VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey I have had this drive for a few days and burned a dvd and some cds and it was all going well until it randomly didnt recognize any of the blank dvds i was putting in when trying to burn. They are DVD+R so its not the wrong type. I have Phillips and Imation DVD+R's and I have burned 3 DVDs with Imation DVDs fine and burned some CD's using Memorex CD-R's. I have installed forceaspi 4.6 and turned off IMAPI and it still doesnt recognize the blank DVDs. I only have one DVD Burner and one HDD and they are on separate cables. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drive several times with no luck. When I go into my computer and click on the drive it says free space: 0 bytes and Used Space: 0 bytes when I have the blank dvd in there. When I open the tray and put in the blank dvd then close it it blinks like it is reading it and it starts spinning and such but then nothing happens, it acts like there is nothing there after a few seconds. I here some clicking noises when its trying to read it but it stops after it clicks about 2 or 3 times. The next day I installed some windows updates that i think might have something to do with it and then it magically worked and was recognizing the blank dvds and i burned a dvd but then i went downstairs and put it in the dvd player to test it and when it got past the menus and to the movie is said dvd was dirty and stopped. after this i went upstairs and it wouldnt recognize the blank dvds anymore. THIS IS FRUSTRATING!!!! So I restarted again and it didnt recognize the blank dvd again when i tried to burn so i went to the drivers and loaded the driver that window found called "force IMAPI disable" and it showed up in the burner so i was happy and it burned but when i put it in my dvd player it got past the menu and then ceized up and an error was displayed saying "the disc is dirty" so i went back to the computer and tried to burn another copy on different disc but now it wont recognize the blank dvd again. this is frustrating! do you think i should just get a new burner? here is the list of available drivers to update to. updating the drivers last time fixed it but it was short lived.

CD-ROM Drive
    CD-ROM Drive (force CDDA accurate)
    CD-ROM Drive (force CDDA inaccurate)
    CD-ROM Drive (force IMAPI disable)
    CD-ROM Drive (IMAPI settings 0,1)
    CD-ROM Drive (IMAPI settings 0,2)
    CD-ROM Drive (IMAPI settings 0,3)
    CD-ROM Drive (IMAPI settings 0,4)
    CD-ROM Drive (IMAPI settings 0,5)
    CD-ROM Drive (IMAPI settings 1,0)
    CD-ROM Drive (IMAPI settings 1,1)
    CD-ROM Drive (IMAPI settings 1,2)
    CD-ROM Drive (IMAPI settings 1,3)
    CD-ROM Drive (IMAPI settings 1,4)
    CD-ROM Drive (IMAPI settings 1,5)

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP!!!!!!!!!!!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My advice to you is to get a different DVD writer. I used to have the NEC1100a burner, and it gave me nothing but trouble and problems. From not reading blank disks, destroying re-writable disks, to burning tons of coasters. I just ended up selling my drive on ebay and buying a TDK440, pioneer 105, and TDK420.........all of them worked great for me. You can get DVD writers for dirt cheap right now, so you might want to consider getting a different drive altogether. Good luck though.
    Quote Quote  
  3. kugelschreiber: What firmware version does your ND-1100A have?

orbital517: When buying the TDK 420 you ended up with a rebadged NEC ND-1100A anyway and if I remember correct you had a ND-1100A from Dell which had a buggy first firmware.
    The only problem with the ND-1100A is that NEC is not supporting it with new firmwares so if you don't flash it with a HP firmware or NEC ND-1300A firmware the 4x media support is quite bad.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My Memorex Nec 1100a got me almost 200 burns before it stopped reading media so I sent it back to Memorex. They replaced it with a refurb that worked (temporarily I'd guess). It's a backup now for my Aopen/Ricoh. Send yours back for RMA replacement.
    Quote Quote  
  5. My Dell 1100a works perfectly and with the newer firmware... 4x burns nicely. Not one problem with Maxell and Verbatim discs.

_
    Quote Quote  
  6. Ya, My friend has that burner and it gave him nothing but BS with DVD+Rs. Once he got a Pioneer Writer everything was great, and he said the DVD-R disks work on everything he owns (Where DVD+R didn't work on his sony)
    Quote Quote  
  7. I have had the same burner for about a year and it works great!
    Quote Quote  
  8. the firmware i have is 1.NE

so i should download the 1300A firmware or what?
    Quote Quote  
  9. I would go with the HP dvd300n 3.10 firmware as it burns DVD+R with DVD-ROM book type and supports "bitsetting" for DVD+RW. You'll find what you need here.
    Don't forget to make a backup of your current firmware because if your drive is broken or has some other weird problem you might want to flash back...
    Quote Quote