VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Until recently, a person with an IQ of 85 could download pbs videos using no software and only 2 mouse clicks. However, the method (firefox> tools> add-ons>shockwave flash> never activate, and then go to pbs video) doesn't work anymore. Now, if you do the procedure, you just get an error message stating that your Player didn't load. My question is: what did they do to stop this downloading method from working?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Hi ,

@jimdagys : They have added a script , to see your environnement .

Example :
    Code:
    http://yc.tqmba.com/tqmba/HDPlayer/Scripts/swfobject.js
    Regards .
    Quote Quote  
  3. Also, the m3u8 method (firefox>tools>user agent>iphone 3>adblock plus) doesn't work anymore. When I type in m3u8, I don't get any entries. Is there a way to get that method working again? How did they stop that method?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by jimdagys View Post
    How did they stop that method?
    Smart coders?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Question how pbs suddenly could hide secret download url
    Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    Originally Posted by jimdagys View Post
    How did they stop that method?
    Smart coders?
    They rubbed their magic lamp and had their genie make it magically delicious ?
    Oh wait, that's the leprechaun.....
    LOL!!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member Emeritus
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jimdagys View Post
    ..the method (firefox> tools> add-ons>shockwave flash> never activate, and then go to pbs video) doesn't work anymore. Now, if you do the procedure, you just get an error message stating that your Player didn't load.
    I don't notice any difference. Are you sure that there hasn't been any changes to your installation, particularly one that might affect player plugins for browsers? Your screenshot shows a 'JW player" sort of plugin configured in firefox to play .mp4 files. Simply installing or updating a video player (like vlc) could alter this configuration. This would explain an error that your player (meaning the player plugin installed on your system) didn't load.

They still send the baseline mp4 link. Try using any firefox plugin that detects http mp4 links. Or better yet, try using the chrome browser, which has its own built-in mp4 player plugin. To disable flash in chrome, type chrome://plugins in the address bar and change the setting. Note: you may have to reload the chrome://plugins page after changing the setting in order to see that the setting changed.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Ponens,
    Thank you for the useful reply. I installed "no script" addon for firefox, and after that, I wasn't able to download the pbs videos. I uninstalled the "no script" and reinstalled firefox 25, but that didn't help ( still couldn't download the videos by the easy method). I went to another computer that nothing was installed/changed, and also could not download the videos. That led me to believe that pbs had changed something. However, just now, I tried to take a screenshot of the "no player loaded" error, but now I am getting the secret download url again. ( I just got the secret url for the recent Nature video, Gathering Swarms").
    But thank you for the info on Chrome ( how I might be able to disable the Shockwave) and get the secret url.
    I have another unrelated question.
    On this link:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/364825-will-someone-help-me-download-a-f4m-file-vid...ny-thanks-guys!

someone asked how to download a video. I tried to use firefox, but got a whole list of fragments. ( Very strange protocol.) I don't know what to do.
    Could you please look at the link and the video, and tell me how to download it? Thanks. You would also be helping the original poster who asked this question.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Was "The Gathering Swarms" the movie you wanted or was it another?
    Quote Quote  
  9. I don't want any pbs videos at this time. I have managed to get them all.
    Last edited by jimdagys; 29th May 2014 at 03:01.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member Emeritus
    Search PM
    That is good that it is working ok again now. The urls are not really secret, they are right there in the page, as plain as the nose on a big-nosed person's face. About the other one, it is adobe hds. The sort that has f4m manifest and f4f segments. But it is not the best example to learn from because it appears that the f4m manifest is not in the usual format. That is why the poster was having trouble. Christina says she is downloading it right now. Tubedigger works on it if you don't want to do it manually. Tubedigger probably sees a clear copy of the manifest in memory.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Ponens,
    Look carefully at the date on the Christina response. Maybe it takes 2 days to download it.
    About the adobe hds, I guess I will try a trial version of tubedigger. However, can you explain briefly how to get the video manually? I say briefly, because if it is complicated, I won't be able to do it.
    About getting the hidden urls on pbs videos, I have tried firefox >tools> web developer>page source but I never could see the url. The hidden url is characterized by
    http://ga.video.cdn.pbs.org................
    (I think the "ga" stands for Georgia.)
    So far I have only been able to get the hidden url by disabling shockwave in firefox and then going to pbs video. However, it is good to have several options if one method doesn't work.
    Last edited by jimdagys; 29th May 2014 at 04:00.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!