VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    I like to buy a USB TV tuner, which I will use with my laptop(s). I have Digital Cable connection at home which is served through a Cable Box (Motorola DCT-700) provided by my cable company (Shaw) here in Calgary, Canada.
    My intention is to use a TV Tuner to watch TV on my laptop and record some programs in my hard disk. I like to convert the recorded programs in avi format at the end.
    We have 2 laptops at home and I might need to use this TV Tuner with both of them. Here is the specs of the laptops:

Laptop #1
    Intel Core Duo T4500 2.30 GHz
    Windows 7 64 Home Edition
    3 GB RAM
    In-built Intel Video card
    250 GB hard disk

Laptop #2
    Intel I5 540 2.53 GHz
    Windows XP Professional 32
    4 GB RAM
    In-built video card
    320 GB hard disk

I have browsed the local retailers and kind of narrowed down to these 2 devices:
    1. Avermedia AverTV Hybrid Volar Max
    2. Hauppauge WinTV HVR-850 USB Tuner

I really need someone's advice about which one should I get in terms of video quality, future proof, built quality, ability of schedule recording, high quality recording etc etc. I will appreciate if anyone please suggest. Thanks!
    Last edited by syedmahm; 25th Aug 2010 at 12:27.
    Quote Quote  
  2. If Canada is like the USA, most digital cable channels will be encrypted, so you won't be recording them directly. You'll have to use the cable box to decrypt them, output as s-video or composite, then use an analog capture device to capture. Your local broadcast channels are likely to be available via clear (unencrypted) QAM. If you have a TV with a clear QAM tuner, hook it up to the cable (ie, bypass the cable box) and see what channels it can get.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the reply. I am not so sure of how the TV broadcasts here in Calgary. But all I know is that, It is digital cable, so my provider provided me a cable box (I thought it's called digital box! Motorola DCT-700). It has a RF in and RF out. I can hook up my TV (still using a Samsung 21" tube TV) to watch all the channels. My TV is set on channel 3, then I have use the remote of my cable box to change the channels through the cable box.
    I used to have one Sabrent USB 2.0 TV Box before, which I used to hook up with my cable box and laptop. But after about 3 years of service it was broke last week. I used to record in my laptop before with the InterDVR program that was supplied with Sabrent device, but picture quality wasn't very good.
    May be I can add here the fact that, I used to choose 'NTSC-M' as the source type while using my Sabrent device.
    My feeling is that if I could use an old Sabrent device, I might be able to use one of these Hauppague or AverTv one as well. Any help would be appreciated. thanks!
    Last edited by syedmahm; 25th Aug 2010 at 12:37.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In Canada, there is no legal requirement to provide any digital cable channels in unencrypted form, so Canadian cablecos typically don't provide any. You can see what you have available using a TV with a digital tuner. If there are none available, you will need to use an external PC capture device that can work with the connections your cable box provides, and the PVR software you want to use.

If you want to record while using the laptops for something else, a device that includes hardware encoding would not be a bad idea. You will need PVR software for the XP laptop, and it might be good to decide on PVR software first, because that will partly determine hardware choices.

I use Windows 7's Media Center, and it is a good program for watch-and-erase recording. It is somewhat inconvenient if converting recordings to other formats because of the .wtv container. It isn't impossible to convert to something else unless the recording is copy protected, it just means an extra step. If you have a concern about that, OEM and freeware PVR software typically doesn't copy protect, and will use a non-proprietary container.

If you have SD service the Volar Max would work, but doesn't include a hardware encoder. If you want the AverTV software for the windows XP machine, be sure you get the full kit. There is a basic kit that doesn't include the extras and the tuner has been modified so it won't work with AverMedia's OEM software. If you have no unencrypted SD digital cable channels, Hauppauge WinTV HVR-850 USB Tuner is not a good choice for your situation, since it doesn't appear to provide any AV inputs. The Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-950Q does have AV inputs, but has no hardware MPEG-2 encoder. The Hauppauge 1192 WinTV-HVR-1950 Hybrid Video Recorder offers AV input plus hardware MPEG-2 encoding and is bundled with OEM recording software.

