VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi Everyone, I really need alot of help on what filters to use in avisynth/virtualdub to help clear this laserdisc capture.
    I attached a sample clip below and some images. Im trying to make it look more HQ as the best it can.

This is the avisynth scipt that I have so far, I dont even know if its right. Just been going through different filters and testing
    what it does and see if it makes it look better. I noticed their are a lot of different dust/scratches randomly throughout the whole film and tried to use SpotRemover in Virtualdub and also tried Despot, but I was so confused on how to use them correctly. Please suggest any filters that will clean this up a bit, I really appreciate it for your help.

I attached new sample files below that weren't re-encoded.

Code:
    DirectShowSource ("C:\Users\Angel\Desktop\Engine1.ts")
    AssumeTFF()
    TFM(mode=1, pp=0)
    Tdecimate(mode=1)
    Click image for larger version

Name:	TEST1.avi_snapshot_00.28_[2014.03.08_02.02.44].png
Views:	611
Size:	638.2 KB
ID:	23960Click image for larger version

Name:	TEST1.avi_snapshot_00.24_[2014.03.08_02.02.17].png
Views:	528
Size:	629.5 KB
ID:	23961

Image Attached Files
    Last edited by angelroj7; 8th Mar 2014 at 05:12.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Trying to understand what you're doing here. Are you capturing to lossy MPEG or h264? These are not "editable" formats for the kind of cleanup you're attempting. Your sample clip is VAC/h264 and appears to be re-encoded, making noise and other problems worse. Below are 2X blowups of two areas of frame 780 inverse telecined but otherwise unprocessed). You can clean this noise, with the result that you'll get banding in your final encode. You've also used AVC/MPEG encoding at YUY2 and with the wrong audio sampling rate and audio mp2 compression for AVCHD/DVD, so I'm not sure what you want for output. The audio duration in your sample is slightly shorter than the duration of the video. Don't be surprised if you encounter audio sync problems, although sync can be fixed later.

[Attachment 23737 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 23738 - Click to enlarge]

I suggest that you not "edit" with non-smart rendering NLE's. When working with animation and doing a ton of cleanup, work with lossless. The re-encoding noise shown in these images will be difficult to clean without serious loss of detail. The images also show DCT ringing, and many frames are outside RGB-16-240 spec when viewed as RGB.

Why are you resizing to 640x480? What do you want for final output?
    Last edited by sanlyn; 19th Mar 2014 at 03:29.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    You need to do 3:2 inverse telecine, this is definitely a film-sourced disk. (edit: oops, looks like you did that and posted the original)
    Last edited by happycube; 6th Mar 2014 at 15:28.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by happycube View Post
    You need to do 3:2 inverse telecine, this is definitely a film-sourced disk.
    He did. It's in his script in the first post.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I added better captures that I did without re-encoding them into x264.

What filters to use to make this look much better? I know forsure to denoise it but how can I remove certain scratches and white and black dots/lines that appear here and there?

Name:	TEST1.avi_snapshot_00.17_[2014.03.08_02.17.00].png
Views:	438
Size:	611.5 KB
ID:	23962
    Quote Quote  
  6. You should be capturing at 720x480. But something along the lines of this will help a bit:

Code:
    import("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\RemoveSpots.avs") 
    LoadVirtualDubPlugin("g:\Program files\VirtualDub\plugins\deflick.vdf","DeFlick") 

AviSource("TEST1.avi") 
    AssumeTFF()
    CheckMate(thr=0, max=10, tthr2=0)
    TFM()
    TDecimate()
    ColorYUV(off_u=6)
    vInverse()

ConvertToRGB32()
    #DeFlick(window size, softening, interlaced, scene change threshold, show scene change)
    DeFlick(12, 4, 0, 10, 0)

ConvertToYV12()
    RemoveSpots()
    Dehalo_alpha(rx=3.5, ry=0.1)
    Bicubicresize(480,480)
    MergeChroma(McTemporalDenoise(settings="low"),McTemporalDenoise(settings="very high"))
    Sharpen(0.3,0.0)
    nnedi3_rpow2(2, cshift="Spline64Resize", fwidth=640, fheight=480)
    aWarpSharp2(depth=5)
    Sharpen(0.5, 0.1)

Name:	filtered.png
Views:	1379
Size:	442.8 KB
ID:	23967
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    You should be capturing at 720x480. But something along the lines of this will help a bit:

Code:
    import("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\RemoveSpots.avs") 
    LoadVirtualDubPlugin("g:\Program files\VirtualDub\plugins\deflick.vdf","DeFlick") 

AviSource("TEST1.avi") 
    AssumeTFF()
    CheckMate(thr=0, max=10, tthr2=0)
    TFM()
    TDecimate()
    ColorYUV(off_u=6)
    vInverse()

ConvertToRGB32()
    #DeFlick(window size, softening, interlaced, scene change threshold, show scene change)
    DeFlick(12, 4, 0, 10, 0)

ConvertToYV12()
    RemoveSpots()
    Dehalo_alpha(rx=3.5, ry=0.1)
    Bicubicresize(480,480)
    MergeChroma(McTemporalDenoise(settings="low"),McTemporalDenoise(settings="very high"))
    Sharpen(0.3,0.0)
    nnedi3_rpow2(2, cshift="Spline64Resize", fwidth=640, fheight=480)
    aWarpSharp2(depth=5)
    Sharpen(0.5, 0.1)
    [Attachment 23967 - Click to enlarge]

Thanks but I cant seem to run RemoveSpots :/ What filter do I need to make this work for "Remove Spots"
    Quote Quote  
  8. Do you have RemoveSpots.AVS?

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/344962-VHS-Cleanup-What-can-i-do?p=2152057&viewfull=1#post2152057

If you put it in AviSynth's plugins folder and change the name to RemoveSpots.AVSI it will autoload any time AviSynth starts. Otherwise you will have to import it into your script with:

Code:
    Import("C:\Program Files\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\RemoveSpots.AVS")
    Change the path to reflect where the script is located.

You'll also need the RemoveGrain package.
    Last edited by jagabo; 10th Mar 2014 at 22:22.
    Quote Quote