VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    recording something off of my PS3 like the WWE Network? I'm not talking about using it to record regular television. WWE Network is a video streaming service that offers on demand programming. Does anyone know if this can work with that or will copyright issues prevent me from doing so, even if I use component cables?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    IMO.....copyright issues would definitely be more of an issue with HDMI vs. component, composite.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I have no way to test this at all, but if you use component cables it should be OK to record it with that device.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Copyright is a legal issue. Copy protection, via HDCP, CGMS-A or Macrovision, is a technological issue. You'll probably need an HDCP stripper to record HDMI output from the PS3.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Anyone?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by distinctive2004 View Post

No cable by itself will let you to record anything from the PS3's HDMI connection.

You must have read that the DVI to HDMI converter box worked somewhere. Otherwise, you wouldn't be asking about it. Various members of this forum with a similar need are using one or another of the devices mentioned in the same HDCP stripper thread where your device appears. Either you trust the sources of the information, or you do not.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 14th Aug 2014 at 01:19.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post

No cable by itself will let you to record anything from the PS3's HDMI connection.

You must have read that the DVI to HDMI converter box worked somewhere. Otherwise, you wouldn't be asking about it. Either you trust the sources of the information, or you do not. Members of this forum with a similar need are using one or another of the devices mentioned in the same HDCP stripper thread where your device appears.
    I do trust my sources. I just wasn't sure if I can go with the basic one or the big box in the second link which is much more expensive. I was wondering if anyone knew if the first link would be perfectly fine and I could save a bit of cash instead of going with the second one.

ETA: Okay, I posted in that thread you mentioned.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM

I do trust my sources. I just wasn't sure if I can go with the basic one or the big box in the second link which is much more expensive. I was wondering if anyone knew if the first link would be perfectly fine and I could save a bit of cash instead of going with the second one.
    The converter box does the work. You need an HDMI to DVI cable merely to connect the PS3 to the box.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post

The converter box does the work. You need an HDMI to DVI cable merely to connect the PS3 to the box.
    Oh, so in actuality, you are saying I need both the cable in the first link and the box in the second link, in addition to the actual Hauppauge box itself.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Gotta ask this.

There are topics on here so why not read them. Going to this expense for something that, ultimately, may NOT work for the intended purpose is somewhat crazy (and just for some rasslin'). So why not simply capture the webstream direct to your pc ?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Gotta ask this.

There are topics on here so why not read them. Going to this expense for something that, ultimately, may NOT work for the intended purpose is somewhat crazy (and just for some rasslin'). So why not simply capture the webstream direct to your pc ?
    Can't be done. It could previously with something called rtmpdump (hope that's the right word) but it no longer works. So, the options are down to screen recording (ugh) or ... this. The money for me isn't the issue as much as I just don't want to go through the hassle of buying/returning/buying. Just want to get the right product the first time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok. But you have to expect any commercial organisation to protect their content as there are individuals out there who do not record such things for their own use. That is a general statement and not directed personally at you.

But even with this equipment, if they add, as earlier stated, additional levels of copy-protection to their stream, you could record it but will not be able to play it back.

There are still direct stream recording possibilities whereby you merely do a high-quality screen capture.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Just use a simple HDMI splitter that removes HDCP. There are several $24 devices listed in the HDCP stripper thread. See the ViewHD device linked to in this post:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/334145-HDCP-strippers?p=2230745&viewfull=1#post2230745
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!