If you have HD service there are few choices available. If your cable box has component output (Red, Green, and Blue RCA ports), the best choice is the Hauppauge HD PVR. It does H.254 hardware encoding.

You will need a remote that includes a IR receiver with IR blaster capability if you want to have the PC change channels to record programming while you are away. The Hauppage HD PVR and Hauppauge 1192 WinTV-HVR-1950 include a remote and IR blaster in the kit. I'm not sure if the remote and IR receiver/blaster works with Windows Media Center or third party PVR software, but it will work with the bundled software. You will need to buy an appropriate remote with IR blaster for the AverMedia Volar Max, or Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-950Q, if you want to automate recording.

[Edit] I missed your second post while typing this, syedmahm. If you just want to use analog channel 3 from your cable box for recording/viewing either of your original choices will work for that. Both are good products, though neither does hardware encoding. You still need to think about PVR software.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 25th Aug 2010 at 13:02. Reason: left something out
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the reply. Here in Canada, I can only have limited choice in terms of local availability of Tuner devices. That as a part of reason why I narrowed down to only those 2 devices (1. Avermedia AverTV Hybrid Volar Max; 2. Hauppauge WinTV HVR-850 USB Tuner).
    The Avermedia one says it can record real time H.264 recording, I am not so sure about whether it is hardware or software. The local store package includes the following item:
    • AVerTV Hybrid Volar MAX (Net Weight: 25 g)
    • Quick Installation Guide
    • Installation CD
    • USB Cable
    • Carrying Bag
    • S-Video/Composite 2 in 1 Cable
    Are these a complete kit, or I still need something? I have noticed that it does not have the remote control. However, the motorola DCT-700 comes with a remote and it has schedule recording function. So, it goes to certain channel on certain time and needs a VCR to be connected through the available component output (Red, Green, and Blue RCA ports). But I used to connect with the coaxial output to my PC before and used the interDVR program to watch and record to my PC. I always stayed on a fixed channel (Channel 3) on my Sabrent device and then changed the channels of the Motorola Cable box. Windows media center might not be so useful for me as it will be difficult to convert to avi. So, my question will be; how good the Avermedia PVR software is which comes with the product to watch and schedule record in acceptable good quality?
    Or you think the I sould scrap the Avermedia one and should go for the Hauggauge 850 or may be 950Q, I don't have idea about their PVR software that comes with the products. Please let me know. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Be aware that cable coax (RF, channel 3) will be the lowest quality from the cable box. You need an analog tuner for that, not a digital tuner. S-video will give better quality from a digital cable box (if it has s-video output). You don't any tuner at all for that, just analog capture ability.

Many digital cable systems still supply analog. You need an analog tuner to get it, not digital.
    Last edited by jagabo; 25th Aug 2010 at 13:28.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Be aware that cable coax (RF, channel 3) will be the lowest quality from the cable box. You need an analog tuner for that, not a digital tuner. S-video will give better quality from a digital cable box (if it has s-video output). You don't any tuner at all for that, just analog capture ability.
    My Motorola DCT-700 has an RF out and a set of RCA out (Audio R, Audio L and Video). Thats all the output cconnection it got. I did not know that Channel 3 output will be a bod one! Would you please suggest me what other option that I might try?

I think both AverTv Volar Max and Hauggauge 850 supports analouge TV, if I am right. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by syedmahm View Post
    Be aware that cable coax (RF, channel 3) will be the lowest quality from the cable box. You need an analog tuner for that, not a digital tuner. S-video will give better quality from a digital cable box (if it has s-video output). You don't any tuner at all for that, just analog capture ability.
    My Motorola DCT-700 has an RF out and a set of RCA out (Audio R, Audio L and Video). Thats all the output cconnection it got. I did not know that Channel 3 output will be a bod one! Would you please suggest me what other option that I might try?

