VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. This is probably a stupid question but i need to ask it anyway...

How come when converting a DivX video to DVD there's quality loss?
    I mean the divx movie files are about 700MB and the resulting DVD is 2 to 4 GB average... There's no compression going on... right?

I use Avi2DVD for these convertions, is there something better you can suggest?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You are reencoding to another video format and dvd mpeg2 is not as good as DivX at lower video bitrates(low bitrate = smaller file size)...so to keep similiar quality it will be bigger.

and divx to dvd is not dvd to. moving you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ..and every conversion to a not lossless format (like mpg) will make the quality lower no matter what you do.
    Yes, there is compression going on. During reencoding, every frame in the source DivX is decompressed, and that frame is then compressed using another algorithm.
    Multipass VBR encoding using a dedicated mpeg encoder like CCE is the way to go for best results.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ifoedit support's these dvd specific resolution's :

Pal

720x576
    704x576
    352x576
    352x288

Ntsc

720x480
    704x480
    352x480
    352x240

Choose one that is close .

Then there is video bitrate ... you need to figure this out , best do a couple of test sample's ... to see which would give best result .

========================

Resize clip to choosen ifoedit supported format ... in vdub , video resize filter , stretch both till width is chosen width , and box height ... this keep's the aspect from being messed about .

All encoding is to mpeg2 format ... bbmpeg support's all output's (frameserving from vdub to bbmpeg) .
    Quote Quote