VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi everyone, this is my first post here. I have something going on that I really need help with.
    I record my son's lacrosse games for the head coach. I record in full HD at 30 fps. I then import the clips into Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 and make any necessary edits and transitions. A typical timeline collection of footage is usually between 50-55 minutes.

However, when I render these clips to an MPEG2-DVD file....the file properties state that the rendered file is only 39 minutes long. Now keep in mind that the whole movie is in tact - the beginning is all there - the middle is all there - and the ending is all there.....yet it still says it's only 39 minutes long.

Here's the thing....I then drag the file into Windows DVD Maker to burn it to standard DVD...which it does with hassles EXCEPT that the game gets cut off 39 minutes in instead of showing the entire 50-55 minutes even though ALL of the footage is on the file.

COULD ANYONE OUT THERE PLEASE SHED SOME LIGHT ON THIS FOR ME?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by Mojo3432 View Post
    However, when I render these clips to an MPEG2-DVD file....the file properties state that the rendered file is only 39 minutes long.
    Ignore the file properties. What does a real software DVD player - ones such as PowerDVD or MPC-HC - say about the length. If when playing it it plays from beginning to end, I'd say it's all there.

You're using the Windows DVD Maker only to burn the DVD to disc, and for nothing else? Then don't use it and use a real DVD burning program, one such as ImgBurn. If there's something screwy with the DVD you made, it might complain before the burn begins.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for the response manono.

I downloaded ImgBurn and chose the option to burn a file to disc. However, when I choose my MPEG2 file for the source...the information tab says "unknown" for everything. Then, when I tell it to write the file to the disc it says it's not a supported file format.

All I'm looking to do is convert my timeline (HD) from Premiere Pro to a DVD (SD). I don't need any menus or anything fancy.

The process I'm using is fine other than every single video gets cut off by about 12-15 minutes and I have no idea why.
    The MPEG file is usually no more than 2GB give or take. So there is plenty of room on the disc.

PLEASE HELP.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Now there is no need to shout (post in CAPITAL LETTERS)

Are you rendering an mpeg2 file for importing in to a dvd or authoring a dvd ?. 39 minutues sounds suspiciously like a 1 gig file length(SD) but there could be a problem in your work-flow going from HD to SD. We need more details of the entire process. You are too vague. 'import/edit/export in Premiere Pro' needs to be expanded upon as to what you are actually doing.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm sorry...I wasn't shouting - I just can't figure this out and it's frustrating the heck out of me.

OK - Here is my workflow.

Canon Vixia HF S10 - recording in full HD (AVCHD) at 30 fps. To an SD card.
    I transfer the footage onto my PC and then import it into Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.
    My son's lacrosse games are 48 minutes long. 4 quarters at 12 minutes each. With face-offs and penalties all of the footage is about 55 minutes max.
    I export the media from Premiere Pro to a rendered MPEG2 file (usually just under 2GB).
    I then drag the MPEG file into Windows DVD Maker to burn it to a standard def DVD.

This works great except that the last couple of minutes of the 3rd quarter and the entire 4th quarter get cut off from the final DVD. Yet the MPEG file from which it's made is all there. What am I missing?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well CAPITAL LETTERS is shouting whether you consider it or not.

You have merely repeated what you said in your opening post so no one is any the wiser.

Rather than guess, get hold of mediainfo and post the report of what is in this mpeg2. 55 minutes at SD for dvd purposes will max out at 4GB. 2GB would still be ok if this really is SD. I am now begining to doubt it but the mediainfo report will make this more clear.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Mojo3432 View Post
    I export the media from Premiere Pro to a rendered MPEG2 file (usually just under 2GB).
    So, at that point it's already DVD compliant? 720x480 and 29.97fps? If so, what's the need for DVD Maker at all? It's reencoding the MPEG-2 isn't it? You don't want that. You want to go directly from your AVCHD files to DVD compliant MPEG-2 video. If it's compliant, you just want to create the DVD files, don't you, and without reencoding? The IFOs, BUPs, and VOBs? And if you created MPEG-2 video that has to be reencoded yet again, you're doing it wrong.