I think both AverTv Volar Max and Hauggauge 850 supports analouge TV, if I am right. Thanks!
    Comcast here recently went to DTA's and eliminated most analog versions of the "enhanced basic" and "digital cable" channels. Now you need a DTA or cable box to tune them. Analog channels are down to about 25, mostly locals. Good news is they added 35 more HD channels.

The DTA is very limited and has poor "RF" picture quality. Audio sucks too. I'm still trying to find out if it can be switched with an IR Blaster from PVR software.

To get better quality and PVR IR control, you may need to upgrade to a full cable box with S-Video out. The capture device you use depends whether you want SD only or access to cable HD channnels.
    Last edited by edDV; 25th Aug 2010 at 15:21.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    I missed your second post while typing this, syedmahm. If you just want to use analog channel 3 from your cable box for recording/viewing either of your original choices will work for that. Both are good products, though neither does hardware encoding. You still need to think about PVR software.
    Thanks usually_quiet. Can I depend on the AverTv software that comes with the product for a good result? I am specially interested on the scheduled recording. Or is the WinTV software is the better choice. Or if you think of any 3rd party software, please recommend me. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  10. I've used Hauppauge's WinTV in the past. It was adequate for scheduled recordings with my PVR-250.

It looks like the HVR-850 only has an analog cable tuner and an ATSC (over-the-air digital broadcast*) tuner. If your cable company still provides analog cable you can use the device's internal tuner for scheduled recordings. Otherwise you will need to use the cable box to tune digital channels and convert them to analog RF on channel 3. That will require an IR blaster if you want unattended recording or multiple channels (for a single channel you could just leave the cable box on all the time and tuned to the channel you want to record). The 850 doesn't appear to have an analog video (s-video or RCA composite video) recording ability, so you're stuck with RF.

The Avermedia AverTV Hybrid Volar Max also includes an clear QAM tuner. But from what unusually_quiet says, you may not be able to use that.

You would have to step up to the HVR-950 to get clear QAM recording from Hauppauge; the HVR-1950 to get clear QAM and analog video (RCA composite and s-video).

Some third part PVR software you should look at include Windows Media Center (Microsoft), BeyondTV, SageTV, GB-PVR, etc.:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_PVR_software_packages

It looks like Canada is switching to ATSC for over-the-air brodcasting next year:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATSC_%28standards%29
    You would need to use an antenna to get that.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the reply. Here in Canada, I can only have limited choice in terms of local availability of Tuner devices. That as a part of reason why I narrowed down to only those 2 devices (1. Avermedia AverTV Hybrid Volar Max; 2. Hauppauge WinTV HVR-850 USB Tuner).
    The Avermedia one says it can record real time H.264 recording, I am not so sure about whether it is hardware or software. The local store package includes the following item:
    • Installation CD
    • USB Cable
    • Carrying Bag
    Are these a complete kit, or I still need something? I have noticed that it does not have the remote control. However, the motorola DCT-700 comes with a remote and it has schedule recording function. So, it goes to certain channel on certain time and needs a VCR to be connected through the available component output (Red, Green, and Blue RCA ports). But I used to connect with the coaxial output to my PC before and used the interDVR program to watch and record to my PC. I always stayed on a fixed channel (Channel 3) on my Sabrent device and then changed the channels of the Motorola Cable box. Windows media center might not be so useful for me as it will be difficult to convert to avi. So, my question will be; how good the Avermedia PVR software is which comes with the product to watch and schedule record in acceptable good quality?
    Or you think the I sould scrap the Avermedia one and should go for the Hauggauge 850 or may be 950Q, I don't have idea about their PVR software that comes with the products. Please let me know. Thanks!
    It looks like it is the Volar Max version with all the accessories including the OEM PVR software. The basic kit contains only a short female-to-male USB cable and the USB tuner, nothing else.

