VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just bought a Sony RDR-GX330 to replace my current DVD player and VCR. The hook-up seemed to go quickly, but I can't get it to work properly. The TV I'm using it with is a few years old so it doesn't have the AV output on it, thus I have to use an RF modulator (I'm also not using a cable box with this set up).
    So, I have the cable going from the wall to the modulator, from there to the dvd recorder, then finally to the TV. I then used the AV cable to connect the modulator to the dvd recorder. Well, when I did this (plugging them into the AV Line Out on the recorder), I don't get any TV signal w/the player turned on; the screen is blurry and looks like something out of "The Ring" and the TV makes all sorts of noise. When I change the input selector on the remote to L1 or L2 I can finally view the recorder menus, but the TV still has no signal/makes the same noises.

I then changed it up and plugged the AV cables into the Line In on the recorder ... I then get TV picture when the recorder is on, but I can't get into the recorder menus no matter what I press, or if I'm on L1, L2 or TV ... I called Sony and they had no idea ... anyone have any advice?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Not sure about your setup but if you're connecting via RF, you have to have your tv on ch 3 or 4.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do you think the unit may be broke? Only reason I'm thinking that is because I think I've exhausted every set up I can think of, and have made sure the tv is on channel 3 or 4. Thanks for the quick reply!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do you need the RF modulator ?? If the Sony has RF in & RF out, can't you just connect the cable to the Sony's RF in, and connect the Sony's RF out to the tv's RF in, and use the Sony's built-in tuner. (Check the Sony's manual to see if the tv should be on Ch3 or Ch4)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Hi jcard, maybe you are unaware of this fact but the RF OUT from all recorders are in essence useless, you would think that they would have set the RF OUT like on VCRs but for some reason the manufacturers didn't. So having said that and considering the equipment you have,I would set myself up in this fashion.

You'll need a splitter and an A/B switch.

1) Split Cable, send one to recorder IN and one to switch IN (A)
    2) Recorder A/V outputs to modulator, RF from modulator to switch IN (B)
    3) Switch OUT to TV RF IN.

With this set-up you will be able to do the following

1) To view recorder, TV on 3 (or 4), switch on B and turn on recorder, this will send a signal to the modulator as source is powered on thus turning modulator on. At this point you should be able to operate your recorder with all of its features. Set your timer recordings and turn off recorder.

2) To watch Cable while recording or just Cable, Switch to A and use TV remote.

To go back to recorder, TV on 3, switch on B and turn recorder on.

A bit of a pain but a least you should get what you want.

Hope it helps.

Cheers

CC
    Quote Quote  
  6. I've just reread your initial set-up, I think it's fine only thing try pluging the A/V from modulator to A/V line IN on the recorder. I think that's the key here and why you're getting picture and noise static. If that doesn't work, try my previous suggestion.

trying to help !!!

CC
    Quote Quote  
  7. My mistake, I see know you've tried that already (Line In).
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    CrazyCanuck, thanks for the suggestion, I'll try it tonight!

BCDave, I thought the same thing about not needing the modulator, but when I did that I could view TV fine with the Recorder on, but couldn't view the menus on the Recorder for some reason.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    CrazyCanuck - Just wanted to let you know that since I didn't have a switch to try your set up tonight, I think I ended up fixing it by changing the path that the cable was going through. I originally had it going from the wall to the rf modulator, from the rf modulator to the dvd recorder, and finally from the dvd recorder to the tv. I just switch it to: wall to dvd recorder, dvd recorder to rf modulator, rf modulator to tv, and it looks like it works!

I really appreciate your advice, I posted my problem on 3 different forums and you're the only one that responded with some good info.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Glad I could help jcard, the real test will be to see if you can watch TV while recorder is doing timer recordings.

CC
    Quote Quote