VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Basically I ordered this drive and have been burning with it but im noticing some big problems with it. First I thought it was just the media, whenever I burn a movie I go to the last chapter or the last two chapters and the suckers dont run, so essentially I thought it was a media. I have been using Optodisc 1X/2X gold surfaced and whenever I burn on them I have some problems, like checking the last two chapters of the movie, which don't run ( I have tried running the dvd in two different brands of players.) So I ordered the 4X Silver surfaced DVD + r and -r discs. Same problem. finally I decided to go RITEK g04's , same problem. I have an asus 2X that burns through all the media I throw at it, and works perfectly fine. BTW this 4X drive burns data discs flawlessly, but I basically need it to run with movies? What are my options?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do like I did, give away the DRU510A, and go get a LiteOn 411S. I throw all sorts of media at it, and it just burns, and burns, and burns.....flawlessly. AND FASTER TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Oh those medias, boy, I wouldn't let them touch my Sony....Only thing gonna touch my sony is Sony media or Accu media.

Sony.com has free live support. I got to chat with Alison this week, it only took a few minutes & you get sent via email your whole chat session.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hey dvddave i think yu are kidding that the lite-on uses any disc and works go check there frum there are heaps of complaints
    the lite-on ldw-411s only will work with very high quality discs i know by the way my customers keep abusing me for this piece of junk
    i only get round them by saying i use one and it works fine by using good media
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Neo,

I also use Ritek G04 (branded TDK) but do not have any problems on my DRU500A. Try the drive checker program available at the Sony site (same page as the firmware upgrade downloads). If that fails, you can get a new one under warranty.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I have the same drive and haven't experienced any of the problems youdescribed. Does burning software finish sucessfully? Sounds more like a software problem
    Quote Quote  
  7. The Sony drive like that cheap CompUSA 1X DVD-R media and it actually burns at 2X on the Sony burners FYI. The next DVD burner I buy will be one of the new 8X models and it's not going to be a Sony.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    anyway back to the topic in hand if your unit is not burning correctly what you can do first is did you burn the disc with the software that came with the unit
    have you updated recordnow software to ver4.61 it had a few bugs in burning engine you'll need your original software disc for this update
    have you tried a compliant disc to suit drive
    if this is all done you should return it for warranty

by the way does your unit have a decent power supply all dvd units for sony should be on at least a 400 W power supply
    Quote Quote  
  9. did you check to see if the chapters run from your HD before you put it on a dvd?
    Quote Quote  
  10. its a sony dru-510 but I seemed to have figured out the problem, sort of, although its extremely strange. The dvd I was testing had some problems with the chapters at the end, but it worked. Now for some reason on the crappy 4X optidiscs I can burns .iso, .img files and they work but when I burn a cd with copy2dvd, which is dvds I backed up with dvdshrink towards the end the movies seem to get stuck and hickupppy. But when I use my Riteks and my old 2X drive to burn on my optidiscs it works no problem.
    Quote Quote  
  11. media gets unreliable at 4x as the disk wobbles a lot.

main page, left column, dvd writers etc, has a list of what is reliable at 4x ( not much)
    Quote Quote  
  12. ya I understand but, how come I can burn .iso's and .imgs on the media and they run fine, but when I burn files that I made with dvdshrink the DVd hiccups?
    Quote Quote