VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In the near future i plan to purchase an HDTV??I have tons of avi files,compressed with divx/xvid.I currently have an older tube tv and s-video connection from philips dvp 640,and the picture quality of my avi's (most dvd rips)is really good.I was wondering how will they look on an hdtv,i know different Tv's have different resolution capabilities.If i upgrade a dvd player to one with hdmi and play avi on it,what will the quality be like??Also at what resolution they would be best quality??I will choose between Plasma or Lcd.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    They will look like crap. Every flaw inherent in heavily compressed Xvid and Divx files - blockiness, colour pulsing in low toanal range areas, poor low light compression etc - will be shown in all it's ugliness. If you are getting a true HDTV, as opposed to one that will accept, then down sample, a HD signal, then resolution will be 1920 x 1080 minimum. It won't matter how good your DVD player is if you source is a 620 x 282 Xvid at 780 kbps. In fact, if it doesn't look like total crap, you have a major problem with your TV.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Everything depends of the source. Don't forget the resolution of the old days was low, even if your clips are recent if they are not hd resolution it wont look too good. Don't be afraid this is normal. I hope this helps you.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is there a way to convert those avi's(dvd rips)back to their original dvd format,quality wise and all??This way i would just deal with a normal dvd files.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The reason i asked this question was because most these avi's are dvd rips ,and on my tube tv i see no diffrence they seem just like dvd movies.I actually have some of the same videos both in avi and original dvd and i see no difference,so i was wondering how they will look on an hdtv.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You will never get the quality back. The only thing you can do is re-rip your original movies.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I wouldn't re-encode them again from a Xvid or similar. You will just lose more quality. I watch Xvids all the time on my HD video projector screen and they look fine. Sure, not like a DVD or a HD video, but OK. I have a 5 X 8 ft screen.

I would put it this way, they will probably look a lot better than standard definition TV on a HDTV screen.
    Quote Quote