VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello All,

I am new here and need some help. I have some old mp4 video that I shot a few years back using a Flip Camera. Output is mp4.

When I shot the video (which is about 15 minutes in length), it was recorded vertically and horizontally. At the time I did not realize that when I turned the camera, that it would record the image horizontally.

I now want to edit the video so that it screens vertical (upright) throughout it's length.

Looking for recommendations on FREE software that I can use to accomplish this task.

Thanks in advance.

GTT
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You'll have to cut the file into sections: those that are portrait mode (taller than wide) and those that are landscape mode (wider than tall).

Beforehand, if sections within those need to be rotated, use something like Virtualdub or AVIDemux to rotate just that section and save as an uncompressed or losslessly-compressed intermediate file.

This problem is basically an aspect ratio problem, just like adjusting between 4:3 DAR and 16:9 DAR footage, but a little more extreme.

Just like with any Aspect Ratio conformance problem, you have 3 main options of getting your landscape footage into portrait mode:
    1. Letterbox (but you'll have HUGE bars)
    2. Pan & Scan (aka Zoom & Crop), and yes, you will lose the side info and lots of original resolution
    3. Stretch anamorphically (but circles & squares will be ovals & rectangles, and people will look too thin)

I have 2 other side-run suggestions, though:
    4. Edit/composite your footage so when you need to show landscape-based footage, you simultaneously show 2 at a time, stacked vertically. Then, you might not even need to crop, or if you do it won't be much at all.
    5. Re-shoot your footage correctly. End of problem.

Regardless, try either/both of the 2 aforementioned apps, and do yourself a favor and save to lossless intermediate until you've created your edited master. THEN, make a compressed distribution copy...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!