VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    To my pleasant surprise, Sony Movie Studio Platinum Suite 12 has undocumented VOB support, at least within the Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (Service Pack 1), first-generation i7 Intel chip working environment I have it installed. (My software build number is 756.) I have not tested this in any other environment.

Importing a VOB file isn't possible using the normal "Import Media" function; ".vob" does not appear as an option in the drop-down menu of "valid" formats. However, I can copy and paste a file path to a ".vob" file and successfully open the file. I'm also able to add VOB file(s) by dragging and dropping them into the "Project Media" window.

I have had no issues working with VOB files and have noted three apparent advantages when using them in this software:

1. I can work with VOB files without having to convert them first into another format.

2. In my environment, the video response-time in the monitor window is in real-time or in very smooth, near-real-time depending upon the preview method. The advantage is not being dependent upon converting a clip to DV or another "edit-friendly" format to achieve this. When I preview any selected video directly from the timeline, it is in real-time and includes all edits, transitions and effects applied to the selection. The preview also has never stuttered.

3. I have yet to come across any problem with video/audio de-syncing, whether in any preview mode or after rendering to any format I convert to: .mpg, .mp4, DV, or AVI. I'm very glad not to have to worry about this problem. I have not tested this when converting to any other format.

Just to note, I have never knowingly added any third-party codec support or enabled any funtionality that might be allowing this use of VOB files. It's possible any supported platform/environment may allow this option natively, but any individual user would have to verify it's available using their own machine.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I'm moving you to our editing section. It's not any video news.

Can't you use any real dvd importer in movie studio also? Like import a dvd folder?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, I cannot drag and drop files from the VIDEO_TS folder level, if I understand your question correctly. Multiple VOB files within the folder can be selected and imported this way, however.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Using 'Import DVD Camcorder Disc' works, but it's not perfect. Try the 'Gary James method'.
    Vegas allows you to open up a DVD .IFO file. This imports the entire .VOB chain for both video and audio tracks.
    First: Import the entire DVD onto your hard drive.
    Click File / Open, then navigate to your VIDEO_TS sub directory and enter *.IFO in the File name input field. For a regular DVD you will see a VIDEO_TS.IFO, and a VTS_01_0.IFO. Select the VTS_01_0.IFO file and click on Open.
    (Unencrypted DVDs of course)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    .VOB contains MPEG2, and Vegas supports MPEG2. Not really an undocumented secret.
    Last edited by budwzr; 13th Mar 2013 at 21:00.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    vkmast, thank you very much! I tried the Gary James method and it works, with one slight variation. I navigated to the directory containing the VTS_01_0.IFO file but the extension would not be recognized. My workaround was to drag and drop the file into the project.

I tried this method on DVDs that were ripped with their menus intact and also on DVDs that only had a "Main Movie". In both cases, the only content that appears in the timeline is the "Main Movie". This is fine by me, If I want to create my own chapters and menus, I know I have that option.

The "main movie" content is complete in the timeline and the VOB files are in the correct order. This is a quick way to bring the DVD content into the project and I'm glad to know of this capability.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pfflamingo View Post
    I navigated to the directory containing the VTS_01_0.IFO file but the extension would not be recognized. My workaround was to drag and drop the file into the project.
    Doesn't Project / Open > xxxdvd > video_ts : File name: *.ifo or All Files (*.*) show the .ifo files or all files for you?
    It does for me in VPros and MSP 12.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    vkmast, thank you again. Yes, the Project / Open > xxxdvd > video_ts : File name: *.ifo or All Files (*.*) path does work.

Previously I did not see the "All Files" option as the (very large) drop-down menu does not open fully to show all available options; "All Files" is one of the few that are by default hidden from view. It is not immediately obvious that there are even more options than the thirty that do appear, at least in my interface.

(I used the Project / Open path in both attempts as the software build I'm using does not have a File / Open path, but that's really not an issue here.)
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pfflamingo View Post
    To my pleasant surprise, Sony Movie Studio Platinum Suite 12 has undocumented VOB support, at least within the Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (Service Pack 1), first-generation i7 Intel chip working environment I have it installed. (My software build number is 756.) I have not tested this in any other environment.

Importing a VOB file isn't possible using the normal "Import Media" function; ".vob" does not appear as an option in the drop-down menu of "valid" formats. However, I can copy and paste a file path to a ".vob" file and successfully open the file. I'm also able to add VOB file(s) by dragging and dropping them into the "Project Media" window.
    .... snip ....
    Hi pfflamingo,

Just wanted to thank you for your post. I just tried your method and it works fine for me in SMSP12.

MKS
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    MKS, You are most welcome. I genuinely like Movie Studio 12 a great deal even though operationally it has some quirks that need workarounds!

I notice Sony has had no update to the software since March of this year.

I'm glad you found my post useful.

Cheers!
    Quote Quote