VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A little help,

I've just bought my first 3D Blu-ray and I want to rip it to my PC's HDD.

I typically use AnyDVD HD and rip a normal Blu-ray to the drive with no problems. It keeps all the menu's and movie intact. However I'm not able to with a 3D Blu-ray.

I use a Boxee Box to stream a full disc (DVD or Blu-ray) to my TV. But I have tried everything with AnyDVD and nothing allows it to play what I get from a 3D Blu-ray.

A point in the right direction as to what software to use to rip the 3D disc would be greatly appreciated. I won't be buying any more 3D discs unless I can figure out how to rip them successfully.

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Are you registered as human?
    Negative, I am a meat popsicle!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DVDFab Blu-ray 3D Ripper?
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Aedipuss,

It took me a while, but I think I finally found the info I needed on DVDFab's web site;

Can I copy blu-ray 3D movies with DVDFab Blu-ray Copy?

Yes, you can. There are three ways to make blu-ray 3D movie backups.
    Blu-ray Copy - Full Disc: Copy as Blu-ray 3D; Convert to Side By Side 3D.
    Blu-ray Copy - Main Movie: Convert to Side By Side 3D.
    Blu-ray Copy - Clone: make a 1:1 bit for bit 3D copy.

So in fact, one shouldn't use the Blu-ray 3D Ripper, as they suggest on the same web site;

Can I backup my blu-ray 3D movies with Blu-ray 3D Ripper?

No, you can not, the one you need is Blu-ray Copy, which supports to make 3D movie backups in two ways ( Side by Side; 1:1 bit-for-bit 3D copy).
    Blu-ray 3D Ripper is used to rip 3D blu-ray movies to other 3D video formats like AVI, MP4, WMV, MKV, M2TS, TS, etc. The output 3D files can be played using 3D players like Stereoscopic Player and NVIDIA 3D Vision Video Player, or directly transfer to your 3D TV to get the fantastic 3D experiences.

So for my requirements, I would have to use Blu-ray Copy.

I ran the conversion process for 5 1/2 hours and it gave me a "Task_1 failed! Error=102" error message and stopped. So I still don't have a 3D Blu-ray copy that I can play through my Boxee.
    Are you registered as human?
    Negative, I am a meat popsicle!
    Quote Quote  
  4. As it is very possible that the Boxee cannot recognize or stream the contents of a 3D BD folder(yet), you might want to try using the ripper converting to MP4 or MKV for instance to see if it can handle that. I noticed at Boxee's website that even some ripped dvd folders can be troublesome for the boxee. You may want to hold off on buying more 3D B-ray till you hear back from Boxee on whether they will be supporting it soon?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    DaredevilMouse is correct. Unless I'm mistaken because of some recent update, Boxee treats 3D just the same as 2D. That means, your TV won't get that extra info from the HDMI signal that tells the TV to automatically go into 3D mode.

The best you can do then is use a format which the TV can understand when you put your TV into 3D mode MANUALLY. This is usually either "Side-by-Side Half" format (aka SbS) or "Top & Bottom Half" format (aka T/B). SbS is anamorphically squeezed in half horizontally (so, 1920x1080 for the combined image instead of 3840x1080) and T/B is anamorphically squeezed in half vertically (so, 1920x1080 for the combined image instead of 1920x2160).

Yes, these 2 formats only hold 1/2 the information that a normal 3D BD disc contains, there currently is no way around this unless you have a software player on a PC that fully supports both the HDMI 1.4 3D spec, understands the 3DBD format, and can read ISO files.

However, having a 3DTV & 3DBD discs, I can tell you that even though it's HALF the original resolution, you still get a very decent 3D experience out of SbS or T/B formats. I would say it's still worth it buying the discs.

And both DVDFab Blu-ray 3D Ripper and 3DBDBuster can rip+convert to formats that will play SbS or T/B. And Stereoscopic Player, TMT, Cyberlink PowerDVD, Corel WinDVD are known to play either 3DBD material and/or other related 3D file formats (including SbS and T/B).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is now any free alternative available to rip a 3dbd to hd, regardess of output format? Or can I at least just play the BD from the BD drive? My TV set is no-3d capable, but if I could play a 3d movie in anaglyph I could just use my red/blue glasses!
    I also tried playing the 3dbd on a regular bd player... but it does not even start playing, complaining about TV set not being 3d! I hoped I could grab the SBS output through the output pin of TV SCART...
    -- Jumpjack --
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search PM
    If you mean re-encode try BD_RB
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    @jumpjack, next time best to start your own thread instead of hijacking this one. Regardless, your circumstances seem QUITE different from the OP's.

First and foremost, you don't even own a 3DTV. This means, whatever solution you try will require you to end up with either an ANAGLYPH-type output (Red/Cyan, Green/Magenta, Blue/Amber, or similar) or a Freeviewed, non-anamorphic Side-by-side output (either defocused, parallel L/R, or crosseyed R/L) where the freeviewing may or may not be aided by a barrier/mirror stereopicon device. And ALL of these scenarios are of much less than optimal quality.

Second, since you don't seem to even have a 3DBD player, you will HAVE to use your BD drive in your PC to output to your TV, as many 3D titles are designed to NOT ALLOW playback of 3D material as 2D (sometimes for technical reasons, sometimes for financial/marketing reasons).

So the simplest option I see is to use 3D-enabled versions of PowerDVD or TMT (if you have them already), as they should be able to convert on the fly to one of the flavors of Anaglyph. If you don't have them, you can get a trial copy of Stereoscopic player, which can also convert on the fly - to ANY anaglyph flavor (may also need AnyDVD to bypass the encryption). Note, however, that SP only shows 5 minutes at a time in trial version.

Otherwise, converting 3DBD to a SbS file with BDRB as mentioned is your only totally freeware choice (which you should also be able to then view as Anaglyph with PDVD, TMT, SP, or StereoMovieplayer (last is also freeware).

Just to make it very clear: you will be losing a LOT of quality by going to Anaglyph, and if you have to go the reencode route, you will also be losing quality there too.

Scott
    Quote Quote