VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. hi all, i've just bought a Panasonic DMR-BWT735 and have found that i cant get it to play my old xvid files, even though the handbook says that it does play these files. i have no problem playing mp4 and mkv files. it is just xvid (avi extension) that won't play, any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  2. There appear to be limitations to playing Xvid files off a disk. If it's not working off a USB drive, you may have a faulty unit.
    http://www.superfi.co.uk/images/manualbrochure/PANASONIC-DMRBWT735-SPECSHEET.PDF
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Test by using a uniform avi ( xvid / mp3 ) either pal 720x576 or nstc 720x480.

If they work it could be a restriction in resolution play back.

Some models won't play them if the resolution is otherwise.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    There are tons of possible reasons why your files won't play. There may be a video encoding option in them that your player can't handle. There could be a type of audio that your player doesn't like. The resolution could be unsupported, as Bjs suggests. The player may actually be OK with your files but simply requires that you change the FourCC code to get them to play. You could always install MediaInfo and open a file with it that won't play and post the results as we can tell from that if there are any problematic things in your files, but if it's as smrpix says then that's your real problem.

I looked at the link in smrpix's post. PLEASE note that your recorder does NOT seem to like DVD+R media at all, so if you are using that, that would be the first thing I'd fix. You don't give any details on where you're playing these from, so we're just blindly guessing here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know if it is still the case, but in the past, a lot of players had problems with packed bitstreams in the xvid avi files. The remedy is free and easy: Mpeg4Modifier. It can unpack bitstreams without reencoding the video.
    Quote Quote  
  6. thanks for all your suggestions, i will try changing the resolution and see if that helps. i'll let you know
    Quote Quote  
  7. hi all. i have found a couple of xvid files that will play on my machine. i'll just have to convert all the others to the same spec (or mp4)
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!