VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Here's a little tip for all the geeks.

Usual wisdom is that you must re-install XP if you make major changes in the hardware configuration. Not true!

First go into the device manager and set the IDE controller setting to dual channel ATA. Also set the display to a 'generic' setting.

Now follow the instructions below regarding 'RESEALING' XP
    Solution 5; Microsoft SYSPREP:

There is a SYSPREP tool on the XP CD either XP Pro or Home versions.

You will need to extract files from the Windows XP CD, files are located at CD:SUPPORTTOOLS in a cab file called DEPLOY.CAB. The files are Sysprep.exe and Setupcl.exe. Extract these files to the same folder.

With the old motherboard still in the system:

You run sysprep.exe and tell it to "RESEAL" Windows XP. Note that it will shutdown the PC when it completes the reseal process.

Now pull out the old MB, install the new one and fire up the machine. It re-activates Windows XP and populates the device manager list.

You do need to re-activate with the same key-code.
    Since this technique has been so successful; I now keep a spare HD with all my major software preinstalled as a backup. I clone this drive and use it when I setup a new PC, or change out the MB in an existing PC.

Unlike some MB changing techniques, this doesn't result in dual entries in the registery, and it works when there are drastically different chipsets on the motherboards.

Hope this helps ..........

Regards
    Thomas
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Very Informative.

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I should add that if necessay one can 'reseal' their hard drive with the machine running in Windows 'safe mode'

Note that doing this doesn't 'cure' XP installation problems. It does allow the complete replacement of all the hardware in a PC, and enables a person to keep their same XP installation. Or one can have a single generic HD that's duplicated for multiple different hardware installs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ThomasW: missed that the first time it was posted. Welcome to the FAQ.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Don't you think it would be better to backup your license? What? You didn't know you could?
    Right on your computer support center, search for license, it says:
    "Backing up and restoring licenses
    If you plan to reinstall or upgrade the operating system and if you retain your protected files, you should back up your licenses before reinstalling or upgrading. You should also periodically back up your licenses to a floppy disk in case they become lost or corrupted. By default, the Player prompts you to back up your licenses approximately two weeks after you acquire a new one.

This section covers:

To back up your licenses
    To restore your licenses
    To acquire licenses automatically
    To stop being prompted to back up your licenses"
    Quote Quote