VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. A list of free software for video editing (on a list making website called L-Lists).

Which of these programs have you used? Which would you recommend?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Depends on what you want to do.

What do you mean by "edit"?
    Using what formats?
    What corrections, additions, repairs, inserted audio, titles, etc. ? ? ? ?
    Smart-rendering of lossy encoded media?
    With what output in mind? PC display? Set top player? DVD? BD? AVCHD? DV? Multi-format players? Web display?

This is another way of saying that your proposed question/idea/poll is too vague.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 19th Mar 2014 at 08:29.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    He's right, need more info on what you actually want to do.

Though I did have a look at that list. Most of the ones there I'd say are good are only for linux.

The only windows ones there I'd say are good are avidemux (also for linux) and virtualdub.

I've used avidemux in windows and still use it in linux. Virtualdub has a lot of fans among video geeks who know a hell of a lot more than I do but I'm very bothered by the fact that their site docs mostly refer to win 95/98/2000 and rarely mention any version beyond xp. I've never really used it myself.

Vdub, like most all editors with any power, isn't what I'd call a beginner program. Avidemux is the only one I'm aware of with any power that's suitable for newbies, and many newbies wouldn't necessarily agree with me on that.

With many editors (and pretty much all the easy ones) you can't just cut the video anywhere you want. This is what sanlyn refers to by smart rendering. And the ones that do smart cutting won't do it with all formats.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Forgot to mention Avisynth, but I don't know why it's listed because it's not strictly an "editor". Also shows stuff like Windows Movie Maker, which is among the very worst of the typical apps listed. AviDemux = pretty competent, but it still depends on what you're doing with your videos.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 19th Mar 2014 at 08:29.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by blueishred View Post
    A list of free software for video editing (on a list making website called L-Lists).

Which of these programs have you used? Which would you recommend?
    I use AviUtl for most of my need but it is not listed on the site you mentioned.
    For a freeware, it has NLE features, loads of built-in filters and community-contributed effects, and yesterday I have released a plugin for Motion/Object tracking.

However, the linux camp may not be happy with this as it does not run well on *nix(need troublesome setting with WINE).
    Also, most resources are written in Japanese, so unless someone(such as me) who knows both English and Japanese translated such resources, the non-JP speaking community will never know they even exists.
    Quote Quote