VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Iam doing backups in Handbrake (1st time), but due to my negligence i re encoded my sound instead of passthrough.
    My TRUE-HD dolby 5.1ch using auto passthrough resulted in 640 Kbps 6ch AC3 and 4 times smaller than original.

So, considering there are several ways Handbrake can downmux AC3 audio, which one was used in my case?
    If i were to keep this audio (very attractive due to its size) is this correct way of downmuxing the audio, or should i go with AAC instead?
    Iam on 2.0 system now and cant hear the difference (do intend to keep surround), please advice.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well 5.1ch audio, is 6 channels. So you seem to of kept the same number of channels, and I can't see any reason why Handbrake would jumble up the channels randomly. Do you know what mixing setting you used?
    Quote Quote  
  3. I have no idea what settings handbrake used, this is what i have in my log:
    Code:
    [05:16:45]  * audio track 1
    [05:16:45]    + decoder: English (TrueHD) (5.1 ch) (track 4, id 0x721101)
    [05:16:45]      + bitrate: 200 kbps, samplerate: 48000 Hz
    [05:16:45]    + mixdown: 5.1 Channels
    [05:16:45]    + encoder: AC3 (libavcodec)
    [05:16:45]      + bitrate: 640 kbps, samplerate: 48000 Hz
    It could be that handbrake extracted AC3 core from TRUE HD, like tsMuxer does. However i tested extracting AC3 core with tsMuxer and size differ a little.

EDIT:

Handbrake did re-encode my audio, because AC3 file sounds louder than AC3 core!
    So, did handbrake use lossless TRUE HD to create AC3, or re-encoded already downsampled AC3 core? Not really sure which audio to keep.
    Last edited by T0tum; 6th Apr 2016 at 07:02.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Why not just demux the audio track out of the BD with tsMuxer and then mux it back in to your file?
    Quote Quote