VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. How in the world to you bypass Ciniva protection on DVD and Blu-Ray? Kick-Ass 2 has it on the DVD as well as on BD.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Most of the techniques people have found to eliminate Cinavia detection leave the audio so badly distorted you won't be able to stand listening to it.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/353091-How-to-remove-Cinavia-protection?highlight=cinavia

But apparently a one semitone pitch change is sufficient. You may find that bearable.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Are there SD DVD players that trigger Cinavia???
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by wulf109 View Post
    Are there SD DVD players that trigger Cinavia???
    I don't think so. But I think the OP mentioned DVD because one workaround for blu-ray backups is to use audio from the DVD rather than the Blu-ray. But studios are starting to add Cinavia to DVDs to prevent that.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do foreign released BR's use Cinavia? I see Kick Ass 2 has been released in the UK.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by wulf109 View Post
    Do foreign released BR's use Cinavia? I see Kick Ass 2 has been released in the UK.
    Some do, some don't.
    Quote Quote  
  7. The real solution is to stop using Blu-ray players to play your backups.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    With all this hysteria over Cinavia, I would imagine older Cinavia detection free Blu-Ray players gain in value. I wonder how much my old Panasonic Blu-Ray player might be worth on Fleebay.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Aren't the front USB jacks on BR players currently Cinavia free?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    The real solution is to stop using Blu-ray players to play your backups.

Truly...I have.

Alternative playback methods:

1) HTPC
    2) Media player (like the WD_TV Live).
    3) If your TV is recent and has an onboard media player, it probably supports H.264 in MKV. Convert/repackage your backups accordingly and hook up an external powered hard drive (2 TB limit) via USB to the TV.

I use both 1 and 3.

Damn, now I'm wondering what my (2) Sony standalones are worth. BDP-S-360s, lightly-used, and Cinavia free.
    I haven't used either in more than a year.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'v seen some of the older cinavia free players go for alot of money especially the Oppo players, I personnelly would rather have my back-ups on a disk then on a hard drive, From what I read there has only been 11 DVDS containing cinavia protection since 2011, Hopefully someone will soon have a fix for us die hard fans.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by tarzan54 View Post
    From what I read there has only been 11 DVDS containing cinavia protection since 2011
    A lot more than that. This list has about 160 titles: http://blog.dvdfab.com/cinavia-protection.html
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by rht42455 View Post
    How in the world to you bypass Ciniva protection on DVD and Blu-Ray? Kick-Ass 2 has it on the DVD as well as on BD.
    Not sure where you are in the world, but if it is the US (or possibly UK). Couldn't you just go into a normal store and buy a sort of no name brand cheapie dvd player, since the odds are very unlikely it would support Cinavia.

Most (well some) newer dvds are having it applied because the companies also know that most will use a bluray player rather than a dvd deck to play burned dvd backups on and they want a stop for that
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by mazinz View Post
    Not sure where you are in the world, but if it is the US (or possibly UK). Couldn't you just go into a normal store and buy a sort of no name brand cheapie dvd player, since the odds are very unlikely it would support Cinavia.
    I've never heard of any DVD player responding to Cinavia.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by mazinz View Post
    I've never heard of any DVD player responding to Cinavia.
    they haven't, but if any major brands are still making them there could be a slim chance of it sneaking into decks. However the original poster only mentioned a bluray player (well he mentioned a dvd and bluray but since he saw Cinavia on the dvd it tells me he is using a blu player only) which is why I suggested then to just get a normal dvd deck if he wants to view the dvd film he mentioned (Kick ass 2) without any problem

Or it means he made a burn for someone else and they are having an issue for the same reasons I mentioned.

either way it results in just getting a dvd deck only
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    jagabo, http://blog.dvdfab.com/cinavia-protection.html, That's where I got my information, I only mention the DVDS with cinavia protection because I wanted the OP to be aware of that information, But your standard DVD player should play those DVDS that have cinavia with no problem.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by tarzan54 View Post
    jagabo, http://blog.dvdfab.com/cinavia-protection.html, That's where I got my information, I only mention the DVDS with cinavia protection
    Sorry, I missed that you were referring specifically to DVDs.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search PM
    What I'm trying to get an understanding of is what actually triggers Cinavia? If I'm making a backup of a full BD, without re-encoding anything, why is the protection being triggered? Is it simply that if Cinavia is detected and the disk used is recordable, then the protection triggers?
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by goldenegg View Post
    What I'm trying to get an understanding of is what actually triggers Cinavia? If I'm making a backup of a full BD, without re-encoding anything, why is the protection being triggered? Is it simply that if Cinavia is detected and the disk used is recordable, then the protection triggers?
    ^ When you make your backup, you are removing the AACS encryption. Cinavia is a watermark in the audio, which is detected almost immediately, then the detection routine checks to see if this encryption is present.

From Wikipedia: The Blu-ray Disc implementation of Cinavia is designed to cover two use-cases: the first is the provision of a Cinavia watermark on all movie theater soundtracks released via film distribution networks; the second use-case is for the provision of a Cinavia watermark on all Blu-ray Disc releases that points to the presence of an accompanying AACS key. If a "theatrical release" watermark is detected in a consumer Blu-ray Disc audio track, the accompanying video is deemed to have been sourced from a "cam" recording. If the "AACS watermark" is present in the audio tracks, but no accompanying and matching AACS key is found on the disc, then it is deemed to have been a "rip" made by copying to a second blank Blu-ray Disc.

Some Blu-ray players (hardware and software) will detect Cinavia in various types of media files and stop playback at the 20 minute mark every time. Some others only seem to detect Cinavia when played from a disc, and not from usb sticks or files on a hard drive. I generally test for Cinavia using TMT 6 and it honors the Cinavia flag from everything.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks! That clears it up for me.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by wulf109 View Post
    Aren't the front USB jacks on BR players currently Cinavia free?
    Yes , they are and it works as a temporary solution for me .
    Quote Quote