VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    is it possible? back in the days when i was a newbie, i captured a video at 480x240 (wtf??) @ 29.97fps progressive mpeg2 3mbps . now I want to convert that (screwy) video to interlaced (big interlace fan here). I am wondering is this possible? What about telecining?

btw, is there a way to avoid macroblocks/video noise in the final verison? I'm going from mpeg2 to mpeg2 (a DVD standard..either 352x240p [last resort] or 352x480i (yay!)) :-\. I'm already going to up the bitrate a bit in the final version (about 1 mbps).

I would just dig up the vhs tape again and recap it (and while i'm at it, relive some memories from that choir performance ), but i borrowed it from my friend...he graduated and is starting college next month...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The damage is done.

If you want DVD compliant MPEG-2 files then best to use 352x240 ... you lost your "interlacing" when you captured at a height of 240

- John "FulciLives" Coleman

P.S.
    Just noticed what you said about bitrate. If you want MPEG-2 at 352x240 then I suggest AT LEAST 1500kbps if not 2000kbps for the video bitrate. The audio should be PCM WAV or better yet AC-3 ... don't use MP2 audio.
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    what about interpolation?

i mean the difference from frame A and frame C be guessed for frame B (lost interlace)?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by choirislife923
    what about interpolation?

i mean the difference from frame A and frame C be guessed for frame B (lost interlace)?
    You captured half the frame (480) to begin with at (240). Instead of capturing both fields (240 each) to make one whole frame (480) you only captured half a field (240). It's possible your captur hardware/software deinterlaced the 480 into 240 but either way ...

You can't FIX it :P

If you still have this stuff it would be best to capture again at either Full D1 (720x480) or Half D1 (352x480).

Otherwise convert it from 480x240 to 352x240 to make it DVD compliant.

"The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by FulciLives
    You captured half the field (480) to begin with at (240).
    **** it! ...nah, driving to my friend's house and annoying him to lend me the tape again isn't worth it...

o yea let me add this:

DONT USE ATI MMC TO CAPTURE! It only captures at (###)x240...let my experience be a lesson to you guys...
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok, forgot about the second part...what about removing all that MPEG block noise cause i used a low bitrate?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by choirislife923
    ok, forgot about the second part...what about removing all that MPEG block noise cause i used a low bitrate?
    Again good luck.

Can't get shit in gold out.

You can try the noise filter built-in TMPGEnc Plus but if you overdo it you will loose a lot of detail. Just use the default settings but select HIGH QUALITY or whatever that option is called.

It should help a bit but don't expect miracles.

You would be better off getting access to the original again if you care about quality.

Quote Quote  
  8. There is a process called VidFire that restores the interlaced fields to progressive 25fps film 'telerecordings'. It has been used on some of the old Dr.Who episodes:

http://freespace.virgin.net/mark.campbell10/vidfire.htm

A filter for VirtualDub which does this would be nice
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The damage is done. The end.

I have some TMPGENC filters (TPR project files) I can share with you that will remove interlace artifacts, just be aware the side effect is a softer picture. PM me your e-mail address.

Essentially, lose your sharp edges (negative sharpen edges), maybe a double deinterlace filter (blends the edges in smoothly), and then noise reduction.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rgs_uk
    There is a process called VidFire that restores the interlaced fields to progressive 25fps film 'telerecordings'. It has been used on some of the old Dr.Who episodes:

A fair amount of processing power is needed. Currently, with a well-specified PC, it takes 2-3 days to process an average episode of DOCTOR WHO. Put another way, to process in real time would take the power of about 120 2GHz Pentium 4 processors!

eh....i think i'll just take the progressive video and call it a day....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rgs_uk
    There is a process called VidFire that restores the interlaced fields to progressive 25fps film 'telerecordings'. It has been used on some of the old Dr.Who episodes:

This is not the same.
    Your progressive source is virgin (some sort of mutant interlace on a progressive format), not ruined like drop-frame deinterlaced "progressive".
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote