VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am so new to editing, so keep it simple please. I'm editing some footage on Premiere Elements 10 that I shot with a Canon D70 and a shotgun mic. I've been editing clips and trying to put together the footage. Every so often, on playback, one clip or another plays back out of sync. This especially happens when I try to add transitions or fade ins or fade outs between clips. I'll have lots of questions as I learn this, but I do learn fast, once someone explains it to me so that I can understand. (Duh!)
    Any ideas on what is happening?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm going under the assumption that you are editing the native MOV clips directly in Elements and are watching the playback from the timeline via the preview window......

If this is true, then it is very likely your computer is overwhelmed by the processing power required for playback + transitions/filters added. More CPU and RAM would help here, but all should be fine when you finally render it all out. That is assuming your computer has enough power to watch the finished video format.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  3. Or maybe you changed the framecount with those dissolves and fades and the video is now longer or shorter than originally. If I were you I'd check the framecount (or the length) before and after.
    Quote Quote  
  4. racer-x--that's what I wondered. I'm using a laptop with Windows 7, but have a bright shiny new MacBook Pro waiting to be learned. Working on this project and learning a new system at the same time would be difficult so I'm limping through this one with the old computer. I cleaned up the laptop and will try again. Thank you so much and thank you for keeping it so I could understand it.
    manono-How and where do I check that, and how do a adjust it. There's never simple instructions for fixing mistakes. Will it always mess up when I add a transition, or any other effect? It seems like the raw video, before any editing runs fine, but when I try to do anything with it, it gets out of sync. Maybe racer-x is right, maybe it's just on the monitor playback that it's off.
    I'm open for simple instructions because I have to get some easy videos made in a hurry. Thank you sooo much.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Render it out to a playable video and see if the end results are synced up. If they are, then it's as I said. You can still Finnish your projects, you just need to know your computer can't keep up during play back. I don't use Premiere Elements, but there maybe a way to switch the playback preview to "Draft Mode" or similar. That will use less resources, but picture quality of the play back monitor will be reduced.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by ShellyUpholstery View Post
    Maybe racer-x is right, maybe it's just on the monitor playback that it's off.
    Let's hope so, and that the final video is in synch.

I don't use Premiere Elements either and always get the framecount and length from AviSynth scripts opened in VDub. I do know that when creating dissolves I have to be very careful to do them correctly or else the framecount/length changes. Perhaps someone familiar with the program can chime in with a way to check and fix before doing the final render.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In an NLE, you're more concerned with creating the finished product. Part of that process is to chop it up and reassemble it in a dramatic way. The audio gets chopped up too, into background/ambient loops, and dialog.

Rarely is the wild audio track kept with the video.
    Quote Quote  
  8. You can toggle between frame count and time by hitting Control+click on the time display in the lower left area of the preview window. Adding a transition does not add frames in the projects that I work on.

It might help to render the videos in the timeline if it has a red line showing. To render, click on a video in the timeline and click the Enter key.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Thanks for the input. The synching is fine after rendering. Here's what's not so fine. If I can figure this out, lufe will be good.
    Playing back, while still in Premiere, video was nice and clear, hi def, as shot. Then, I rendered it and watched it in MediaPlayer where it wasn't as clear. Ok, I thought it must just be Media Player. I went ahead and uploaded to Vimeo, hoping it would be nice and crisp. It's not. Rendered as an MPEG. The AVCHD would have been too big.
    Any suggestions. Should I go back to the pre-rendered video and try to render it again? I've done other short vids just like this and they have come through rendering nice and crisp. I will ve so grateful for the kind and simple educator.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Check if project setting and frame size matches the video source. If the video is 1280x720, set project setting at 1280x720; render the final video at 1280x720 or lower.

Premiere Elements has a Vimeo HD preset under AVCHD that you can use to render. Adjust bitrate if the file size is too large.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Really, I am learning!! One more question: if I'm exporting video to Vimeo, which is the best file format? Won't it be viewable on most computers once it's available on Vimeo?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by ShellyUpholstery View Post
    Won't it be viewable on most computers once it's available on Vimeo?
    Whatever you upload, vimeo will create the necessary streams and handle device recognition "automatically."
    Quote Quote  
  13. OK, you guys. The amount of info I've learned in the past two days is more than I've learned about anything in the past five years. Here's my (hopefully) last question.

