VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread

1. I want to play a video from DVD by displaying its original pixel size without any fitting to the screen.

Windows Media Player (WMP) has video options for "Fit video to Player", "Fit Player to video", size 50%, 100%, 200%.

My questions are:
    - if I uncheck/disable both options for "Fit", set the size to 100% in WMP, then can I be sure that the video of original size is played as it it stored on DVD without any adjustments or resizing?

- how to capture the images from video in its original size. Currently, I am using WMP, stopping the video at image I want, pressing the keys Alt+PrtScrn and then pasting into a graphic program like Paint or Photoshop. I want to make sure I get the original size with original aspect as it is stored on DVD. Is there a better way?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Open VOB with VirtualDubMod. Navigate to the frame you want. Video -> Snapshot Source Frame, save as PNG, BMP, or TGA.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Or play either the DVD or a VOB file in Media Player Classic-Home Cinema, pause on the frame you want, and File->Save Image as JPG, PNG, or BMP.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Many players support saving the frame as an image file. That'd be my first impulse. Maybe wmp doesn't. I wouldn't be surprised. I don't use windows much anymore and when I was using it I never used wmp for years except by accident because I forgot to set the file association to a good player.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Most media players will resize the frame to match the display aspect ratio (4:3 or 16:9 for DVD VOB) by default. You'll have to disable the DAR options if you want the frame size of the VOB file.
    Quote Quote  
  6. MPC-HC saves DVD video images using the original frame size (no resizing) even if the player is displaying the video using the correct aspect ratio. You can probably watch the video using the storage aspect ratio by disabling the "keep aspect ratio" option under the View/Video Frame menu.

Another option would be to use ffdshow to decode the video and it's resize filter to resize the video to whichever dimensions you prefer.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    MPC-HC saves DVD video images using the original frame size (no resizing) even if the player is displaying the video using the correct aspect ratio.
    You're right.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    How to capture current frame including external subtitle displayed?

I try using MPC to 'Save Image', after a pause on the desired image, but only got image without the text.
    Anyone can guide me how to get the image includes text shown..? Thanks in advance.
    Leo99
    Quote Quote  
  9. Alt+PrintScreen?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Trying Alt+PrintScreen, there's nothing in the captured! Just got MPC frame only with empty content (blank). The same with press PrintScreen as well. Any ideas..?
    Last edited by Leo99; 5th Feb 2014 at 13:33.
    Leo99
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Leo99 View Post
    Trying Alt+PrintScreen, there's nothing in the captured! Just got MPC frame only with empty content (blank). The same with press PrintScreen as well. Any ideas..?
    Play a video you don't care about in one player leave it open and playing. Play the video you want in another player (both can be MPC, or use two different players). Then use Alt+PrintScreen.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    Oh great... It's working good! Thanks so much, jagabo
    Leo99
    Quote Quote  
  13. Which renderer are you using with MPC-HC? If I'm remembering correctly, the printscreen function doesn't work with all of them. It should work with at least VMR9 and EVR. It's not something I've thought about or played around with in a long time, but printscreen using MPC-HC works for me, even with only one instance of the player running.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    Well hello_hello, nicely to talk about this. I really don't know about renderer on my MPC-HC. It seems maybe the default settings because I never tamper with it..

My OS is WinXP, previously I trouble to capture an image from MKV video + attachment of the external subtitles. Only get image without text, I don't know why. But now I just found out that it should be by running two players ... aha, it's simply.. I learned a valuable lesson over the tips provided by jagabo. Thanks again for jagabo.
    Leo99
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by Leo99 View Post
    Well hello_hello, nicely to talk about this. I really don't know about renderer on my MPC-HC.
    View -> Options -> Playback -> Output -> DirectShow Video ->... Try the different options. I think you have close and reopen the player for the change to take effect.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by Leo99 View Post
    Well hello_hello, nicely to talk about this. I really don't know about renderer on my MPC-HC.
    View -> Options -> Playback -> Output -> DirectShow Video ->... Try the different options. I think you have close and reopen the player for the change to take effect.
    OK, here's my screenshot settings before:

pic1

pic2

Then, I tried 3 different types that can be used to capture i.e. VMR 9 (windowed), 7 (renderless) and 9 (renderless) - all support capturing (see pic2 above). But, I choose VMR 9 (renderless) which is referenced by hello_hello I guess, as shown below:

