VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,

I'm using VLC Player 1.0.5 since a good time. Yesterday downloaded and installed 2.0.1 version.

It appears there are some changes with the install process (cache etc). Problem is I can't play any video under default setting, whereas 1.0.5 rocks. 2.0.1 getting frozen, stuck etc.

How to solve this problem?

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    What is your operating system? That might be important to know. I haven't had 2.0.1 freeze on me, but I've had other issues. I can't get video looking very good under Windows 7 while using it. Everything is either way too dark or if I turn up the brightness, parts of it end up being too bright. I found some suggestions to try to fix that particular issue, but none of them have worked. In my opinion the 2.x release seems to be a bit more problematic than it should have been.
    Last edited by jman98; 24th Apr 2012 at 11:36. Reason: Fixed typo
    Quote Quote  
  3. @jman98 It's WinXP SP3. I don't get this problem.

@hello_hello: I do have CCCP pack and use the same.

I'm thinking to downgrade to 1.0.5 in a day or so.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm thinking of going back to an earlier version as well.

I have xp sp3

My problem... with many of the mkvs that I drag and drop into the icon I get a white error screen saying it cant play the file.

Also, it has a check box indicating not to show error message again I check it and it still pops up when it wants to.

Strangest thing....I clear the popup error message... re-drag and drop the file and it plays just fine.

Besides that hd MKVs in many cases stop and start like I don't have enough processing power. None of the earlier versions did that

VLC is constantly being up dated so before I go back to an earlier version I thought I would try a few of their overnight fixes.

Tony
    Quote Quote  
  5. Hi Tony,

Frankly, I fail to understand how could they overlook such a basic thing (sorry if I'm whining).

Any media player should run with default setting without any problem, if not near perfect. 1.0.5 does the same. I can't get rid of VLC because of many reasons so I'll try with 2.0.1 else downgrade

Update: I deleted the VLC folder in the path, 2.0.1 working fine with sub titles in default screen size. But when I click on full screen button then the video/player freezes and making it very difficult to terminate the program (took almost 10 min to battle it, not even Task Manager responds!).
    Last edited by bulava; 24th Apr 2012 at 13:50. Reason: update
    Quote Quote  
  6. Update: I downloaded and installed the latest KMplayer. It's working like a charm just like VLC 1.0.5

So, what's the problem with 2.0.1? I don't know what setting I need to change, if there is anything relevant to the problem.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Maybe wait for awhile for a VLC update?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by bulava View Post
    @hello_hello: I do have CCCP pack and use the same.
    As MPC-HC can play all the usual file formats on it's own, I don't bother with CCCP any more. I was sometimes having issues (mainly audio sync problems) when using CCCP.

I still install the Haali splitter and ffdshow manually as I use them for other things, but letting MPC-HC use all it's own internal splitters and decoders when playing video seems to work pretty well. I guess if the standard CCCP setup is working for you though, there's no reason not to use it.

Isn't PotPlayer the updated version of KMPlayer? Or is KMPlayer still being developed too?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Of course, TreeTops. Perhaps I should downgrade to 1.0.5, and try with 2.0.5
    But that could be only available by early next year or so?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    As MPC-HC can play all the usual file formats on it's own, I don't bother with CCCP any more. I was sometimes having issues (mainly audio sync problems) when using CCCP.
    Yeah, I'll remove this when I downgrade the VLC to 1.0.5
    I shall install only MPC-HC.

Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    I still install the Haali splitter and ffdshow manually as I use them for other things, but letting MPC-HC use all it's own internal splitters and decoders when playing video seems to work pretty well. I guess if the standard CCCP setup is working for you though, there's no reason not to use it.
    As I said earlier, I use it very much whenever there is some problem with VLC (say some x264 files stutter etc) Actually, I use VLC 1.0.5 more and got used to it on Linux/XP. So you see my point?

Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    Isn't PotPlayer the updated version of KMPlayer? Or is KMPlayer still being developed too?
    I don't know about PotPplayer. Do you recommend it above KMPlayer? On Linux I'm more used to VLC/KMPlayer so it's the same on XP too. I didn't check its development status, TBH
    Quote Quote  
  11. hi, i too am not happy with VLC 2.0.1 as my 1440x1080 wmv files will not play out at 16:9 like they should, yet WMP plays them fine.

i have a thread in this forum about it, and some suggested the files have been encoded incorrectly from the original HDV footage and VLC cant force them to 16:9, but its strange that WMP will play them ok.

anyway, even VLC now plays every file size at full screen, meaning if i play my own standard def home videos in VLC they play full screen on my 1080 lcd screen, and i dont like it because they are being upscaled to nearly 2.5 times their original size and look like shite.

im thinking of going back to a pre 2.0 version.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Trying to solve the VLC 2.0.1 problem of video not working have made me crazy.
    Try to set the Output in video settings to DirectX (DirectDraw).
    I have found the solution and the instructions to solve the issue here (Why in VLC version 2.0.1 I can hear the audio but I can't see video?).
    Hope this helps
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm sure that link would help if you could read Italian ...

To the OP ... it may help if you tried a different codec pack. I've seen tons of reported problems from people using cccp. I don't use any codec packs. It's not a good idea in windows 7, but on xp it's not such a problem, though you can still get problems.

BTW, vlc doesn't need any external codec packs. None of the media programs I use do. I've found that vlc and smplayer had better video performance when I yanked all that non directx/directchow stuff.

I haven't had any of those sorts of severe problems with vlc 2.0.1, but I also find there are other ones. It doesn't support local file stream caching anymore since 2.0, and you can't get as good quality without that on h.264 files (unless, maybe, you're using a gamer machine).

Actually even before I tried 2.0 I found vlc wouldn't play dvds/vobs properly. I'm not sure everyone has had that issue but I do, and I know others who do too.

And guess what the last version of vlc that worked with vobs? 1.0.5 ...

Bear in mind that if you use 1.0.5 or earlier as a streaming player it's not secure any more.

I'm keeping vlc 2.0.1 though. It's an excellent audio player with very good playlist features. SMplayer is my video player almost all the time. Potplayer I use sometimes too. I yanked mpc-hc some time ago.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Hoser Rob View Post
    I have no idea what may have happened in the past so perhaps at one time it was in Italian, but that link is in English now.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Originally Posted by Hoser Rob View Post
    I have no idea what may have happened in the past so perhaps at one time it was in Italian, but that link is in English now.
    You can select language, English or Italian (flags) in the upper right.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Daum Pot Player is developed by the force that was behind KMPLayer and still has a few issues but it has a wealth of tweaking options and development is continuous on-going is my choice video player (64 bit version). I was a fan of VLC for a number of years but have experienced more issues with any release over 1.08 and said enough was enough and tried Potplayer and haven't looked back.
    "Zed's dead, baby."
    Quote Quote