VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. [url=http]text[/url] Denvers Dawgs's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    A friend of mine came to me with the problem, figured I'd see if anyone here can give it a go, since I'm not using W7 yet.

"I have encountered a computer problem that I have not been able to fix myself, so I thought I might as well ask here if anyone can help (wouldn't hurt).

I currently on a Dual OS setup, with XP 32 bit and Windows 7 RC 7100 64 bit. I have 2 hard drives (same model) with 4 partitions one for each OS one for Documents and temp storage, and one for storage. One thing that makes it a little tricky is that in XP, drive C: is XP D: Windows 7 E: Documents F: Storage, but in Windows 7 C: is Windows 7 D: XP E: Storage F: Documents. My problem is that in Windows 7 i can't access the drive with my documents on (the F: drive). I get an Access Denied error and it shows as empty.

When I right click on the drive and select properties there is no security tab, but if I go through the Administrative Tools and Device Management I do get a security tab. I have changed the permissions to full control on all user accounts, but it didn't change anything.

I can access the drive in XP and if I boot Windows 7 in Safe Mode i can actually access the drive, but i still can't figure out what it is that blocks me."

Any ideas why he's having this problem?
    What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity....
    Quote Quote  
  2. He may need to assume ownership of the folders first.
    Believing yourself to be secure only takes one cracker to dispel your belief.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Denvers Dawgs
    in Windows 7 i can't access the drive with my documents on (the F: drive). I get an Access Denied error and it shows as empty.
    Any chance drive F overlaps with the CD/DVD drive? If so, assign a higher letter to the CD/DVD drive. I've had this happen.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I figured that 1 out, it has nothing to do with ownership, you have to go to "Documents" properties and include drive F: in "Documents"

Right click on "Documents" and select radio button "include a folder", and add the whole drive

You have to do the same thing with your music folder if your music isn't on the C: drive, so that when you rip CD's with Media Player they go into your music folder

ocgw

peace
    i7 2700K @ 4.4Ghz 16GB DDR3 1600 Samsung Pro 840 128GB Seagate 2TB HDD EVGA GTX 650
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic368691.html
    Quote Quote