I have a VB6 program that uses the Windows Media Player 10 control on a window to play mpg (MPEG1) files. Because WMP cannot or will not Fast Forward or Rewind these files, I use code in a timer that bumps the current position a little 30 times a second to simulate FF. I got this code working using files on a local hard drive. Now if I play files from a CD/DVD drive, the picture freezes during FF until the program returns to "normal" play speed. Then the picture jumps to the current location and continues playing. It appears that the data cannot be read fast enough from the cd drive.

Is there a control, usable in VB6, that can FF and RW these files from cd/dvd drive? Is there a way to change the codex used by WMP for playing these files that would allow WMP to FF/RW. I need up to about 8x FF if possible.

PowerDVD6 and WinDVD can FF and RW these files from cd with no problem at more than 8x speed, but as far as I can tell, they don't have a programmable OCX available. I'm willing to buy a tool if it will do what I need.

Any help/suggestions appreciated.

Steve