I have not used AverMedia's OEM software, so I can't say anything about it based on personal experience. In general OEM software provided with any TV capture device is usually pretty basic, and has a few bugs or shortcomings. Some people find OEM software is just fine for their needs, but when I read user comments on websites selling computer components, OEM software is one of the things reviewers are most likely to complain about. However, if you don't like it, it's rare that the OEM software is the only thing that will work with a particular device. Usually there are at least a couple of other choices available. jagabo listed all of the PVR programs that come to mind readily.

Both the Avermedia AverTV Hybrid Volar Max and the Hauppauge WinTV HVR-850 have NTSC (analog) tuners. Both encode using software not hardware. I think your old Sabrient tuner used software encoding too. Hardware encoding wasn't mentioned in the specs when I looked it up online.

The 950Q is newer and has AV inputs. I'd go with that over the WinTV HVR-850 given a choice. Hauppauge has a better reputation than AverMedia, but I would pick the AverMedia AverTV Hybrid Volar Max over the WinTV HVR-850 too, because of its tuners and AV inputs, not H.264 encoding.

AverMedia says this regarding the AverTV Hybrid Volar Max and H.264 encoding: "Recording Video in H.264 format and playing on iPod! (In AVer MediaCenter for PC only) With advanced H.264 recording compression technology, users can record favorite TV shows into 320 x 240 resolution, download and play on iPods." So, its H.264 encoding feature may not be as versatile or portable as one would like.

If the cable box can be programmed to change channels automatically according to a schedule, it doesn't sound like you need an remote with IR reciever and IR blaster. I wish I could say the same. My cable box can only display a message reminding me it is time for me to change the channel. Supposedly it used to work like yours, but my provider removed the feature. Their explanation: Customers rarely used it. My explanation: The harder it is for customers to use their own equimment, the more DVRs they can rent.

[Edit]Windows 7's Media Center is worth trying if you primarily do watch-and-erase recording and live TV viewing. I use my TV card mostly for over-the-air and copy protection is not applicable there in the US. Copy protection may or may not be used with cable-only channels, resulting in encrypted or protected .wtv files. The individual cable provider decides what they want to do with copy protection. You would have to experiment to find out what your provider does.

Here's how I handle conversion to .ts and .mpg https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/324887-How-to-capture-ATSC-to-ts-file-with-WinTV-HV...=1#post2012073 It looks like a lot of steps, but it isn't all that hard or time consuming to get a MPEG-2 .ts or .mpg from an unprotected .wtv file.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 25th Aug 2010 at 19:46.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    Comcast here recently went to DTA's and eliminated most analog versions of the "enhanced basic" and "digital cable" channels. Now you need a DTA or cable box to tune them. Analog channels are down to about 25, mostly locals. Good news is they added 35 more HD channels.

The DTA is very limited and has poor "RF" picture quality. Audio sucks too. I'm still trying to find out if it can be switched with an IR Blaster from PVR software..
    Maybe this will help, especially if you use Windows Media Center http://digitalmediaphile.com/index.php/2009/04/17/setup-a-comcast-dta-with-mce/
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV View Post

The DTA is very limited and has poor "RF" picture quality. Audio sucks too. I'm still trying to find out if it can be switched with an IR Blaster from PVR software..
    Maybe this will help, especially if you use Windows Media Center http://digitalmediaphile.com/index.php/2009/04/17/setup-a-comcast-dta-with-mce/
    Thanks for the link. I'll try it out. I wonder if all the Comcast DTA's use the same IR codes.

The MCE and TitanTV guides still show the old channel lineup. I'll have to wait.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    • Installation CD
    • USB Cable
    • Carrying Bag
    It looks like it is the Volar Max version with all the accessories including the OEM PVR software. The basic kit contains only a short female-to-male USB cable and the USB tuner, nothing else.

