VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member, here to learn
    Search Comp PM
    So I consider myself a newbie, but one who is learning fast. It was such a simple idea, I thought. Earlier this year I decided I wanted to convert all my home movies to digital format to preserve them for posterity. My home video's from the early nineties were shot on a Sony Camcorder with an analog Video8 tapes. But the Sony TR Camcorder had died so I had to get a replacement camcorder off of eBay. No problem, plus by that time I had moved on to a Canon MiniDV camcorder that had analog to digital conversion capabilities. Oops, that camcorder was not working either, so I had to get a newer MiniDV camcorder, a Canon ZR950. But surprise! The newer MiniDV camcorders now lack A/D conversion capabilities! Time to invest in an A/D converter box, so after some research I got a Canopus ADVC110.

Hooked it all up to my iMac, fired up iMovie 09 and started playing my old Video8 analog tapes (some of which were in poor shape mangled by the first camcorder when it started to go bad!), and what's this? Why the jerkiness and frame dropouts? Plus it is not capturing whole segments! Yikes, time to do more online research on this forum and elsewhere. Looks like I need a time base corrector (what the heck is a TBC?). My old tapes were stretched and out of synch and a digital capture device has problems when the frame rates are not in perfect synch. OK, so after more research I buy an AVT 8710, and put that in line with the ADVC110. Sweet, dropouts and jerkiness are gone!

But iMovie 09 is really limiting for editing this mess, time to order Final Cut Express (why not Final Cut Pro? Because I am not a glutton for that level of punishment, yet!).

Next, there are those reels and reels of Super8 film movies from my parents shot in the 60's and 70's! Time to digitize those! Looks like I need to do more research again (and who is this Lordsmurf fellow?).

Anyway, thanks (I think) to this site for being so helpful and enabling. It has been a wealth of information and I look forward to learning more.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ctakim View Post
    ...It was such a simple idea, I thought...
    Welcome to the world of video, where NOTHING is simple. For your parents' Super8 movies, you might want to consider a transfer service like this one: http://wood-land.com. (There are many others; this is just one example of a trusted one that usually does a good job.)

The film-to-video transfers can be tricky, especially with DIY jobs, as trying to simply videotape off a projector screen may result in images that are soft, flickery, and poorly exposed.
    Quote Quote  
  3. so for ctkim and all ---just a thought would'nt an ADVC 300 - Video input adapter work for the transfer instead of using both
    the " AVT 8710, and put that in line with the ADVC110. Sweet, dropouts and jerkiness are gone!" cause it does tbc internally? cowboy
    Last edited by coloradocowboy; 20th Jun 2011 at 15:44. Reason: rename
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Thread moved to the mac forum where you can get more help.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by coloradocowboy View Post
    so for ctkim and all ---just a thought would'nt an ADVC 300 - Video input adapter work for the transfer instead of using both the " AVT 8710, and put that in line with the ADVC110. Sweet, dropouts and jerkiness are gone!" cause it does tbc internally? cowboy
    No, not at all.
    For starters, it's not the same kind of TBC: What is a TBC? Time Base Correction for Videotapes
    Beyond that, the ADVC-300 filters make video look worse.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  6. Just to make sure we are talking about how we want to convert Hi8 analog tapes to digital- onto a computer then to burn dvds , so we could play them on a regular dvd player for TV so family can watch..

=-=-=-=thanks cowboy
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    re: editing

iMovieHD (v6) is vastly superior to the newer versions of iMovie for editing SD footage. I recently pulled in about 45 VHS tapes through a Sony DVMC-DA1 using an app called "recDV" (freeware) because the Sony is no longer recognized in iMovie/Snow Leopard but recDV had no problems importing the tapes in 2 hour chunks. I dropped them into iMovieHD and it worked perfectly. If you need iMovieHD, let me know. Apple lets you download it if you already have any of the newer versions of iMovie on your computer.
    Quote Quote