VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am curious if there is such a vpn that makes the entire computer appear as if in a different country. I don't mean using the vpn in a browser or typing in proxy numbers in software. The reason I ask is that, for example, with googletalk, there is a googletalk plugin (exe) that must be installed. During the install process, the software connects directly to the internet, and of course, when it is doing this, it can find out and log your real ip address.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I think they did this Experiment in Philadelphia ...
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Ours isn't really a great site to ask about VPN or proxy servers or anonymity. You should be able to find lots of links with an internet search. If you have any interest at all in anonymity, Google is one of the last places to visit as they sell your visits to anyone.

Try a search engine like DuckDuckGo or similar to have a bit of anonymity. And do some searches for VPN and proxy servers. There are a lot of them out there.

But if you are doing something truly illegal, then even those won't fully protect you. You should do a lot of studying.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Is there such a vpn that makes entire computer appear in different country?
    As opposed to only part of your PC ?

You ate a lot of lead paint chips as a child didn't you ?
    LOL!!!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    TunnelBear
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Baby FishMouth.

See, I can make up words, too.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    https://www.tunnelbear.com/

I'm not making up words, but Baby FishMouth, I think, is pretty original Scott. Ill remember that.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Wish I could claim that one, but it's from "When Harry Met Sally".

Actually, "see, I can make up words, too" has been used before also. It's most recently famous from "Family Guy", but I've heard it at least 2 or 3 times before that occurrence (yes, he swiped that phrase - not a big fan).

Much of my vocabulary seems to consist of regurgitating stock quotes & phrases. Particularly from old cartoons. What does that say about me?

OK, back on-topic: @jimdagys, why don't you just work out with some foreigner to remote into his/her computer (logmein, etc) and then you will actually be USING a PC/site from another country and it's all legit.

Isn't it?...Right?

Or you could just learn to live with the rules that everyone else has to live with. There is very little that exists-but-is-nationally-unavailable that would be a worthwhile quest.

Plus, I'm just spit-balling here, but I'm assuming this is gonna be like your similar recent hair-brained questions.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You're right, Scott. Been a long while since I've seen that one.

Maybe someone should start a new website dedicated to VPN's with a well moderated forum.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    jimdagys - You could just ask your Chinese friends what they do. There are plenty of smart techies there who know how to get around government restrictions.

But to give perhaps a better answer to what is actually a decent question, GoldenFrog.
    http://www.goldenfrog.com/vyprvpn?gclid=CP68zMqX1r4CFW4R7AodIlwA2Q

I don't do BitTorrent much, but when I do, it's what I use. It routes all my external connections through a proxy server of my choice. They have proxy servers in about 30 different countries. Having said that, none of us can give you a 100% guarantee that a really smart person with access to superior software and hardware tools (I'm thinking of government level workers rather than hackers at home) can't possibly figure out where you are really coming from. So you can use it to route through a different country and do so via encryption so it makes somebody REALLY have to badly want to figure out what you are doing to spend the time necessary to dig through the encryption (if they even can) and the routing through a different country. If you are trying to watch unauthorized uploads of American comedy TV shows (the rest of you might be surprised at what the Chinese government bans - makes no sense at all) that is one thing. If you are trying to do illegal stuff or engage in political activities with an element of risk, that is something completely different and a state level employee in such a circumstance might actually care enough to try to figure out what you are up to.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jimdagys View Post
    I am curious if there is such a vpn that makes the entire computer appear as if in a different country. I don't mean using the vpn in a browser or typing in proxy numbers in software. The reason I ask is that, for example, with googletalk, there is a googletalk plugin (exe) that must be installed. During the install process, the software connects directly to the internet, and of course, when it is doing this, it can find out and log your real ip address.

what you ask for is not possible because googletalk is VoIP and in order for it to work correctly the real IP must be known, especially considering the fact that while calls within the US are free, there is a charge for international calls. and i know google talk can also be used for video chat but since it's VoIP it doesn't use standard HTTP/S protocols, it can use any number of other protocols such as:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voice_over_IP

i can think of one illegal and unethical way to completely hide your true ip but even that i'm not sure would work because someone could just see who you connected to and have a good idea of who you are.

and not for nothing, your question really smacks of some shady s**t, so...
    Quote Quote  
  12. Has nothing to do with illegal. I'll give you a situation.
    1) I am in China and want to watch pbs videos. I can do that , now, by using a proxy in the browser. PBS videos are blocked in China, also PBS won't allow the streaming videos to be watched outside of USA. Proxy solves both of these problems in one go. But suppose PBS gets smart and the shockwave player goes directly to the internet ( not through a browser) and checks my ip. My vpn that operates through a browser would be useless in such a situation.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Not that I would recomend anything like this, but maybe this is something you may be interested in. It requires linux however........
    http://www.getdeb.net/app/Anomos
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  14. Deadrats,
    Thank you for the useful information:
    http://support.vpnsecure.me/articles/ssh-tunnelling-proxy-troubleshooting/http-proxy-a...sh-connections
    HTTP Proxy: Anonymising Shockwave Flash connections
    In some configurations shockwave & flash sites are able to bypass your browsers proxy settings and make direct connections from your real IP to their hosts.
    In the case of geoblocked streaming sites this can stop you being able to watch content with an error.
    OpenVPN and PPTP/L2TP connections do not have this problem because they will force ALL traffic from ALL applications to go via our servers, however HTTP proxy and SSH tunnels rely on the applications obeying your proxy configuration.

There are two different methods to fix this privacy issue.
    Windows - MMS.cfg
    On Windows, first, go to %Windir%\System32\Macromed\Flash
    In this directory, create a text file named mms.cfg.
    Open this file with your text editor, and write the following line:
    DisableSockets=1
    This will disable the possibility of flash to connect to websites without using the proxy of the browser.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!