VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,

I'm new here. I have a Philips DVR520H dvd recorder, with the original 80GB HDD. The HDD wrong, because draw lines on the tv screen while working. If no HDD operation, the picture is perfect. Well.... I have a Seagate 500GB ( IDE ) drive and I like to build my dvr. Can help me somebody with a step by step guide, how to do it?
    example:
    jumper on the disk ( Master, Slave, Cable Select )
    file system ( which software need it )
    etc, etc...

thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Anybody here?????
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Never heard of that model. Did you perhaps mean Pioneer DVR-520H ? If so, there are a number of threads about this (some VERY long), both here and on AVS.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Hi,

Yes, I'm really beginner.... sorry :S
    Philips DVDR520H

here is the link:
    http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?ctn=DVDR520H/05&slg=en&scy=GB

So, I must to replace the HDD, but need help, because I have no idea how to do it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by NetKing View Post
    Hi,

Yes, I'm really beginner.... sorry :S
    Philips DVDR520H

here is the link:
    http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?ctn=DVDR520H/05&slg=en&scy=GB

So, I must to replace the HDD, but need help, because I have no idea how to do it.
    That model # seems like an amazing coincidence. IF this is actually the Pioneer 520 (inside), with a different nameplate and slightly different housing, then the threads we suggested would likely hold the answers to all of your questions. Otherwise, if this really is a Phillips and an unrelated model, I'm not very confident we could be of help. (Another Phillips model, also off the market by now and which had a duplicate model under another brand name, has been discussed here and on AVS forum, at some length. I don't know what the upgrade potential may have been on the Phillips models.) The people who would probably know about this here are HKan or Orsetto. And there must be a few others, over on AVS.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks the aboveboard info and help. I will try out, than I'll report about the results....
    Quote Quote  
  7. The Philips 520 I believe is a Liteon clone. If so, you probably can replace the HDD. I don't think the recorder will recognize a larger HDD than 80 GB. To replace the HDD, set the jumper to Master, install in the recorder, the screen may show an error code that looks something like"0x00540...". What you need to do is a full erase of the HDD which in fact reloads the files on the HDD.

Also look at this thread for larger HDD in Liteon and Liteon clones. Bithead9 patched the firmware file for the Philips 520 but I'm not sure where to download it from. You may ask bithead9 in that thread.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/244693-Upgrade-Liteon-lvw-5045-to-400G-successfully
    Quote Quote  
  8. Hello,

Yes, I opened the original philips firmware file (PHJB2196.DA3) and I found this:
    "LVW-5020/64MB HYNIX HY5DU561622CT_J/4M Flash/13.5MHz Clock"
    and this:
    "VxWorks BSP Version 1.2/12
    Copyright (c) 1984-1995 Wind River Systems, Inc.
    Copyright (c) 2003 LSI Logic, Inc.
    Copyright (c) 2004 Lite-On IT Corporation, Taiwan, Republic of China"

So, this is a LiteOn clone device.
    Quote Quote  
  9. You may also be interested in this tool.

http://ilohacker.tripod.com/
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by NetKing View Post
    Hello,

Yes, I opened the original philips firmware file (PHJB2196.DA3) and I found this:
    "LVW-5020/64MB HYNIX HY5DU561622CT_J/4M Flash/13.5MHz Clock"
    and this:
    "VxWorks BSP Version 1.2/12
    Copyright (c) 1984-1995 Wind River Systems, Inc.
    Copyright (c) 2003 LSI Logic, Inc.
    Copyright (c) 2004 Lite-On IT Corporation, Taiwan, Republic of China"

So, this is a LiteOn clone device.
    This could be good news. Based on some of the threads here, I seem to recall that Lite-On DVD recorders were among those that were more receptive to mods and hacks. I think increasing the size of the HDD was the main topic, but keep in mind that DVD recorders were never designed with TB-size drives in mind, and their firmware probably won't be able to cope with any HDD larger than 500G as a maximum. Even if there was some way of getting it to work, you would be much better off -- performance wise -- with something in the 250 - 400 range. Start with the forum archives here (keyword search for Lite-On + DVD recorder), and hopefully you can find some detailed instructions that may be relevant.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have the patched version of this firmware. I did it for Herman ? I think. I will try to load onine somewhere. I hoped that MikeB would host it but I have not heard from him for some time now...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    OK you can test this firmware... This was the same one confirmd by Hermann. See attached file. Its is as easy as replacing a HDD in a PC. IF you use a SATA you will need to buy a SATA bridge converter from IDE to SATA. Read the 400GB thread and see pisc in there too... You want the file above called:
    PHJB2196.DA3
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by bithead9; 15th Nov 2010 at 17:50. Reason: provide a file in line instead of e link
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Of course if you need more help you can PM me or post this thread...
    BTW - I checked the Phillips fw link with the file I had. The only differences are the hacks. So it will work.
    I recommend you flash it BEFORE you relace the HDD. Then swap out the parts. You can get everything you need from an onine store lik newegg.com or the like.
    Last edited by bithead9; 10th Nov 2010 at 08:28.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Hello bithead9!

The firmware working fine!

We tested with a SATA 320 GB HDD ( with converter ) and with IDE 500 GB HDD.
    What can I say? Thank you so much!
    Quote Quote  
  15. hi
    how about the dvd player itself, do i need a special one?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Hi

I heard, the optical drive is a LiteOn model, but not a standard version... :S
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The DVD unit should be ANY Liteon that is IDE (not SATA). Some IDE to SATA converter may work but the one I tested did not. My video was blocky. If you can find either a Sony or Liteon (they are the same basic units) that is IDE you will have no problem. You will need possibly to trim the bezel to make the tray open close (if you want the from bezel that was on the original unit). You may not be able to FF (fast forward) when playing a movie as the unit can freeze. I think that has to do with the PLAYback speed of the units. PC DVD playback at high speed and DVD recorder/players playback slower to be QUIET for home theatre. You may notice more noise due to faster drive spinning...But you can definately replace your DVD drive yourself. I did TWICE with no problems.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Oh, BTW - Netking, I am glad it all worked out for you! Sweet. Nice to have success!
    Quote Quote