So, skip the crap Windows DVD Maker and load the MPG into an authoring program, maybe one such as GUI4DVDAuthor (free), although there are several that will accept already multiplexed streams as input. Author it for DVD and burn with ImgBurn.
    Quote Quote  
  8. did you try loading it into encore? (premiere pro comes with encore)
    Quote Quote  
  9. OK...I appreciate the input, but I don't see the need to get nasty.
    I'm not aspiring to be a famous film director - I'm just a dad doing a favor for his kid's coach. So forgive me if I don't know all the lingo and programs and terminology.

So no...it doesn't need to be re-encoded - it's already DVD compliant at 720x480, 29.97 fps. and I wasn't aware that the Windows program was crap or that it was re-encoding my file. You're right...I just want to burn the MPG video to the DVD.
    And I do have Encore, but I'm not familiar with it at all. Should I use that or the suggested GUI for DVD Author?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well I would still do as requested and post the mediainfo report on the mpeg2. Just in case your idea of DVD-compliant is not quite the same as ours.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    Hi all,

I am new to this forum and to video editing,

I am currently experiencing similar issues to that described in this post. Basically when I'm editing the video in the timeline it shows as 85 minutes. I have put separate audio music over the video to fit the 85 min time line. When the files output the length of the audio is correct at 85 mins however the video length is only showing 55 mins. When i playback just the video in WMP it looks like everything is there starting middle and end but the playback time is too short.

To render the sequence i used the default settings for Mpeg 2 DVD plugin and used PAL High Quality Progressive Wide Screen. I did not alter anything else as its my first time i though i should go with the defaults. This output 4 files a video (i think its m2v), audio (wav) and 2 other that i'm not sure of

In order to edit the movie i took a DVD given to me and ripped it to my computer using FreeMake DVD to AVI converter. The video was all fine here and with the correct playback time. I used the clip to create the sequence in premiere pro because i couldn't tell which sequence settings I should use in my scenario.

In premiere pro i was dragging small clips from the imported video on to the timeline without the audio and then putting separate music over the video. at some points i chose to go with the audio from the actual clip rather than play music over it and at other times i chose no audio altogether so there is a gap in the audio timeline

I want to eventually use encore to build a DVD but I'm worried that i will be just wasting time because the video and audio vary in length.

Is it common for the video length to look shorter in windows?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Is it possible windows media player showing incorrect time.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I didn't get all that but if you're trying to find out the correct length of the video by playing the M2V, then you won't get it. M2Vs are always shown much shorter by the players than they really are. You could always mux it and check if it's in synch with the audio.
    In order to edit the movie i took a DVD given to me and ripped it to my computer using FreeMake DVD to AVI converter.
    That was probably a very bad thing to do, if you care anything about quality. Maybe you don't, I don't know. What kind of an AVI? DivX or XviD?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks for your reply manono,

Unfortunately i had no choice but to rip dvd original content was lost. I used freemake option to rip it and chose the h.264 codec (something like that) quality wasn't that bad i couldn't tell the difference between the dvd and the ripped file. But then again i don't have the eagle eye of a professional editor. were there any other options for me apart from ripping with Freeemake?

By muxing you mean output one file?, when i do that its all correctly synced.

I will try to load it into encore and output a DVD, hopefully the readings on the m2v file are incorrect.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks manono,

It was all fine when i imported timeline in encore.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by isarasoo View Post
    were there any other options for me apart from ripping with Freeemake?
    Yes, you could have just put the DVD files onto the computer unchanged. You could have made a single MPG from it with VOB2MPG. You could have converted it to a lossless AVI.
    By muxing you mean output one file?,
    I meant joining the audio with the video, to either a DVD using Muxman or an MPG using ImagoMPEG-Muxer.
    Quote Quote