VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi.

I need to cut or split specific short fragments of a video in mp4 (without re-encoding)

I used some software like Avidemux, VideoRedo TVSuite, Solveigmm Splitter, TS_Doctor, Smart Cutter for DV, but with bad results because I need to cut precise fragments of 1 or 2 seconds.

Can you recommend me any software?.

Thanks.
    Last edited by minegroasprilla; 19th Jan 2015 at 16:49.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Most free editors can only cut at keyframes. You need an editor with so called smart rendering, they reconvert the video around the cut point and copies the rest of the video.

Did you try solveigmm video splitter?
    Quote Quote  
  3. yeah, I used Solveigmm but the problem is the bad quality of fragment.
    So I need a similar software.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by minegroasprilla View Post
    the problem is the bad quality of fragment.
    Smart rendering editors don't improve bad quality. If you start with bad quality, then bad quality will be the result. The basic rule is: garbage in = garbage out.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by LMotlow View Post
    the problem is the bad quality of fragment.
    Smart rendering editors don't improve bad quality. If you start with bad quality, then bad quality will be the result. The basic rule is: garbage in = garbage out.
    no. The original video is good, but the resulting-fragment is bad.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    VideoReDo should have worked, but it depends on how your MP4 is encoded. You do realize, of course, that MP4 is a container -- it's not a codec. Perhaps you have a problem with long-GOP encoding?
    Most free video editors or cheap ones don't smart-render. And no smart-rendering editor will accept every codec in the world. What codec was used for your MP4?

TMPGenc Smart Renderer v4 has a free trial. So does SONY Movie Studio, with some formats. TMPGenc is easier to use.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  7. Deceased
    Search PM
    yeah, I used Solveigmm but the problem is the bad quality of fragment.
    So I need a similar software.
    If the tiny fragment that you need is away from the keyframe, using solveigmm video splitter amounts to a re-encode anyway. VideoCharge Studio also has a similar feature where in copies up to the keyframe, then encodes the rest. Keyframes can be as frequent as every second or up to 15+ seconds apart.

Given that what you want to do will probably result in a re-encode anyway, maybe just bite the bullet and dump the video to a raw/uncompressed format and then do frame editing.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Trying to cut precise segments of such short durations using smart rendering is possibly a little futile given the default maximum GOP size for x264 is around 10 seconds, so GOPs could be anything from 1 second (maybe less) to 10 seconds. And chances are, some of the sections will span more than one GOP.

blimey's idea of converting to a lossless format, splitting and then re-encoding the sections you want might be more practical. Or depending how fussed you are about file size you could just keep the lossless segments.

Another alternative would be to do it via AVISynth. You could create a script to encode the whole video and make multiple copies of it. Each copy could encode just a specific range of frames (start and end frame can be specified exactly). Easy enough to add cuts to a script with something like AVS Cutter. Or MeGUI has a similar AVS Cutter under it's Tools menu.

Or you could try VirtualDub. If you open the video via the ffmpeg input plugin it'll be decompressed so you can edit frame accurately. It's easy enough to save segments to a lossless AVI. You can re-encode with command line encoders using the "external encoders" feature, but it's a pain to configure.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Thanks for all answers.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!