VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    Sorry for the confusing title as I dont know what to write regarding this matter.

So, my friend gave me anime movies in mkv format but strangely I cannot play it on my bluray player (works well on vlc).
    Is there a fast way to convert it or maybe change something something quickly (like with tsmuxer when you want to change the mkv format profile from 5.1 to 4.1)?
    Thanx & here are the file info

Format : Matroska
    Format version : Version 1
    File size : 233 MiB
    Duration : 23mn 9s
    Overall bit rate : 1405 Kbps
    Movie name :
    Encoded date : UTC 2005-02-27 12:51:02
    Writing application : mkvmerge v1.0.1 ('October Road') built on Dec 18 2004 17:26:22
    Writing library : libebml v0.7.3 + libmatroska v0.7.4

Video
    ID : 1
    Format : MPEG-4 Visual
    Format settings, BVOP : Yes
    Format settings, QPel : No
    Format settings, GMC : No warppoints
    Format settings, Matrix : Default (H.263)
    Codec ID : V_MS/VFW/FOURCC / DX50
    Codec ID/Hint : DivX 5
    Duration : 23mn 9s
    Width : 704 pixels
    Height : 528 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 4:3
    Frame rate mode : Constant
    Frame rate : 26.643 fps
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Title :
    Writing library : DivX 5.2.0 (UTC 2004-07-15)
    Language : Japanese
    Default : Yes
    Forced : No
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Does your bluray player support avi divx/xvid?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    My experience is most standalone playback devices refuse to play Divx/Xvid video in an MKV container. This is completely idiotic because the same servers will happily play the exact same video in an AVI container and Divx/Xvid is allowed into MKV, but that's how it usually is.

Do note that your frame rate is bizarre for Divx/Xvid and the fact that some anime nut job put this in an MKV container in the first place AND used this bizarre frame rate means you're likely to have all kinds of problems playing this on anything but a PC. I bet there's something very unusual with your audio too (why didn't you include that so we could check?) because after all it wouldn't be anime if the person who made the file didn't do something bizarre and inexplicable with it.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My bluray player says it supports xvid HD1080, no mention about mkv or avi, but so far I have never had problem with mkv or avi before.

It is anime mini series (shura no toki), 26 eps x 30min

For the audio:
    Audio #2
    ID : 3
    Format : AAC
    Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
    Format version : Version 4
    Format profile : HE-AAC / LC
    Codec ID : A_AAC/MPEG4/LC/SBR
    Duration : 23mn 14s
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Sampling rate : 44.1 KHz / 22.05 KHz
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Title : Japanese Audio
    Language : Japanese
    Default : No
    Forced : No

I guess you are correct jman98, as I remember before I think I played divx before but the container was avi.

If that is the case, do I really have to convert it with handbrake or is there any (preferably free) faster way / converter.

Thank you very much
    Quote Quote  
  5. I discovered a little while back (much to my surprise) my Bluray player won't play MPEG-4 Visual video is the FourCC is DX50. Neither will the media player in my TV. Change it to Xvid and it's perfectly happy to play it.

I don't know how to change the FourCC when the video is in an MKV. Assuming the audio is a supported type you can remux it as an AVI (no conversion) using Video To Video Converter. Choose Direct Stream Copy from the conversion presets, then select AVI as the output container. From there, if need be you can change the FourCC to Xvid using the AVI FourCC Code Changer (type xvid into the dropdown boxes).
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    I discovered a little while back (much to my surprise) my Bluray player won't play MPEG-4 Visual video is the FourCC is DX50. Neither will the media player in my TV. Change it to Xvid and it's perfectly happy to play it.

I don't know how to change the FourCC when the video is in an MKV. Assuming the audio is a supported type you can remux it as an AVI (no conversion) using Video To Video Converter. Choose Direct Stream Copy from the conversion presets, then select AVI as the output container. From there, if need be you can change the FourCC to Xvid using the AVI FourCC Code Changer (type xvid into the dropdown boxes).
    That's probably because DivX requires a license, while Xvid is free, so some manufacturers "bar" DivX, but call the same file Xvid, and it'll play
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, of course it is AAC audio. If you're going to be half-assed when you create a file, go all the way.

Not much chance your player supports AAC (maybe, but don't count on it). You can try putting the video and audio in an AVI container but you may have to convert the audio to MP3 and even then that weird video frame rate may still give you problems.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Most newer blu-ray players support aac so just change the 4cc to xvid and give it a try.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I mostly convert audio to AAC. The Bluray players and TVs with built in media players in this house all happily play it. My other half has a Bluray player which is five or six years old which plays AAC audio. I'd be more surprised to find a player which didn't. Nothing half-assed about it. That's AAC in an MKV/MP4 though. If for some reason your player won't play AAC inside an AVI, you can use Video To Video Converter to copy the video while converting the audio to another format (ie MP3) and saving the output as AVI.
    Quote Quote