VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i have a sony dvd rw dw-u12a drive that came with my vaio which i have been using for about 3 or 4 years now and never had any problems reading or burning. but the other day i put in "in the mix" and my computer wouldn't recognize the disc. tried opening with several different programs and none of them could find anything. strange thing is that other dvds and blank media/burning i have no problem with. do i need a new driver or do i need to buy a whole new burner?

thanks for the help
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    it's probably using a codec you don't have installed
    try vlc media player
    try gspot
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    VLC and GSpot aren't going to help much if the disc itself isn't being recognized.

Is "In the Mix" a commercial DVD? Does it play in a regular DVD player, or another computer?
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Is this "in the mix" a commercial disc or one you burned yourself? Is it CD or DVD? Need more info here. Lots of potential issues.

If it plays on another PC, it's your drive. I'm guessing, but CDs use a different laser than DVDs. It could be a problem with the CD laser, assuming this is a CD.

Burners and even drives don't last forever. I have an old Pioneer DVD-ROM drive that's over 5 years old and it has lots of problems. It won't be much longer before it will have to be replaced.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    "in the mix" is a dvd that i rented and it played fine in my stand alone player along with my PS2. i just got done burning a dvd of some old home movies so i know the burner is working, also when i put in a blank disc the system recognizes it, as well as other dvds. i also had the same problem with the dvd "domino". i don't know if it will play on another pc as i only have one.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    anyone got any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  7. I have the same problem on two known good drives with the same movie (they get used every day). Disk plays in standalones but shown no files on it in the computer.

edit
    this is pretty weird. Anydvd doesn't identify any special copy protection and dvd structure is corect but clone dvd and anydvd doesn't work. The anydvd ripper doesn't work either, but dvd decryptor seems to be ripping it (in the middle of it now) with anydvd running in the background, and oddly enough, dvd decryptor found and removed macrovision.

Edit again. With anydvd running in the background, ripped with dvd decryptor, then burned with clonedvd, I seem to have gotten a working copy. The computer still doesn't see any files on the original disk. this has got to be some sort of macrovision thing. I almost wonder if they have some sort of root kit crap going on.
    Quote Quote