VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm posting this on Handbrake's support forum (Didn't know there was one when I posted, sorry)
    Ok, I ripped my DVD library to full ISO's using DVD Decrypter and had success 95% of the time. I installed AnyDVD and for some reason it seemed to work on the failed DVD's after that. So, all my DVD's are now in ISO format and seem to work fine.

So, I want to try converting to h.264 to get an idea of what I'm in for in the near future with regards to a big encoding project.

I open handbrake and use the default settings, choose the source (an ISO mounted with SlySoft Virtual CD Drive), and start the encoding to a destination that is not the same as that where the ISO lies. I'm getting about 450 FPS conversion and then it crashes at about 9%. I've tried a number of discs, all mounted the same way and the same result.

Can I just load an ISO without mounting it? Would that help? Why is Handbrake crashing?

I've tried 120 second previews and it works fine there.

What's going on here?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, this is driving me nuts!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try vidcoder. It supports iso directly and is using the handbrake engine.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Try vidcoder. It supports iso directly and is using the handbrake engine.
    THANKS! That's the kind of help I need that I wouldn't have gotten on the Handbrake forum!
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm getting an error with this as well. It seems to be something with encoding and my machine. If I just let the encoder run and don't do anything else, like switch off the screen to another app, it seems fine, but switch to another screen and it errors within 30 seconds and closes down. It does with with WinX-ripper and other programs. Handbrake does it even while staying on screen.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried with different dvd isos? Maybe it's just one iso that causes problem.

Or else it may be an hardware problem. Like CPU overheating.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Have you tried with different dvd isos? Maybe it's just one iso that causes problem.

Or else it may be an hardware problem. Like CPU overheating.
    Nope to both of those. Brand new computer with HIGH airflow and it only does it if I minimize the application. I can successfully encode if I move the app over to another screen instead of minimizing it. I've tried a number of ISO's and it's the same.

I like VidEncoder! That is a great program, thanks for telling me about it!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Is there a way to do 2 pass encoding or optimize it to even better quality (highest quality) with H.264?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Is there a way to do 2 pass encoding or optimize it to even better quality (highest quality) with H.264?
    Both HanBrake as well as VidCoder has a checkbox on the Video tab for 2-pass encoding. Also you might use Constant Quality instead (lower value=higher quality
    Quote Quote  
  9. It looks like it is over heating. It is hitting 71 degrees C and I'm stopping it there. I just installed the system monitor on the machine and had no idea that the encoding would put so much stress on the CPU. Any suggestions on how to keep this cool? Do I really need to go to liquid cooling?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by tuprox View Post
    It looks like it is over heating. It is hitting 71 degrees C and I'm stopping it there. I just installed the system monitor on the machine and had no idea that the encoding would put so much stress on the CPU. Any suggestions on how to keep this cool? Do I really need to go to liquid cooling?
    Depending on the CPU, 71 degrees isn't necessarily too hot. Chances are if the CPU is just using the stock Intel cooler it'll get pretty warm when encoding. It might pay to upgrade the CPU heatsink/fan. I just replaced mine with this and it does the job nicely, and my CPU is slightly overclocked. Or there's this slightly beefier version. They're fairly cheap and shouldn't require you to remove the motherboard from the PC case to install them.

I've also got an older dual core running on the stock Intel cooler. I don't use it for encoding much as it's slow, but when I do it'll run between 70 and 75 degrees for hours on end without a problem. The older Intel multicore CPUs at least (I'm not sure about the current line-up), have a maximum core temperature of around 100 to 110 degrees before they start to slow themselves down. Core temperatures generally run at around 10 degrees hotter then the over-all CPU temperature when the CPU is working hard. If the difference is more than 10 degrees, then you probably do need better cooling. My quadcore (Q9450) runs between 60 and 65 degrees when converting on a warm day, even with the beefier cooler. It'll run like that fine. My current batch of converting jobs started a couple of days ago so it's been sitting on close to 65 degrees for days.

I'm not sure it's a temperature problem. If it was overheating it'd effect whole PC (it'd probably lock up or shut down etc) not just bring encoding to a standstill. What's the error message bring reported?

For the record, if you're converting ISO files, it's easy to extract their contents first. ISO files are kind of like zip files for discs, and any decent compression program (TugZip comes to mind as it's free) should be able to extract the contents of an ISO file just as it would a zip file. When it's done, you'll have all the usual DVD vts and vob files on your hard drive which you can open for encoding.

The above is pretty much referring just to Intel CPUs. I don't really know much about AMD.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Another possibility is that there is a lot of dust in the heat sink/fan.
    Perhaps get a can of compressed air and blow it out.
    Quote Quote