pic3

Well jagabo, I use the current pic3 now, please correct me if I'm wrong.. Thank you!
    Leo99
    Quote Quote  
  17. Use whatever works.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search PM
    Play a video you don't care about in one player leave it open and playing. Play the video you want in another player (both can be MPC, or use two different players). Then use Alt+PrintScreen.
    What's wrong with simply using the Save Image functions [F5] or [Ctl+F5] in MPC ?
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by katipo View Post
    What's wrong with simply using the Save Image functions [F5] or [Ctl+F5] in MPC ?
    Not scaled for PAR/DAR, no subs.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Leo99,
    It appears you're using an older version of MPC-HC. Not that it matters much. The current version is 1.7.3 but it has some fullscreen problems running on XP, so I'm still using 1.7.1. If you change "Surfaces" to 3D (newer versions seem to do it automatically) that should enable DXVA support, which means instead of using the CPU for video decoding, it'll use the GPU (video card). Assuming you have a video card which supports DXVA and you're playing a type of video it can decode (h264 decoding support is the most common). You can set Realmedia and Quicktime video to use the same renderer.

With 3D surfaces selected you'll probably find MPC-HC's zooming works. You might also need to change the resizer to Bilinear (PS 2.0).... I can't remember for sure. You can use the keys on the numeric keypad for zooming and resizing. The "9" key zooms in, the "1" key zooms out, and "5" resets it. The other keys stretch the video one way or another. If you use CTRL+a numeric key (or Shift+a numeric key) you can move the picture up and down or even rotate it. I often use "9" to zoom widescreen video until it fills the screen. Or to zoom 4:3 video until it fills a 16:9 screen. For 4:3 video after zooming I also use CTRL+2 to move the video down so I'm not watching it with people's heads cut off.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search PM
    @jagabo: Thanks, good job!

@hello_hello: Yes, I still use v1.7.0 (with LAV 0.58.2.0) build Sep 2013, will be updated after this. Now, I've set RM & QT to VMR 9, thank you!
    My ATI Radeon unsupported 3D where should've 3D Monitor that I don't have. But so far I have no difficulty to encode or decode H264 all worked well. So, does the Surface + PS 2.0 need to be enabled, too..?
    Leo99
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search PM
    Not scaled for PAR/DAR, no subs.
    Oops, my bad. The thread title says "How to capture images from a DVD in original size?" which MPC will do by default.
    It's been a while since I used MPC/MPC-HC. PotPlayer is my favourite player now and has an extensive Capture menu {press [K]} including "Capture with subtitle" and will capture whatever the aspect you have chosen (Display or Source).

Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1.png
Views:	584
Size:	2.9 KB
ID:	23446
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by Leo99 View Post
    @hello_hello: Yes, I still use v1.7.0 (with LAV 0.58.2.0) build Sep 2013, will be updated after this. Now, I've set RM & QT to VMR 9, thank you!
    My ATI Radeon unsupported 3D where should've 3D Monitor that I don't have. But so far I have no difficulty to encode or decode H264 all worked well. So, does the Surface + PS 2.0 need to be enabled, too..?
    The 3D doesn't refer to 3D video. It's do with the way the video is drawn on the screen and I really don't understand it. The tooltip says something like this:

a 2D Texture Surface - the video surface will be allocated as a texture but the 2D functions will be used to copy and stretch it onto the backbuffer.
    a 3D Texture Surface - the video surface will be allocated as a texture and drawn as two triangles in 3D. Anti-aliasing turned on at the GPU display settings may have an adverse effect on the rendering speed on some GPUs.

Maybe someone can explain it to me so I can explain it to you.

The PS 2.0 resizers use a pixel shader to do the resizing..... your video card is doing it. MPC-HC has pixels shaders under the Play/Shaders menu which can be enabled disabled. Most of which you'd probably never use.
    Quote Quote  
  24. A large part of 3d graphics is applying textures (2d pictures) onto primitives (triangles or other simple polygons). You supply a texture, a primitive, a position and orientation in 3d space, and the graphics card handle the projection of that "scene" onto the screen (scaling, rotation, perspective correction, etc.). When used to display videos the frames of the video (a series of pictures) are applied to a polygon that just happens to fill the screen (or window). The 3d graphics hardware handles the scaling of the pictures to fill the display. This also opens up the possibility of applying other effects using the 3d graphics hardware. Anything from simple filters like blurring and sharpening, to more complex things like shining a spotlight on the image, geometric distortions, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search PM
    Yes right, I believe what Jagabo said that it was based on 2D pictures. I still use 2D + Bilinear output settings in MPC. I also do not understand what is the 3D performance in a real sense, two years ago I've ever ask the vendor that 3D video card the price is so high, same with the Monitor, almost double..uhh expensive.. I didn't buy. Also, I've ever watch 3D film at the cinema but we have to wear a special 3D glasses. Sorry, in my opinion it seems rather difficult to believe that the 3D monitor is pure 3D images without wearing special glasses..?
    Leo99
    Quote Quote