My Canon 70 D will shoot HD in 1920 @ 30fps or 1280 @60fps. From all I've seen on Vimeo video uploading, they don't want more than 30fps. So, does that mean I should go for the 1920 setting? Won't that be huge? And then, when rendering, I'm completely lost as to which way is the best to render. Contrary to someone's comment above, Premiere Elements 10 does not have Vimeo under the AVCHD setting. When I tried to render in AVCHD, the video was too big and never uploaded to Vimeo. My videos are still not as clear on playback on Windows Media Player, Quicktime, or even final Vimeo playback. When I view in Premiere Elements 10 monitor, video looks so nice. It gets fuzzy after rendering. Could that really be the case?
    Right now I'm just looking for the correct filming settings on the camera, set up on Premiere, and then rendering in the right format. Once I get good at this, I will then understand the intricacies.Please help this poor snowed in girl in the midwest!!
    Quote Quote  
  14. Correction from above: The AVCHD setting does have the Vimeo option, but again, what should my camera settings be for shooting? Don't the source and output have to match up?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It really depends on what you are shooting and what you want to accomplish in post. If you are shooting high-motion sports and want to do some slo-mo's, then 720/60p is the way to go. If you're shooting mostly low-motion family type stuff, then 1080/30p is a better choice.

I'm not sure about Vimeo, but youtube only wants 30p or less, so you'll want to upload 30p anyway. I shoot mostly sports at 1080/60p. After I edit in 60p, I usually export to both 60p for me and 30p for youtube........
    Quote Quote  
  16. Hi Again! It's odd, because when I put the clip presets into Premier, it keeps telling me to choose AVCHD 720 inststead of the DSLR presets. And, here's another big dilemma. I've been fooling around editing this evening in Premier Elements 10 again. Which I've surprised myself by learning quite handily. However, things are acting squirrely this evening. After viewing and snipping a clip in the Preview Monitor and then going to close it. It moves over into the Big Monitor, but only partially--like it's underlapped under there. I cleaned up my files today so that my computer would be running better, but this is really bugging me. Is it a problem with memory, or do I need to defrag again? We just did that last week. Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	22648
    Quote Quote  
  17. what's happening is that every time I preview something or open anything and then try to close it, it gets stuck in the Big Preview Monitor on the top left. Then, it just freezes up. Maybe reboot the computer?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by racer-x View Post
    I'm going under the assumption that you are editing the native MOV clips directly in Elements and are watching the playback from the timeline via the preview window......

If this is true, then it is very likely your computer is overwhelmed by the processing power required for playback + transitions/filters added. More CPU and RAM would help here, but all should be fine when you finally render it all out. That is assuming your computer has enough power to watch the finished video format.
    Okay,

I was having the same problem. When I uploaded the video straight from the D70 and played it ... it was out of sync but if I let it sit for a few seconds it would sync up for about 3 seconds and then the audio be ahead of the video.

I rendered it as you recommended to mp4 and tried to play again. This time I just had to let it load for a few minutes and it was fine.

How do I go about fixing this?

I paid all this money for the D70 for the video quality (i make youtube videos) I really want to keep the quality.

Also, what is the best quality to upload youtube videos... mp4 / mov / mkv or some other format.

Thanks,
    Last edited by CreativeEditing; 10th Apr 2014 at 17:30.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ShellyUpholstery View Post
    racer-x--that's what I wondered. I'm using a laptop with Windows 7, but have a bright shiny new MacBook Pro waiting to be learned. Working on this project and learning a new system at the same time would be difficult so I'm limping through this one with the old computer. I cleaned up the laptop and will try again...
    Here we go: if you can help it, despite what you may have heard, been told, or read somewhere, don't use a one-drive laughtop, PC or mac, to edit video. There are many probable causes for the loss of audio video sync in your editing, but use of a laughtop is a certain one. You can clean that laughtop til it's germ-free and gleams and your sync problems will stay as bad as ever.
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by turk690 View Post
    Originally Posted by ShellyUpholstery View Post
    racer-x--that's what I wondered. I'm using a laptop with Windows 7, but have a bright shiny new MacBook Pro waiting to be learned. Working on this project and learning a new system at the same time would be difficult so I'm limping through this one with the old computer. I cleaned up the laptop and will try again...
    Here we go: if you can help it, despite what you may have heard, been told, or read somewhere, don't use a one-drive laughtop, PC or mac, to edit video. There are many probable causes for the loss of audio video sync in your editing, but use of a laughtop is a certain one. You can clean that laughtop til it's germ-free and gleams and your sync problems will stay as bad as ever.
    Is this because there is not enough power to process the video?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by CreativeEditing View Post
    Is this because there is not enough power to process the video?
    Some laughtops have more than enough processing power for editing videos. But there are other factors that are equally important. I have strongly argued in older posts in this forum for the case against using a laughtop to edit videos. Search for those posts, read, and weep.
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote