VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I apologize if this has been answered many times but time is of the essence so I rely on your expertise. I only use PCs these days.

My wife uses her iBook primarily to create movies with an old version of iMovie. She has always saved her projects and associated files and wants to be able to access them as iMovie project files. Her iBook is falling apart and needs to be replaced.

She cannot afford a Macbook Pro (she needs the DVD drive) and I also understand that the current iMovie is very different from her old version.

So I think her best bet is an i5 Windows 7 laptop for around ~600.

Is there a Windows app that will open iMovie project files?

TIA
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by channeledbymodem View Post

TIA
    None that I've heard of. You will need to export video from iMove to a format that can be read with a PC app like Premiere or Vegas. With older iMove, that format is probably DV.

Then to re-edit, you would need to split the files in the Windows app.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    Originally Posted by channeledbymodem View Post

TIA
    None that I've heard of. You will need to export video from iMove to a format that can be read with a PC app like Premiere or Vegas. With older iMove, that format is probably DV.

Then to re-edit, you would need to split the files in the Windows app.
    Thanks. I think she wants to preserve her edit decisions and choose different forks.

Would anyone know if the file format for projects is the same in the newer versions of iMovie as it was for older ones? I can find out version number if necessary (sorry, not my Mac).
    Quote Quote  
  4. FCP 7 can open imovie project files, and can export xml project files

Premiere Pro can open FCP 7 and below xml project files (but problems with FCP X)

If it's a 1 shot type of deal you could use trial versions, but problem is finding an old trial version, and premiere pro isn't exactly cheap
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    FCP 7 can open imovie project files, and can export xml project files

Premiere Pro can open FCP 7 and below xml project files (but problems with FCP X)

If it's a 1 shot type of deal you could use trial versions, but problem is finding an old trial version, and premiere pro isn't exactly cheap
    Good suggestion makes sense. Too much $$$ for home movies.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Apple has made available iMovieHD (v6.0.3 if I remember correctly) as a free download for those who have any of the newer versions installed. Check Apple's site for this. If you can't find it, PM me.

I also despise iMovie7 and newer and still use iMovie6 on my Snow Leopard Core i7 iMac. (It runs very nicely on modern equipment.)

iMovie stores its project files as "packages" which, if you control- or right-click on one, you may select "show package contents" and then navigate into the structure of the project where you will find all of the DV files, effects, transitions you've applied and, equally as important, a reference movie of the project as it's currently edited. You may open this reference movie and export from it if you wish (or just play it). Do note that you may even make an alias of it to your Desktop and, even if you close the window into the project's package, the reference movie will play. This is a pretty neat trick.

Don't buy the wife a PC; you'll regret it when she regrets it.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rumplestiltskin View Post
    Don't buy the wife a PC; you'll regret it when she regrets it.
    She needs the equivalent of a MacBook Pro with an external monitor and we can't afford it. What would you suggest?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    15 MBP. If wife needs external display then just buy an iMac and forget the MBP. Check Apple's refurbs.
    Quote Quote