VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. For a wonderful arts non-profit I need to create a portable set up for events built around a video bridge.
    The performer is abroad; the audience & presenters are in-house.
    The performer needs to see the audience & presenters on screen; the performer will be on screen in-house, visible to the audience & presenters.
    The event needs to be broadcast over the internet simultaneously; we also need to have the separate video & audio from the audience, presenters and performer feeds recorded for later editing.
    So the questions are:
    1.) What video equipment makes sense? What cameras, in particular?
    2.) What sound equipment makes sense? What mikes - and what board... and what else?
    3.) I'm presuming a dedicated computer for this. What computer makes sense? What other equipment along those lines?
    4.) What software makes sense? In particular, should we stick with skype to bring the performer in? Google hangouts? Is there something better?
    5.) Any other advice, recommendations, etc.

Our profound thanks in advance!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Assuming you're doing this on a shoestring -- skype and livestream. http://help.livestream.com/customer/portal/articles/806859-broadcast-a-skype-call-or-p...t-presentation. The individual cameras can record themselves internally at higher quality for later use, plus the stream itself can be saved. You will probably need a camera to computer interface device or two such as blackmagic intensity. https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/intensity
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    Assuming you're doing this on a shoestring -- skype and livestream. http://help.livestream.com/customer/portal/articles/806859-broadcast-a-skype-call-or-p...t-presentation. The individual cameras can record themselves internally at higher quality for later use, plus the stream itself can be saved. You will probably need a camera to computer interface device or two such as blackmagic intensity. https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/intensity
    Thanks! That's an excellent start. You think skype is the right choice for this?
    The nonprofit really needs a good consulting - although we'll make sure it works perfectly before the events begin.

Also, I don't think we necessarily have to do this on a radical shoestring, we expect to have some financing for this. But I don't know how much we're talking about, of course, when we leave "shoestring" behind! In any event, it would be good to know the options.

What about sound? Hooking mics, syncing the mike feeds to the video, etc?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Often the venue will have a PA system in place -- live attendees have to hear too -- in which case you can get a feed from the board. Recording onto a separate digital recorder like a zoom is useful too.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    Often the venue will have a PA system in place -- live attendees have to hear too -- in which case you can get a feed from the board. Recording onto a separate digital recorder like a zoom is useful too.
    It's been recommended to us that we get all our own equipment because the set-up will be very sensitive. If we have the equipment, we know it all works together. The event becomes more consistent, reliable and portable.

It's more important that it all really happens, that it works, that it looks and sounds as it's supposed to, than to skimp on setting it up.

What do you think?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    I have done this several times with my Paladin using 2 Sony A7ii's over HDMI via converters in wirecast. This system is the size of a ream of paper and is one of the highest quality portable systems on the market.

On a weekly basis I am bringing in people over go2meeting, skype, google hangouts or join.me and having a signal in imag and also streaming to my CDN.

If you give us a call at (253) 642-7307 or email info@yourpaladin.com we would love to get a system that will work for you!
    Quote Quote