VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Ok I just got the newest comcast dvr figuring I could keep using my hdpvr like always. It's the hdpvr 1 which is component only.

I didn't realize the new box DOES NOT HAVE COMPONENT OUT!!!!

So will the hdpvr 2 work with a cable dvr hdmi output?

It's the xg1a model. Maybe xc1a hard to tell the model number is written really small on the front.

It also doesn't have a firewire out so that's not an option either.

Does anybody know if its worth buying a new hdpvr for the hdmi in recording?

I'm assuming if it does work it will only be the standard channels and no premium which I believe would be the most encrypted.

Is it worth it to me to buy a hdpvr 2 or am I screwed here with the new dvr?

Edit - also it does have composite out but that is a big step backwards so I don't want to go there.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe but only if you get your hands on a special splitter
    There's not much to do but then I can't do much anyway.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gll99 View Post
    Maybe but only if you get your hands on a special splitter
    Care to be more specific?

YOu don't mean those hd fury do-dads that are supposed to strip hdcp do you?
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/334145-HDCP-strippers

A bit deeper in the thread there are 2 and 4 way splitters that have a secondary beneficial effect you might find useful.

btw) If you get the right one it works with all channels and the PS3 over hdmi.

btw) Of course I only use mine to split my signal to 2 displays. This should be 100% legal.
    Last edited by gll99; 1st Mar 2014 at 22:58.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

A bit deeper in the thread there are 2 and 4 way splitters that have a secondary beneficial effect you might find useful.
    Actually seeing that the hdfury is supposed to be hdmi to component that would actually be better. It would save me from having to buy a new hdpvr. I could use it to output to the hdpvr.

Though that could be a bit clunky as I could only watch on the computer while dubbing (its hooked up to the same tv but it would be more of a hassle since I'd have to unhook and then reconnect it back to my tv after dubbing.

You don't happen to have those links handy do you ? I'll start reading through it though anyway.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post

Actually seeing that the hdfury is supposed to be hdmi to component that would actually be better. It would save me from having to buy a new hdpvr. I could use it to output to the hdpvr.

Though that could be a bit clunky as I could only watch on the computer while dubbing (its hooked up to the same tv but it would be more of a hassle since I'd have to unhook and then reconnect it back to my tv after dubbing.

You don't happen to have those links handy do you ? I'll start reading through it though anyway.

Thanks.
    No I jumped into the topic when the splitter topic came up in that thread and ordered a couple from 2 sources 1 from China and other from the States. They turned out to be identical models I wasn't interested in the hdfury but it was a while ago. I already own the HDPVR1 and my HDbox has component as well as HDMI but I bought the HDPVR2 hoping to get rid of the heavy component cables but the splitter is what made that work.

EDIT:

Look around post 171-172 page 6 for me. Could be the 1st mention of the topic. Mine is like the pic in post 174
    Last edited by gll99; 1st Mar 2014 at 23:16.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    Actually seeing that the hdfury is supposed to be hdmi to component that would actually be better. It would save me from having to buy a new hdpvr.
    A $20 HDCP stripper and a new HD PVR2 won't cost you much more than an HDFury. It might even be chaper depending on which HDFury you're looking at. And you'll get better picture quality.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you want to use the HDFury, get a matrix splitter. One output to TV. Second output to HDFury. Then no more unhooking and reconnecting to worry about. Just leave everything in place permanently.

Matrix splitters aren't terribly expensive.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks everyone.

I took a macgyver type approach and am going to hack this job a little bit.

I did order one of the 1x4 hdmi splitters that gll99 mentioned.

However I was looking at the hdpvr 2 and I couldn't see any less than 80.00 or so used on ebay. They go for like a 150.00 or so new if I remember right.

So it might introduce noise along the chain but I decided to order a HDMI TO COMPONENT converter box.

So I'll have the splitter from the cable box going to the tv and then to the hdmi/component adapter and then to the hdpvr.

I know it's probably being too cheap and might complicate things more. However I didn't go totally cheap and try those hdmi to component cables I've seen on ebay and amazon. A simple cable spliced together doesn't seem like it work to me. I'd rather have a little black box with circuitry doing stuff.

Thanks everyone.

Hopefully this less than a 100.00 approach will work with my existing equipment. If the hdpvr 2 weren't so pricey I would have gone that route with the stripper.

Thanks.

Edit - oh and I'll be using the fiber optic out from the cable box directly to the hdpvr 1.

I might possibly get both next weekend. They didn't have express shipping available but I wanted to keep the price down anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  10. If you decide to get a HDFury, be careful; there are a couple knockoffs out there, dunno how well they work, if at all.

This does what the HDFury does, and I can confirm that it works:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B7GD44A/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have my Roku routed through a cvid 1x4 splitter/stripper, one HDMI output to TV, another to the ViewHD converter and thence to my (original) HDPVR. Note that the converter has optical out, which I route through the HDPVR and receiver. My receiver is older and does not have HDMI so it the only way to get surround audio from the Roku to my receiver. (I should get a new receiver, I know, but this way is satisfactory for now).
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yoda313, please post your results when you get this operational. I have 3 hd pvrs and dreading the day the cable box can't supply component.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dianedebuda View Post
    yoda313, please post your results when you get this operational. I have 3 hd pvrs and dreading the day the cable box can't supply component.
    I'll be glad to.

It sounds like fritizi is doing what I'm planning on doing.

I'll be taking the hdmi out to the splitter and than that to the hdmi to component converter and then to the hdpvr.

I know it would be cleaner and more efficient to get a hdpvr 2 and go hdmi to hdmi. However thats an extra 100.00 i don't want to spend right now.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    But fritizi's link shows "currently unavailable"...
    Quote Quote  
  14. Okay, the model number is: VHD-H2YVs. That should help with finding it.

I see it's still on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ViewHD-Two-Input-HDMI-to-RGB-Component-YPbPr-VGA-2x1-Switch-Co...item3f2467b448

A better description than on the Amazon page:

http://www.hdmitorcaconverter.com/2011/10/viewhd-hdmi-to-component-rcavga.html

I think the HDFury knockoff at Amazon is priced about the same, and it was in the comments that I found out. About it not being the genuine article, I mean. Some said it worked okay, others not. If memory serves, the genuine HDFury is (was?) over $150 bucks. I may be wrong about that, but there you are.

Of course, maybe someone will say the ViewHD unit is an HDFury knockoff as well. At any rate, it works.

Good luck.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  15. Here's the one I'm talking about:

http://www.amazon.com/Loftek%C2%AE-HDfuryproTwo-Component-Converter-Surround/dp/B009YP...+rca+converter

You know, comparing the image to my ViewHD unit, it looks identical.

[EDIT] Ah, I missed at first glance that it shows more than one view. Yes, it looks the same from front and back.
    Last edited by fritzi93; 2nd Mar 2014 at 18:05.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry I posted in the wrong thread. Fyi I got the hdpvr 2 gaming edition plus 1504 today and I got it working. I can record hd video over hdmi and with 5.1 ac3 audio using fiber optic in.

The link for my post is here:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/362942-Is-there-any-way-to-record-5-1-from-hdmi-wit...=1#post2308604

Sorry.
    Quote Quote