VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am wondering if I should deinterlace my video at all or not. I am using adobe premiere elements 3.0 and I am re-encoding DVDs I have edited. One video I have isn't really edited but I am trying to convert it from pal to ntsc.

Here is my dilemma. Adobe Premiere Elements 3 offers no decombing feature. It has deinterlace (a crappy discard frame implementation) and a flicker removal option (which I believe blurs images). In order to retain quality I wanted to do 3:2 pulldown on the videos I am editing.

Can I leave them interlaced and still use 3:2 pulldown or will this screw up interlacing detection on progressive players?

Can I use avisynth frameserved within Adobe Premiere elements 3.02?

What do I do with a movie that has "mouse teeth" interlacing as well as deinterlaced material?

Should I just leave the material interlaced and encode to 29.97fps?

Thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    If the final destination is TV, then leave interlaced. The mouse teeth will not show up on your TV screen.
    Jagabo, please do not reply to this post. Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok but what about quality? My pal dvd source is a interlaced, low quality video. If I step it up to 29.97 frames and re-encode it I lose even more quality. Is there any way I can do a decent deinterlace with free software?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Interlaced PAL to NTSC is a pain. I would try a smart BOB to 50 frames per second, followed by WhateverResize(720,480), ChangeFPS(59.94), and finally SeparateFields().SelectEvery(4,0,3).Weave(). Use ConvertFPS() instead of ChangeFPS() if you want that field blended look that some hardware scan PAL/NTSC converters use.

MPEG2Source("filename.d2v")
    TDeint(mode=1, order=1) #or your favorite smart BOB'er
    LanczosResize(720,480)
    ChangeFPS(59.94) #ConvertFPS() for field blending
    SeparateFields()
    SelectEvery(4,0,3)
    Weave()
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by jagabo
    Interlaced PAL to NTSC is a pain.
    Assuming it's really interlaced. I believe he said it's a movie. If so, the chances are good it's just field-shifted (realign the fields) or a field-blended conversion from NTSC (unblend it). No way to know for sure without a small sample of the source, though.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I will give you some source tomorrow. Its not a Hollywood movie its actually a seminar/meeting thing filmed with low quality cameras (PAL).
    Quote Quote  
  7. It's probably interlaced then.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Yep, and it was incorrectly called a movie. Video, yes; movie, no.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It is interlaced, I checked it with restream. So how should I reencode it? Can I do 23.976 interlaced 3:2 pulldown?
    Quote Quote  
  10. You could use a smart deinterlacer like TDeint(), Yadif(), or TempGaussMC_beta1(), to create 25 fps and use DgPulldown to add pulldown flags to 29.97.
    Quote Quote