VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm asking this for someone else. They have the Panasonic DMR-ES35VS DVD/VHS combo unit. I tried to copy a VHS tape to DVD-R (Panasonic brand) and encountered a disc read error. The unit wanted to do a self check which I did but it didn't help. So I tried another disc (Panasonic brand) but that wouldn't work either. So then I put a commercial DVD movie in that I knew had worked 30 minutes earlier and that wouldn't work either. So now, this unit will not play any DVDs. It can't read them. I tried unplugging the unit but it still has the same problem.

I find this all to be strange because it was playing DVDs right before I tried to burn a disc. So I'm inclined to think something might just need to be reset. Earlier the remote wasn't working so it had to be reset - by holding down the "1" and "Enter" buttons. There's also the possibility that some buttons may have been pushed during the self-check phase, which I've read can cause problems.

Does anyone have any idea as to why this disc reading problem is happening and how it can be fixed?
    Quote Quote  
  2. How old is it? Clean your laser.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If your machine is making a grinding noise when trying to read/write and you notice the center spindle part of your discs look scuffed instead of looking crystal clear like they should, I'd say the machine needs it's spindle cleaned.
    A quick way to test this is to slightly moisten your finger with saliva and then apply this saliva to the clear center part of the disc, only bottom part needed. If this quites your machine and allows read/writes, it means you have a dirty spindle. Spindle cleaning is not too hard and after you have the cover off your machine and drive it only takes a few minutes to do. I use a q-tip soaked in either iso propel alcohol or even clean water.
    I've used the saliva method for several months on a machine that is hard to gain access to but the best is to clean the spindle.
    Note cleaning CD's don't clean the spindle. For that you need to actually take the machine apart. Here's a link talking about spindle cleaning on Pannys.
    http://club.cdfreaks.com/f106/fixing-your-panny-when-theres-fault-lens-cleaning-doesnt-help-210507/
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Great post jjeff.

I inherited a DMR-E50 which only just works at all. Methinks it's long overdue for a good clean.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    All of my Pannys, even 2 ES-15's that are just a year old have needed to be cleaned. Go figure, and no one in our house smokes and we have no pets?? I guess dust resides everywhere At least it only takes a few minutes to clean once on the table. Good luck!
    Quote Quote  
  6. I've got an E10 from 2001 that I've never had to do anything to it still works fine. Must just be the newer recorders.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The thing that doesn't make any sense is that it worked perfectly right before trying to burn a disc. It had played a DVD fine about 20-30 minutes before trying to burn a disc. Then after that, nothing would work in it. So I think something happened when it tried to burn a disc that caused it to stop working. I don't think it's the spindle. And I think it's possible that the problem happened during the self-check mode.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can't offer help only can say I have the exact same problem. Attempted to copy VHS to DVD and it said that it needed to do a self check, made some buzzing/grinding noises and said that it had failed. Now nothing will read as every time I put in a "normal" dvd it makes the same noises consistently and says error reading disc.
    Quote Quote