VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi people,

I'am trying to remux some MKV movies with mainly h.264 and DTS (5.1) or AC-3 (5.1) audio inside to the MP4 container.

I tried MP4tools for that but it seems that I always fail with the audio streams being reencoded to AAC.

For the background: I want to remux the stuff because of being able to stream the movies to my Apple TV. The DTS/AC-3 streams inside won't be recognized by the Apple TV but as my google search found out the Apple TV should at least pass the audio stream through so that my AVR can decode it.

What I *don't* want is converting the DTS/AC-3 to AAC so that it would be "Apple compliant". But that's exactly what happens:
    H.264 is untouched and successfully embedded into MP4, but the DTS or AC-3 audio is converted to AAC! Not only that I don't want that, the AAC is even not working (not with VLC nor with Quicktime)!

Can anyone help me with getting this stuff to work? I would also try to use the command-line binaries to get the result, but I'am not that much experienced for manual usage of FFmpeg, mkvtools, mencode and the other knives.

For any recommendation, any tip or hackery I'am more than thankful!

cheerio bro's (and sorry for my bad english)
    xnu
    Last edited by xnu; 17th Jun 2012 at 06:44.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You could try mkv2mp4.

If you only have mac os then post in our mac section. Or I can move the post.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yes I'am using OSX.

I could also try to use the binaries on other platforms, currently having a Debian on a second workstation, but I thought that it doesn't make much difference on which platform the tools are run. Want to have the thread there where the most useful answers are expected of course...
    Quote Quote