try to join without re-encoding. But that the files uses a common container (MKV, MP4, AVI ....) is no guarantee that thay have a common format. They need to have same resolution, framerate ....
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by xtal_01 View Post
    OK, so I ready several threads and still don't see a simple answer.

I have a number of files ( such as from youtube and a few old home movies taken from vcr tapes ), that downloaded in parts ( part 1 of 4, part 2 of 4, .....).

They are in formats such as mpg, mp4, avi, flv,....
    Understand something about "formats". mp4, avi, etc., are containers, not formats. They can accept several compression codecs. MPEG is also a container but can be encoded with MPEG2 or MPEG1. All of these videos can be in the same "format" but have different image structures (interlaced, progressive, telecined, etc.), different frame sizes, different audio types, and so on. Stuff you get off UTube is usually progressive and with different frame sizes, which can't be joined. Videos of the same type downloaded as Part 1, Part 2, etc., usually have common properties. Usually. But some parts can have structural problems that prevent proper joining. True, there are "standards" out there, many of which are usually broken by retards who don't know what they're doing.

No single editor can handle anything and everything. It's easier to convert/re-encode to common properties before joining. SONY's Movie Studio or Movie Studio Platinum is one favorite that can decode/convert/re-encode many formats. You might run into oddball videos that require some kind of mod or repair with special editors or something like Avisynth or VirtualDub and specific codecs.

Unfortunately there's no "read my mind" edition of any editor. You have to learn to recognize and manage many different video properties.

Originally Posted by xtal_01 View Post
    I tried downloading two "free" programs.

Both were full of malware ..... one was so bad I had to reload my computer, took over everything!
    Can't advise -- we have no idea which programs you're talking about. Many freebies contain extra "tools" such as toolbars, etc., having nothing to do with video. You can always decline to install them. In our tools section, most of the listed apps will indicate if these "extras" are involved.
    Last edited by LMotlow; 7th Oct 2014 at 23:25.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Awesome! I have a much better understanding already ... at least I understand what I am looking for!

I do realize I need to learn a lot more. A while back, I was trying to convert files using a program called "super" converter program. It truly did everything ... and that was the problem. I realized very quickly I didn't know enough even to put in the correct setting ( frame rates and such).

I am hoping that if I just want to join items ( such as you tube parts1, 2, 3, .... and home movies that I converted myself ... had a simple tool that connected my vhs unit to a usb port ... I hope I was smart enough to use the same setting) that there should be minimal issues.

Thanks so very much for all the advice!!!!!!!!!

Mike
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That's quite a mix of file formats. Not all video editors are going to be able to work with all of those formats (mov, avi, flv, mpg, etc).

What you might want to do is get a screen capture program. Those are cheap and will allow you to capture video and audio and save it to one type of file (say, .mov). Then they will be a lot easier to combine using whatever editing program you've downloaded.

I use iShowU on a mac. This has been working great to capture anything that will display on my computer screen, and audio. You can find all kinds of screen capture software out there. Usually when you download a free one or a trial version, it's going to put a watermark on your videos so watch out for that.
    Lowell Niles
    Creative Director, Sunword Studios
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sony has Movie Studio (veeery basic) and Movie Studio Platinum. The "Movie Maker" in post #4 takes you to Windows Movie Maker Live, which is not the same software.
    The Sony link in this post shows the Platinum version.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by vkmast View Post
    Sony has Movie Studio (veeery basic) and Movie Studio Platinum. The "Movie Maker" in post #4 takes you to Windows Movie Maker Live, which is not the same software.
    The Sony link in this post shows the Platinum version.
    Sorry 'bout that. I corrected my post. The SONY product is the one to shoot for. Microsoft's Movie Maker is the one to dump.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  9. Try AviUtl (free).
    Get the one hosted on Videohelp.com and no where else. (one or two anti-virus program may give a false-positive warning though)
    Except some variable-framerate video(particularly old rmvb and WMV8) and script-ladden FLV, most popular format should be usable.

Other free alternatives are FFmpeg and AviSynth
    Stopping development until someone save me from poverty or get me out of Hong Kong...
    Twitter @MaverickTse
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you got that much malware just trying to install a couple of editors you'll need to develop some sense when searching. For example, not just clicking the first thing you see in google.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!