VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Greetings.

I have a number of high resolution AVI files that i wish to convert to a format that I can tranfer to a DVD for playing on a domestic DVD player.

The AVI files were generated by a Photron Fastcam APX RS2 512x1024 5000fps They are 275Meg in size for a 17 second clip.

They have a vertical format that plays perfectly in windows media player. Whenever i convert them i get a horizontally formatted frame that distorts the image.

Some of the conversion tools that I have used create three side by side images of the same frame.

I need to be able to provide a DVD that can be played in a standard DVD player.

They are the results of some material testing. They are to form part of a phd thesis and i don't want examiners having issues in being able to view thw experimental results.

I would appreciate any assistance the forum could provide.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I guess the framerate will cause some problems.

Do you have a short/smaller sample? Upload to www.mediafire.com or attach when you post in our forum(max 100mb). We can then try and see if can find any methods to convert it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for responding.

I've opened it in VirtualDub 1.9.11 and it seems that the AVI file is 30fps. They were recorded at 5000fps but the action took place very quickly and the segment i have appears to be 500 frames of the important part. The high file size must be due to the frame resolution.

The frame size is 512x1092 and the format is vertical.

I'm quite happy to have black bars at the side.

Each of the files I have are at least 230Meg in size

I hope this helps.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Resize the frame to ~256x576, add pillarbox bars to fill out a 720x576 frame, change the frame rate to 25 fps, and make a 4:3 PAL DVD. If you don't mind the picture being rotated 90 degrees you can retain more of the original detail by rotating 90 degrees, resizing to ~720x492, adding letterbox bars to fill out a 720x576 frame, changing the frame rate to 25 fps, and encoding as 16:9 PAL DVD. All that assumes the source is square pixel.
    Last edited by jagabo; 13th Mar 2012 at 06:47.
    Quote Quote