VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,
    I captured footage from a JVC vhs tape. I capped with the ATI usb 600 and virtualdub without filters. My vcr was the JVC SR-V101US (TBC built-in). I saved it as an .avi lagarith yuy2. This is a sample. Please give me some advice on what filter chain and workflow I could use to improve this file. I prefer virtualdub but I'm not afraid of avisynth as long as I can find the plugins. I want to eventually burn a dvd. Thanks

http://wikisend.com/download/367934/SampleSgan.avi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have the exact same VCR and use the same capture stick.

There is alot of vertical jitter in the clip, and a few too many distracting dropouts/comets/speckles, and of course some noise. If you burn a DvD with this clip it will add much chaos to MPEG-2 compression.

This VCR is known to create that vertical jitter with its TBC, combined with DNR, overdoing it. And I recognize that plasticky look too.

Before I, or anyone, could recommend some software solutions, can you let us know:

What were your VCR settings, particularly for TBC/DNR or Video Stabilizer, Picture Control, Digital R3?
    Are you using also an external TBC in your chain?
    Are those dropouts random (different every time you play the tape) or in exactly the same spot every time? Do you still have the tape? If you do, there are some neat ways to correct this flaw - much harder without the tape.

You can look into Neat Video to correct some of that noise and even jitter, and some AviSynth scripts as well, but it's easier to recommend procedures (capturing and post processing) if you can tell us a bit more about your capture setup.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
  3. The TBC doesn't seem to be doing much. Is that a second generation tape?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    The TBC doesn't seem to be doing much. Is that a second generation tape?
    I personally believe the TBC is doing TOO much.

This effect happens alot with these S-VHS JVC models on some tapes with EP recordings, even with 1st generation. Not all, but a few. The internal TBC tends to be a bit too ambitious in such cases and overdoes it the other way.

Tracking manually helps, but that can create other problems in the picture too.
    Quote Quote  
  5. In any case, it hasn't cleaned up the horizontal jitter. And the sharpening filter has created over-sharpening halos.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, which is why I'm curious about the settings used.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What were your VCR settings, particularly for TBC/DNR or Video Stabilizer, Picture Control, Digital R3?

I used picture control on edit. The tbc/dnr is on. Digital R3 is off and video stabilizer is off. I still have the original tape. I'm not using an external TBC and those dropouts are random.

Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can look into [url=https://www.videohelp.com/tools/Neat-Video]Neat Video to correct some of that noise and even jitter, and some AviSynth scripts as well, but it's easier to recommend procedures (capturing and post processin) if you can tell us a bit more about your capture setup

Nothing special:
    Virtualdub cap (lagarith yuv2)
    No other filters applied
    Ati 600 usb
    The jvc vcr

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I like your JVC settings too for most tapes, but I don't use them for all tapes.

Some tapes will need different combos from this unit. Try different settings with Digital R3 (which can be overly aggressive on some tapes) and different combos with Video Calibration (maybe it's the tracking). As you know, you can only have either TBC/DNR or Video Stabilizer ON, but not both - but try each in combo.

This jitter is not the case for all tapes, but I would play with different combos of the above settings for such difficult tapes. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But that's a fact with these JVC S-VHS units. If you still can't correct it in the settings, then, honestly, you may need to use another VCR with this tape. I personally have three in the mix. Don't get me wrong, it's a great machine, but not for every tape.

But you can try this script too after. To eliminate those dropouts, since they're random, and you have the tape, capture it at least three times and then run it through with this Median plugin found here:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/362361-Median()-plugin-for-AviSynth

It works excellent. It takes the median pixel value, not the average pixel value, which effectively drops any extreme whites and blacks.

Don't make the mistake of different settings for all your captures - capture them exactly the same way. Your captures have to be perfectly cut at the same place to be in sync, but you can do this with the Trim command in your script at a common point (shown as a,b,c,d,e here). Load it into VirtualDub and just use Direct Stream copy, and the audio will be the same as in the first clip in your script:

Try on smaller clips first to get the hang of it.

Code:
    clip1=AviSource("your 1st capture").Trim(a,0)
    clip2=AviSource("your 2nd capture").Trim(b,0)
    clip3=AviSource("your 3rd capture").Trim(c,0)

Median(clip1,clip2,clip3)
    This should eliminate the dropouts. However, if that jitter still persists with your VCR's settings, you can try capturing a small clip 5 times and do some averaging to see if that works. It may alleviate that jitter somewhat and then you can use Neat Video's temporal filter for further improvements.

Code:
    clip1=AviSource("your 1st capture").Trim(a,0)
    clip2=AviSource("your 2nd capture").Trim(b,0)
    clip3=AviSource("your 3rd capture").Trim(c,0)
    clip4=AviSource("your 4th capture").Trim(d,0)
    clip5=AviSource("your 5th capture").Trim(e,0)

MedianBlend(clip1,clip2,clip3,clip4,clip5,low=1,high=1)#Drops the most white, and the most black pixel, and averages the rest.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok. Thanks. Upon further review, that jitter was was a transition from one recorded segment to another

Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello all,
    I have resubmitted a sample to tell me what you think can be done. Again, I used a JVC SR-V101US VCR for playback (with TBC/NR on, video stabilizer off, Digital R3 off, and picture control on 'edit'). I used the ATI 600USB for capture device. I capped with virtualdub (no filters) and saved to lagarith yuy2 .avi. I tried various combinations and settings on the JVC vcr. But, these settings yielded the best results.

Here is the link:
    http://wikisend.com/download/461148/SampleSgan.avi

Here is the link:
    http://wikisend.com/download/461148/SampleSgan.avi
    Quote Quote