I have not used AverMedia's OEM software, so I can't say anything about it based on personal experience. In general OEM software provided with any TV capture device is usually pretty basic, and has a few bugs or shortcomings. Some people find OEM software is just fine for their needs, but when I read user comments on websites selling computer components, OEM software is one of the things reviewers are most likely to complain about. However, if you don't like it, it's rare that the OEM software is the only thing that will work with a particular device. Usually there are at least a couple of other choices available. jagabo listed all of the PVR programs that come to mind readily.

Both the Avermedia AverTV Hybrid Volar Max and the Hauppauge WinTV HVR-850 have NTSC (analog) tuners. Both encode using software not hardware. I think your old Sabrient tuner used software encoding too. Hardware encoding wasn't mentioned in the specs when I looked it up online.

The 950Q is newer and has AV inputs. I'd go with that over the WinTV HVR-850 given a choice. Hauppauge has a better reputation than AverMedia, but I would pick the AverMedia AverTV Hybrid Volar Max over the WinTV HVR-850 too, because of its tuners and AV inputs, not H.264 encoding.

AverMedia says this regarding the AverTV Hybrid Volar Max and H.264 encoding: "Recording Video in H.264 format and playing on iPod! (In AVer MediaCenter for PC only) With advanced H.264 recording compression technology, users can record favorite TV shows into 320 x 240 resolution, download and play on iPods." So, its H.264 encoding feature may not be as versatile or portable as one would like.

If the cable box can be programmed to change channels automatically according to a schedule, it doesn't sound like you need an remote with IR reciever and IR blaster. I wish I could say the same. My cable box can only display a message reminding me it is time for me to change the channel. Supposedly it used to work like yours, but my provider removed the feature. Their explanation: Customers rarely used it. My explanation: The harder it is for customers to use their own equimment, the more DVRs they can rent.

[Edit]Windows 7's Media Center is worth trying if you primarily do watch-and-erase recording and live TV viewing. I use my TV card mostly for over-the-air and copy protection is not applicable there in the US. Copy protection may or may not be used with cable-only channels, resulting in encrypted or protected .wtv files. The individual cable provider decides what they want to do with copy protection. You would have to experiment to find out what your provider does.

Here's how I handle conversion to .ts and .mpg https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/324887-How-to-capture-ATSC-to-ts-file-with-WinTV-HV...=1#post2012073 It looks like a lot of steps, but it isn't all that hard or time consuming to get a MPEG-2 .ts or .mpg from an unprotected .wtv file.
    Thanks again for all the ins and outs. I am sure it's a big world specially when my knowledge is very limited. I am going to grab the AverTv Hybrid Volar Max tonight and see how it works. I will sure let you guys know how it is coming.
    I am pretty sure my cable box (Motorola DCT-700) first informs you about the channel change because of an upcoming scheduled recording in the on the way, then it switches to that channel unless you hit to cancel the recording.
    Assuming the AverTV software will perform schedule recording as the way I wanted to be, but there will still be a video quality issue as you and jagabo warned me that my cable box does not have a SVideo output. It only has a coaxial output and a RCA output. The Volar Max device comes with a composite cable with RCA and SVideo input. As the Channel 3 function gives a poor quality outcome, is there any other alternative way get the reception?
    Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  15. If you have to capture from composite you will get better quality from an ATI 650 or 750 based device. Like the TV Wonder HD 650 Combo USB:

http://www.amazon.com/Wonder-HD-650-Combo-USB/dp/B0037A3MVE/

The 3d comb filter will remove rainbow artifacts from luma/chroma crosstalk. See the images in this post:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/313735-Capture-card-for-Laserdisc-and-VHS-Good-card...=1#post1940519

The ATI software is pretty useless so you'll want to use windows MCE or one of the third party PVR software packages.
    Last edited by jagabo; 26th Aug 2010 at 12:56.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you have to capture from composite you will get better quality from an ATI 650 or 750 based device. Like the TV Wonder HD 650 Combo USB:

The 3d comb filter will remove rainbow artifacts from luma/chroma crosstalk. See the images in this post:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/313735-Capture-card-for-Laserdisc-and-VHS-Good-card...=1#post1940519

