VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I just purchased the HP Slimline s5710f which is suppose to come with a 640GB hard drive. Mine came with a 750GB hard drive, HP support was surprised and said you got a free upgrade

Would the 640GB hard drive be better only being 2 platters? Or does that even matter. I know the 750GB hard drive consist of three 250GB hard drives.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by Ally68 View Post
    I know the 750GB hard drive consist of three 250GB hard drives.
    How do you know that? Did you check the exact model number? The most recent drives can fit 750 GB on a single platter. There have been 2 platter 750 GB drives for quite a while.
    Last edited by jagabo; 19th May 2011 at 08:11.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    I didn't know that. I thought 320GB platters were the biggest. How can you tell how many platters you have? I have been using the SIW program.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why do you care? I would be more concerned about who made it, the rpm speed of the disks and what kind of cache it has. That's where your dependability and performance lies.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, they're prolly trying to flim-flam you. Why don't you call them and demand the 640G as advertised. You have rights!!!! dammit!!!!......Oooohhh, say can you seeeeee......by the.... Huh? Buncha crooks over there. The only way they'll find my guns is hot and empty....Ethyl?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Ally68 View Post
    How can you tell how many platters you have?
    It's usually pretty hard to find out. Even at the manufacturers' web sites is usually not stated. Sometimes you can find reveiws or press releases that mention it.

Seagate introduces 1TB per platter:
    http://www.dpreview.com/news/1105/11050403seagate1tbhdd.asp

You can always open it up and look inside! (That's not a serious suggestion. If any dust gets inside the drive will likely be ruined.)
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Given that manufacturers (not only PC) are always seeking to lower costs, you probably have the lowest cost 750GB hard drive (i.e. three or two platter) available, especially in light of the "upgrade" from 640GB. Even if your laptop came with the advertised 640GB drive, you would get the lowest cost drive in there anyway.

I'm not familar with what the SIW program that you're referring to, but you can use Belarc Advisor to give you all the possible details (except the # of platters) about your drive that could help you in your search.

To add to what's already been posted. If you're worried about reliability, be sure to backup, backup, backup. Warranty? It's only as good as the warranty on your laptop. Speed? Switch to a SSD or a known high speed notebook drive. Slap your existing drive in an external case and you've got a nice backup device.

Another option for speed that I find really helps is ReadyBoost. Put the largest and fastest flashdrive you can in one of your USB ports and you'll notice an improvement, at least when opening programs.
    Quote Quote  
  8. FYI, SIW is System Information for Windows

http://www.gtopala.com/

As near as I can see it does not identify the number of platters on any of my drives.
    They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    Quote Quote