The ATI software is pretty useless so you'll want to use windows MCE or one of the third party PVR software packages.
    Ha ha. Again the Canadian limitation! In Canada we are kind of limited to only a certain products. This item in amazon can't be shipped to Canadian address and I have browsed to local Canadian retailers. None of them have any of these products. In fact the Volar Max is the only Avermedia that is available in any Canadian local retailers. However, Hauppauge 850 and 950Q are available through. I have already booked the AverTV Volar Max for me and I am going to pick that up tonight. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you have to capture from composite you will get better quality from an ATI 650 or 750 based device. Like the TV Wonder HD 650 Combo USB:

Ha ha. Again the Canadian limitation! In Canada we are kind of limited to only a certain products. This item in amazon can't be shipped to Canadian address and I have browsed to local Canadian retailers. None of them have any of these products. In fact the Volar Max is the only Avermedia that is available in any Canadian local retailers. However, Hauppauge 850 and 950Q are available through. I have already booked the AverTV Volar Max for me and I am going to pick that up tonight. Thanks.
    This is strange since ATI is located in Canada
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks again for all the ins and outs. I am sure it's a big world specially when my knowledge is very limited. I am going to grab the AverTv Hybrid Volar Max tonight and see how it works. I will sure let you guys know how it is coming.
    I am pretty sure my cable box (Motorola DCT-700) first informs you about the channel change because of an upcoming scheduled recording in the on the way, then it switches to that channel unless you hit to cancel the recording.
    Assuming the AverTV software will perform schedule recording as the way I wanted to be, but there will still be a video quality issue as you and jagabo warned me that my cable box does not have a SVideo output. It only has a coaxial output and a RCA output. The Volar Max device comes with a composite cable with RCA and SVideo input. As the Channel 3 function gives a poor quality outcome, is there any other alternative way get the reception?
    Thanks!
    I have a special "home theater edition" of an older Motorola box with S-Video out, which I wanted once I found out they existed. I've tried, but it is of no help for automatic recording. It just has a "Reminder" function available now, which doesn't change the channel automatically like the "VCR" function would. Some of my provider's other SD boxes still have the "VCR" function, but have no S-video out. Apparently only the box I have and their HD boxes have an S-Video connection. Since I don't have an HDTV, paying for an HD box isn't worth the extra money.

Given the connections your cable box has, your only choice other than RF is the yellow RCA composite port for video, and the red and white RCA ports for audio. The AV breakout cable for the AverTv Hybrid Volar Max has composite video availble as well as S-Video. It doesn't seem to have comb filters for noise reduction when using composite or coax video connections, and the Hauppauge products you have been looking at don't either. Most USB TV tuner/capture devices don't include a comb filter. It is more common for internal capture cards to have them.

ATI was bought by AMD but they still have offices in Canada, so I would also have expected them to be better-known in their original homeland.

I order most computer parts online myself, often from Newegg, which happens to have a Canadian online retail operation. They are selling the Diamond/ATI TV Wonder 750 USB device should the AverMedia USB tuner prove unsatisfactory. http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815306019 Future Shop has them online as well http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/diamond-diamond-ati-theater-hd-750-usb-tv-tuner...eaterhd750u-en

I have the PCI-E version of the Diamond/ATI TV Wonder 650, and it is a good device for TV capture. The TV Wonder 650 line looks to be out of production and few places have them now. Here's a Canadian source for the USB version http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3584099&CatId=1427. It isn't a USB stick but it offers built-in ports rather than a breakout cable. [Edit] The TV Wonder 650 USB also offers hardware MPEG-2 encoding. The TV Wonder 750 products use software encoding.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 26th Aug 2010 at 22:04.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry to be late to let you guys know about my new device. I have purchased that AverTV Hybrid Volar Max. So far so good. Picture quality is not bad. The AvertV software is ok, has the ability to scheduled record. But the software is relatively complex to use than my previous Intervideo WinDVR. It could have a better interface.
    Quote Quote